Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I am really glad I sent mine off for repair. It is solid now and my enjoyment of using the K-S2, which to my mind is one of the best "total package" cameras I've ever owned, has returned. I can't put it down.
I need to let you all know that while my K-S2 had the aperture block repair in August of 2018, it has now failed again. The repair lasted about 15 months.

I think it's time to get a new camera, and I am going to research if any of the new models have the same parts that led to this problem.

Looks like it's a bigger issue than just the parts swap.

12-08-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #137
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to let you all know that while my K-S2 had the aperture block repair in August of 2018, it has now failed again. The repair lasted about 15 months.

I think it's time to get a new camera, and I am going to research if any of the new models have the same parts that led to this problem.

Sorry to hear. If the repair was done with a green solenoid, then it's not that surprising that it should fail again. There's no reason why you can't repair it yourself - just use the correct white solenoid and you should be all good.
12-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I am sorry to hear that your problem has re-occurred.

To answer the question you now ask, the K-70 is the only currently manufactured camera which has solenoid-powered body aperture-control like the K-S2 does. Personally, when my K-30 started to 'reliably' fail, I got an FA 28-105 lens and continued under lens-ring control of the aperture. Today I am using a KP, which has the same {stepper motor powered} body aperture-control as the K-3 family does. MarkJering is correct that the "white" solenoid seems to last, unlike the "green" one, so if you are physically capable, doing your own substitution is also an option.
12-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The problem pushed me away from purchasing a brand new K-S2 for my son last July. I was tempted but I was thankful I resisted the temptation. I had my son use my k-5II for our trip. All went well. I wish Pentax will move away from this technology. They should stick to the KP and the k-3 series technology to avoid such problems.

12-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
MarkJering is correct that the "white" solenoid seems to last, unlike the "green" one, so if you are physically capable, doing your own substitution is also an option.
The white solenoid doesn't "seem to last", it lasts!
Huge difference.
12-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #141

Purchased my K-S2 September 2017 from McBain's in Edmonton, Alberta and after just under 4000 pictures, it is still going strong!
12-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluesguy Quote
Purchased my K-S2 September 2017 from McBain's in Edmonton, Alberta and after just under 4000 pictures, it is still going strong!
Well, you can check the manufacturing date and if it is a post-Dec.2015 model, it is much less likely to happen.

12-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #143

Photos: Albums
Got an aperture block on my Ks-2 about a week ago, didn't realize what it was till I started researching it yesterday. Found out that if you cycle optical preview a number of times with aperture set to less than wide open that it might just free up the solenoid. Well I got lucky I guess cause all is back to normal for now.
12-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dodik Quote
Got an aperture block on my Ks-2 about a week ago, didn't realize what it was till I started researching it yesterday. Found out that if you cycle optical preview a number of times with aperture set to less than wide open that it might just free up the solenoid. Well I got lucky I guess cause all is back to normal for now.
Optical preview can help because it does use the solenoid, but when it is really stuck opt. preview won't work anymore.
Best is ALWAYS to have the white Japan-solenoid ready and then find a good quite moment to do the work.
If you can move buttons, levers and knobs on a Pentax, you can repair it as well.

The biggest hinderance usually is our "head": It isn't set on Tv, Av, Tav, P, M but on A or SCN-mode.
So one has to get away from A-Mode (= I can't do it) but learn.
12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #145

Photos: Albums
opt preview didn't work the first 20-30 tries, then it went just a bit lighter and I kept trying it and using bracketing. I am not saying its a fix but for whatever reason not a whole lot of mentions I found on this forum about it, this may help someone in a pinch on a trip etc.
If this didn't work i'd replace it no problem. I got a couple dozen film cameras that i learned how to bring back from the dead so this isn't a problem for me. Using all those cameras is what kills ks-2 its been sitting on a shelf for like two month at least, and before that i used manual lenses on it anyway.
12-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dodik Quote
opt preview didn't work the first 20-30 tries, then it went just a bit lighter and I kept trying it and using bracketing. I am not saying its a fix but for whatever reason not a whole lot of mentions I found on this forum about it, this may help someone in a pinch on a trip etc.
Bracketing is for sure a better solution than serial shots. Serial shots have led in the past to mal-alignement in the complex mechanism due to the solenoid being stuck but the rest trying to move (by force)
12-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr photogem sir,

Do you know for sure if both solenoids in a "ist DL" are the same as each other, i.e. ohms ?
12-11-2019, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
Mr photogem sir,

Do you know for sure if both solenoids in a "ist DL" are the same as each other, i.e. ohms ?
Yes, 100% sure!
12-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, thank you.
12-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a "parts" ist in waiting just incase!