Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Strange behavior of my K-s2 since last week.

I use my new bought K-S2 since nov 2015.

Last week i discovered a strange thing about the noise the camera is making, when you put your ear at the camera.
I am a long-time user of Pentax, I had a K-x for almost 7 years. So I think i am well aware of the SR mechanism, but there is something wrong i am afraid.

When you push the shutter release button half way you hear the humming (?) sound of the SR mechanism much longer than with my K-x. In fact you hear that sound until i really push the button to make the picture. It also keeps on making sound when the shake hand symbol is lit in the viewfinder. So it only stops when i make the Photo. With my K-x it stops immediately when you see the hand symbol in the viewfinder !!

When I put the camera SR off in the menu, also the sound keeps on until i totally push the button.

Strange thing is that at least the K-x works different when I listen to the camera sound.

I really think this behavior of my K-S2 has changed recently and i think something is going wrong now. I don't see it in the direct results. But it does not seem good . The K-S2 is still under warranty, therefor I would like some users of a K-S1, K-S2 or a K70 to check if their camera behavior is different than i describe here. Every help is welcome !!

05-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like normal operation. The SR mechanism makes a bit of noise to keep the sensor steady, regardless of whether or not SR is on. I'd only consider it faulty if you hear the noise outside of live view and when the camera's meter is inactive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
But it is strange to me that with my K-x the sound stops when the SR sign in the viewfinder is lit. And with my K-S2 it keeps on going till i push the button totally. I never heard it until now, although I use the camera for a long time and 15k shots. I would like the other K-s2 users to hear if it happens also with their camera.
05-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wasn't there a change in sensor and SR technology in that period? I'm not sure the SR is doing precisely the same thing.

05-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

There's been considerable improvements to the SR mechanism since the K-x was designed. There are also changes to the materials and design of the camera chassis and body that may affect sound dampening.

It's probably one of those things that was there all along until you notice it and then you can't help but notice it ever after.

As Adam says as long as SR is working as it should and the sound is only active when SR should be active then it probably isn't anything to worry about.
05-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
The strange thing is that when I switch of the SR in the menu, the sound is still there during the half way button push till I make a photo.
05-01-2017, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi krgroothouis

I have the same cameras as you do, a Kx and a K-S2.

My experience with the type of noise you describe is like this:

1 - Kx
Zero humming sound. Just the sound of the lens focusing (if using a autofocus lens), but no sound I can relate to the SR camera system;

2 - K-S2
Humming up to the point of pressing the shooter button half way.
After shooting (pressing the button to the full) it continuous humming for half a second to a second and then stops.
The same happens if a do not shoot - meaning if a release the shooter button without shooting -, but the humming continuous for three seconds.

In LV both cameras have the humming sound all the time LV is active.

So, for me, what you experiencing with your K-S2 is normal.

Best regards,

05-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Hi krgroothouis

2 - K-S2
Humming up to the point of pressing the shooter button half way.
After shooting (pressing the button to the full) it continuous humming for half a second to a second and then stops.
The same happens if a do not shoot - meaning if a release the shooter button without shooting -, but the humming continuous for three seconds.

My situation is that the K-S2 can keep humming for many seconds as long as I keep pushing the button only halfway. The only way to stop the sound is when you fully push the button !!

So I would like it that other K-S2 users test the humming sound and share their experiences at this post.
05-01-2017, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably I was not clear enough (my apologies for that) but the humming in the K-S2 goes from power to half press and maintains it all the time I have the button half pressed (same as your experience) and when I press the button and take the shot it keeps humming afterwards for half a second to one second and, finally stops.

What does not behave as yours is the Kx, where you state you ear humming and I have none on mine.

Last edited by ddharriman; 05-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.
05-02-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ddharriman

Now I understand that what my K-S2 does is the same as yours, no worries anymore.

The strange thing is that I was never aware of the sound until last week I heard it .
Maybe My ears are getting better ;-)

Thanks for your help all !
05-02-2017, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
@ddharriman

The strange thing is that I was never aware of the sound until last week I heard it .
Maybe My ears are getting better ;-)

Thanks for your help all !

Yeah, like said above once you notice a sound sometimes it's hard to tune out.
05-03-2017, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #12

Just in case, I checked my K-S2 as well. It behaves exavtly the same...

light...