Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
I hope the ones that are fixed by repairshops get the white solenoid type used in the older camera's . K-x and before.
Normally Pentax official repair partners usually get only a new green one (made in China).
The repairshops never use the white one because they can't get it new.
The green one possibly costs "them" 1-2 dollars so why should they:
- invest about 30 min. time to disassemble an old *ist/K100D/Kx etc including testing the solenoid?
- spend the money for an old DSLR body?
when they can have it the cheap way?

Some even modify the green solenoid!

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I do see an ad for fixing the 30, 50, et al for $100, guess I'll have to do that if/when it gets worse.
This is photolab35 in California. He does the grinding/filing job and what comes out you can see here:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

But it can happen worse, I have seen this to happen:

The white wheel got blocked because the filed/sanded plunger in this green China solenoid jammed and thus the spring "jumped out".

This then means a lot of work because one needs to exchange the complete diaphragm block:
Pentax 77860-G0100 Diaphragm Control Block | K-S2 | K-30 | K-50 | PartsUSCamera

Then a good solution is to swap the green China-solenoid on this block against the white Japan version
because often the green bugger sticks again.

Last edited by photogem; 01-26-2020 at 05:30 AM.
04-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #152
k22
Site Supporter

Just did the repair on my K-S2. Noticed the plunger was a bit gummy, as if lubricant had dried. Cleaned with alcohol and lightly sanded the tips. Not difficult to do. We'll see how long it lasts. So glad to have the camera working. Missed it.
04-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no lubricant on the solenoid. Maybe somebody else lubed it before you bought it thinking lubing might help which is thinking in error.
But sanding the tips of the plunger is an error as well. I have explained this in detail.
The biggest problem can be misalignment of the complex mechanism which simultaniously controls mirror up and diaphragm control.
This photo shows a corroded plunger, it's surface has been sanded:

And this photo shows exodus after misalignment when one of the toothed wheels got blocked:

If the gearmechanism is misaligned one has to change the complete diaphragm-control-block and then align, it takes hour, did it once, never again:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/85274-photogem/albums/13069-gear...ture125488.jpg
04-11-2020, 04:58 AM   #154
k22
Site Supporter

bought it new. it felt very lightly gummy. doubt the lightest sanding with fine paper will change alignment. plunger already has small amount of play. btw, read somewhere that the cause could be magnetization of plunger. checked with magnetometer and there was none - fwiw...

04-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The magnetisation is lost pretty soon.

The solenoid acts as a push-pull device:
- The plunger pulls out and away from the permanent magnet when the two coils produce an opposite magnetic field (field-coil) and it acts to drive the diaphragm/aperture

- The plunger pushes back in and.... remains in this position near the permanent magnet!... when not used. So one could say that 99% of its live it is magnetised.
But the magnetism isn't a problem at all, the main factors/problems have been explained in detail.
05-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the problem on my ks-2. It is seldom used, so I'm not surprised. I did the optical preview several times, with the red warning on the bottom of the screen. But after about 6 or 7 tries, the warning turned green, indicating that the apperture had set correctly. That cleared the problem for now.
05-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For now yes, but it won't last!
Don't wait too long but start to search for a Japanese solenoid and then DIY.

05-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
For now yes, but it won't last!
Don't wait too long but start to search for a Japanese solenoid and then DIY.
Or just take out the existing one and give it a bit of sandpaper polish. I did it maybe a year ago and i haven't had any problems since. Just be careful with AF switch, it is easy to leave it manual position when reasambling.
05-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpavorealduos Quote
Or just take out the existing one and give it a bit of sandpaper polish. I did it maybe a year ago and i haven't had any problems since. Just be careful with AF switch, it is easy to leave it manual position when reasambling.
Better first to study:
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com
and maybe this thread:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - PentaxForums.com

It is a very bad idea and has led in many cases to serious damage!
Not always, but if one understands the difference between the Japanese and the Chinese solenoid then it is clear!
05-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Better first to study:
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com
and maybe this thread:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - PentaxForums.com

It is a very bad idea and has led in many cases to serious damage!
Not always, but if one understands the difference between the Japanese and the Chinese solenoid then it is clear!
My ks2 was manufactured 5-2017. Works fine with any of the zoom lenses I have, but gets a dark frame with the primes (35 2.4, 50 1.8)
05-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check as described here with the primes:
How to detect aperture block failure on Pentax K-S1 (and K-S2) - PentaxForums.com
Which zooms are those?
The DA55-300PLM would still work fine because it doesn't need the solenoid.
05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check as described here with the primes:
How to detect aperture block failure on Pentax K-S1 (and K-S2) - PentaxForums.com
Which zooms are those?
The DA55-300PLM would still work fine because it doesn't need the solenoid.
Really, the plm doesn't use the solenoid? I didn't know that. How does that work?

BTW, the plm is the zoom that always works. I found that one of my other zooms failed once or twice today (55-300 wr , not plm)

thanks

---------- Post added 05-23-20 at 05:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
Really, the plm doesn't use the solenoid? I didn't know that. How does that work?

BTW, the plm is the zoom that always works. I found that one of my other zooms failed once or twice today (55-300 wr , not plm)

thanks
found the answer here:
Unlike earlier Pentax lenses, the aperture stop-down lever in the camera is not used to control the diaphragm of this lens. A DSLR launched in 2013 or later is needed to operate this new system (the K-500 is not compatible).

thanks
05-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #163
Forum Member

Hi friends,is there any specific reason why some of those selenoids die early?Frequency of use,humidity,dust?
05-25-2020, 02:15 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read HERE
08-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by Angryman51 Quote
Any ideas what may be causing it?
Maybe the polarity on the connections are reversed? It happens sometimes, though I don't know what the symptoms are. I believe the youtube video on repairing a K-50 shows the solenoid in action after being replaced. Perhaps you can compare it to your camera?