Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Aside from setting aperture ring into " A " position, the menu for aperture ring must enable. Ok got it.
Setting aperture ring into "A" position just makes lens act like lens without aperture ring.There are many other issues.

This article is a good place to start. We may forget something here, but article is complete.
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

08-09-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've had a few days to test my K-S2 after getting it back from PC35 PhotoLab where I'd sent it to have my Aperture Control Block problem fixed. I sent the camera off on July 23, and received it back August 6. I consider that prompt service especially given they test the camera a few days after the repair.

I have shot about 250 pictures since receiving the camera, using 4 or 5 different lenses, and have not had one single dark frame. The camera feels like its "old self," the camera I have loved enthusiastically since I got it in 2015. It has gotten a lot of rough handling, exposure to water, dust, soft drink spills, high desert heat, just to name a few, and has performed well. The Aperture problem really upset me because I don't want to replace this camera yet, it's just too good of a fit for my lifestyle.

Anyhow, for now, with several days of testing, I can say for the moment the problem seems fixed and I am a happy camper.
08-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
" In the menu section, you must "Enable" the item number for the KS-2 that refers to "enabling aperture ring," then you can release the shutter. You still get the "F---," bit the camera will fire. "

Pentax FA 28-105 mm F 4-5.6
To west penn, I did that but still red flashing " F " occurs at dark places., I can not manually rotate aperture ring to change the f value because it is set to " A " position. I do not have that green button function in KS2 to change the f value. The shutter will not fire if red flashing F is seen. Any thought on this?
08-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #49
Pentaxian

" In the menu section, you must "Enable" the item number for the KS-2 that refers to "enabling aperture ring," then you can release the shutter. You still get the "F---," bit the camera will fire. "

Pentax FA 28-105 mm F 4-5.6
To west penn, I did that but still red flashing " F " occurs at dark places., I can not manually rotate aperture ring to change the f value because it is set to " A " position. I do not have that green button function in KS2 to change the f value. The shutter will not fire if red flashing F is seen. Any thought on this?
Did you read the article I pointed you to???
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

On my K-30, and I believe all the Pentax cameras are like that, once the aperture ring is in the "A" position, the aperture is controlled just as it is for any lens without the aperture ring - by the camera body when in 'Tv' or 'P' mode, or by you using the aperture ring when in 'M' mode. Only in the latter case do you have to deal with the "complexities" of "green button mode".

08-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Penview52, just to the left of the "A" marking on the aperture ring is a small button. You need to press and hold that button in order to rotate the ring off of the "A" position.
08-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Your suggestions will not hold true on KS2.
Lens will not work if aperture is not set to "A" position.
08-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Did you read

Second line is "if you're wondering whether or not these lenses can be used with Pentax DSLRs (or the K-01), then the answer is yes! Pentax as well as third-party manual and screwmount lenses can easily be mounted on any Pentax DSLR (such as the K-1, KP, K-3, K-70, K-S2, K-S1, K-50, K-500, K-30, K-5 series, K-r, K-x, K-7, K10D, K100D, K200D, *ist D, etc.) Just follow this guide!" {emphasis added by me}

I won't say any more if you're convinced that you know something Adam doesn't know

"

08-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to read the KS-2 owner's manual. Specifically, see page 29, item number 28 - Using Aperture Ring.
08-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #54
Veteran Member

" see page 29, item number 28 - Using Aperture Ring."

Yes the above is enabled, and the aperture is set to " A" position, it works in auto mode but it does not hold true at night because I found out that the lens is " restricted use in KS2 " as per lens compatibility specs. I have to say old lens is not for the newer camera, thanks to everyone.
08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PenView52, I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make regarding page 29, item 28. By enabling the use of aperture ring, you "enables the shutter to release when the lens aperture ring is set to a position other than A (Auto)." You move the aperture ring by pressing and holding the button while rotating the aperture ring. Once it is off the "A" position, the ring can be turned to which ever aperture you want.

You may also need to look at page 29, item 17, regarding AF,S Setting (and also page 55). If you have item 17 set to "focus priority" and you can't focus the lens because it is too dark to focus, the shutter can not be released. If you set it to "release priority," you can release the shutter whenever you fully press the shutter button even if it is not in focus.
08-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #56
Veteran Member

" You move the aperture ring by pressing and holding the button while rotating the aperture ring. Once it is off the "A" position, the ring can be turned to which ever aperture you want. "

This will not work on my KS2. Once the aperture is not set to " A " KS2 will not work.
08-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
So I've had a few days to test my K-S2 after getting it back from PC35 PhotoLab where I'd sent it to have my Aperture Control Block problem fixed. I sent the camera off on July 23, and received it back August 6. I consider that prompt service especially given they test the camera a few days after the repair.

I have shot about 250 pictures since receiving the camera, using 4 or 5 different lenses, and have not had one single dark frame. The camera feels like its "old self," the camera I have loved enthusiastically since I got it in 2015. It has gotten a lot of rough handling, exposure to water, dust, soft drink spills, high desert heat, just to name a few, and has performed well. The Aperture problem really upset me because I don't want to replace this camera yet, it's just too good of a fit for my lifestyle.

Anyhow, for now, with several days of testing, I can say for the moment the problem seems fixed and I am a happy camper.
Do you mind if I ask the price paid for the repair? My KS-2 has just begun this same problem , but this is encouraging to hear! I'd love to get it repaired if it is economical.
08-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Do you mind if I ask the price paid for the repair? My KS-2 has just begun this same problem , but this is encouraging to hear! I'd love to get it repaired if it is economical.
Here is the link with instructions for how to set up the repair:

Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair
08-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have kept up using my K-S2 with the repaired aperture control block, and it is holding up. The camera feels solid, like it always has, and I'm loving using it again. The K3 is back to being my back up body. Anyone else try the repair with PC35 Photolab?
08-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #60
Pentaxian

My K-S2 threw a few dark frames at me this afternoon. Probably not a good sign. Manufactured 2015:04:16. I've had it since November 2015, shutter count is 43,627.