Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
My K-S2 threw a few dark frames at me this afternoon. Probably not a good sign. Manufactured 2015:04:16. I've had it since November 2015, shutter count is 43,627.
I am really glad I sent mine off for repair. It is solid now and my enjoyment of using the K-S2, which to my mind is one of the best "total package" cameras I've ever owned, has returned. I can't put it down.

12-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #62
k22
Site Supporter

I bought a K-S1 and K-S2 about three years ago. Both have around 4000 clicks. The K-S1 aperture block failed this summer and now the K-S2 is starting to go. I've used manual Pentaxes since the 70's and loved the brand. But I'm really disappointed in these two DSLRs.
12-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
I bought a K-S1 and K-S2 about three years ago. Both have around 4000 clicks. The K-S1 aperture block failed this summer and now the K-S2 is starting to go. I've used manual Pentaxes since the 70's and loved the brand. But I'm really disappointed in these two DSLRs.
My K-30 had the problem, and people who haven't experienced it, can't understand the disappointment.

What I learned from it, is NEVER buy a camera in the first 12 months after release, and do a thorough investigation into "known problems", before buying.
12-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's disappointing. As I understand it, very few have seen this problem with the K-S2. Sorry you have struck this problem.

12-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I am really glad I sent mine off for repair. It is solid now and my enjoyment of using the K-S2, which to my mind is one of the best "total package" cameras I've ever owned, has returned. I can't put it down.
Where did you send it off to?
12-19-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #66
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
My K-30 had the problem, and people who haven't experienced it, can't understand the disappointment.

What I learned from it, is NEVER buy a camera in the first 12 months after release, and do a thorough investigation into "known problems", before buying.
You would think that this would have been straightened out after the K-30.
12-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #67
Pentaxian

You would think that this would have been straightened out after the K-30.
This problem often takes two or three years to develop.
I'm guessing Receiving Inspection of parts doesn't do much to separate 'good' from 'bad'.
'Good' and 'bad' parts all we assigned the same part number in their system.
The usual tools for addressing problems of this kind would be of limited value.

12-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This problem often takes two or three years to develop.
I'm guessing Receiving Inspection of parts doesn't do much to separate 'good' from 'bad'.
'Good' and 'bad' parts all we assigned the same part number in their system.
The usual tools for addressing problems of this kind would be of limited value.
Since my K-S2 is only about 4 months old, I'll keep an eye on this issue--it doesn't seem to be universal. Because I have the 3 Pentaxes in my 'Troika' I rotate them depending on the situation (though since I got the KP after Thanksgiving, I'm having trouble putting it down) and will presume that the issue won't appear, if it does at all, until several thousand shots have accrued....
12-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Since my K-S2 is only about 4 months old, I'll keep an eye on this issue--it doesn't seem to be universal. Because I have the 3 Pentaxes in my 'Troika' I rotate them depending on the situation (though since I got the KP after Thanksgiving, I'm having trouble putting it down) and will presume that the issue won't appear, if it does at all, until several thousand shots have accrued....
The aperture control issue appears to be much less common on the K-S2. It is most common on the K-30/50. Experience with the K-30/50 was that calendar time {typically over two years} seemed to be more important than shot count, and the problem often hit cameras that had been idle for awhile (*), so forcing yourself to use your K-S2 on occasion (**) may be the best way of avoiding the issue.

(*) Often someone would report something like "I last used my K-50 for Christmas snapshots; when I took it off the shelf to record my son's first steps four months later, it failed me".

(**) Just for "old times sake" I used my K-30 to photograph our Christmas tree. After finding four usable AA-batteries, it felt so awkward just a month after it was my regular camera .... I can see why someone would just use the KP for everything.
12-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The aperture control issue appears to be much less common on the K-S2. It is most common on the K-30/50. Experience with the K-30/50 was that calendar time {typically over two years} seemed to be more important than shot count, and the problem often hit cameras that had been idle for awhile (*), so forcing yourself to use your K-S2 on occasion (**) may be the best way of avoiding the issue.

(*) Often someone would report something like "I last used my K-50 for Christmas snapshots; when I took it off the shelf to record my son's first steps four months later, it failed me".

(**) Just for "old times sake" I used my K-30 to photograph our Christmas tree. After finding four usable AA-batteries, it felt so awkward just a month after it was my regular camera .... I can see why someone would just use the KP for everything.
REH:
As usual, way to break down a Pentax issue into useable increments. I had a K-50 and had nothing but joy: no aperture failure, no freeze-ups--just good solid photographs. On the other hand, since we bought our KP's within a week of each other, I agree that it is really well designed and such a leap in tech and overall ergonomics than the K-30/50 series.....more than pleased with it, regardless of what Pentax delivers for the 100th anniversary of ASAHI Corp.
01-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems that Ricoh finally did something after December 2015:
Darkexposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - Page 5 -PentaxForums.com

One can check the date of any Pentax here:
CheckCamera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

If a K-S1 or K-S2 was built before Dezember 2015, they could very well develope this same old problem many K30/50/500s have.

What they did to solve in minimize the problem I don't know, because my K-S2 was built before this date and I repaired it using the "made in Japan" solenoid.
01-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It seems that Ricoh finally did something after December 2015:
Darkexposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - Page 5 -PentaxForums.com

One can check the date of any Pentax here:
CheckCamera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

If a K-S1 or K-S2 was built before Dezember 2015, they could very well develope this same old problem many K30/50/500s have.

What they did to solve in minimize the problem I don't know, because my K-S2 was built before this date and I repaired it using the "made in Japan" solenoid.
Can you check date of manufacture via the serial number on the bottom of the camera?

---------- Post added 01-06-19 at 07:40 PM ----------

Can you check date of manufacture via the serial number on the bottom of the camera?
Just checked it--4/1/2015.........so I guess after a couple years it's gone.....is it hard to repair the solenoid if that is the issue?
01-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, because serialnumbers seem different for different colours

Just checked it--4/1/2015.........so I guess after a couple years it's gone.....is it hard to repair the solenoid if that is the issue?
So it is an early version.

No, not hard at all, just get the right one, either from one of the mentioned bodies or buy it on ebay.

Make sure you discharge the flash condensor or you leave your body a few days without use.
Don't open the flash with the batterie inside, this charges the capacitor.

Make sure you follow the known instructions and that the AF switch is on green AF-S position.
When you assemble to front part back you check that the inner part of this switch is "downwards".
After you brought the frontpart back into its position you check the function of this switch:

On AF-S (green) position the screwdrive of the motor pops out
On M position it moves in.

If you did not align the inner and outer part proberly the screwdrive is stuck!

This happens easely when the body is open, this inner part of the switch moves very quickly "out of position" due to not being fixed by the outer part of the switch.
So make sure you check this first before inserting all screws. Very few people had this problem and had to open the body again.
01-08-2019, 04:29 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No, because serialnumbers seem different for different colours

So it is an early version.

No, not hard at all, just get the right one, either from one of the mentioned bodies or buy it on ebay.

Make sure you discharge the flash condensor or you leave your body a few days without use.
Don't open the flash with the batterie inside, this charges the capacitor.

Make sure you follow the known instructions and that the AF switch is on green AF-S position.
When you assemble to front part back you check that the inner part of this switch is "downwards".
After you brought the frontpart back into its position you check the function of this switch:

On AF-S (green) position the screwdrive of the motor pops out
On M position it moves in.

If you did not align the inner and outer part proberly the screwdrive is stuck!

This happens easely when the body is open, this inner part of the switch moves very quickly "out of position" due to not being fixed by the outer part of the switch.
So make sure you check this first before inserting all screws. Very few people had this problem and had to open the body again.
Or send it to precision for a repair.....thanks for the explanation, but so far no failure (have less than 1000 clicks on the K-S2 as I use it only as a back up to the other bodies...hopefully, I got one that doesn't fail or if it does, way down the road where its resale is very little and easily replaced....
01-09-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or send it to precision for a repair.....
As far as I know they then use the same green China solenoid.
Quite a few DLSR repaired for this part at official repair places failed again soon after about 1 year.
I have read of several cases in a German forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
This is the way I've always done it. Also prices are not that high anymore. Only exception was the DA20-40 limited, I had to have it (and still have it and am very happy with it). I can also wait longer.