Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Using manual lenses with K-S2?

Hi,

Can someone explain how to use a completely manual lens, e.g., a Pentax-M 50mm with the K-S2?

I have been searching and sites say to (a) set the green button to Tav Shift (but I don't see a choice for Tav Shift) and (b) disable auto ISO (but I don't see where I do that)?

Also, in this case of the Pentax-M, the lens aperture seems to stay wide open. Is there a way to shoot, say and f/8 and let the K-S2 figure out the shutter speed automatically (even using the green button)?

Thanks,
Jim

05-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps this will help:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
05-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,

I already found that page. That was what I was referring to, where it says:

"K-30, K-50, K-500, K-70, K-S1, K-S2 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. On the K-S2 and K-70, look under the e-dial programming sub-menu under button customization in the record menu.

Finally, ensure that auto ISO is disabled."

I don't understand " "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT." (I don't see a Tv SHIFT" and also I can't see where to disable auto ISO?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Also, although I don't quite understand what I'm doing, it seems to work better with the camera in "Tav" mode and I set the aperture on the lens and just click to take the picture, without using the green button? By "better", I mean the exposure seems to come out correctly.

EDIT 2: Ok, I think I see what they mean by M/Tav Mode to Tv SHIFT, i.e., for the M on the left, set the green button to TvSHIFT and for the Tav on the left, set the green button to TvSHIFT.

And for disabling the Auto ISO, set the ISO to a fixed number, e.g., 1600.

However, when I try that, and with the camera in "M" mode, if I close the the aperture, e.g., to 22, and then press the green button to set the speed, the pictures get really badly underexposed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT 3: FYI, if after setting all the above, I put the camera into Tav mode, it seems to set the speed correctly, even without needing to press the green button.

Last edited by ohaya; 05-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.
05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M mode is the only mode that allows the manual lens to be stopped down when the shot is taken. In all the others the lens stays wide open. That includes TAv. That is why the shot is lighter. Even when you stop down to say 22 the lens stays wide open at what ever your wide is. Say on a 1.8 lens you set the apeture at 22 in Tav mode it remains at 1.8 not 22. Thus a lot more light enters. In good light my green button usually is pretty close to right in M mode . In dark situations not so much. If you are dark then rotate the front wheel to slow down the shutter.

05-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Patrick,

I don't understand when you said "If you are dark then rotate the front wheel to slow down the shutter.".

I thought that I was selecting the aperture by physically turning the aperture ring on the lens, and then the camera was controlling/selecting the shutter speed. So if the camera is selecting and controlling the shutter speed, I don't understand what rotating the front wheel is supposed to do? Does that override the shutter speed that the camera is selecting?

Also, I kind of dread mentioning this, but I am getting a lot of all black pictures when I am in M mode.

Is that the aperture block problem?

Does that only happen when I have the lens is a manual lens and the camera is in M mode?

If it was the aperture block problem, wouldn't it also happen if I had non-manual/automatic lenses (I don't think that I getting black picture when I use automatic lenses).

Jim
05-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt that you have the aperture block problem, It sounds as if your K-S2 is acting just like mine . I had the aperture block failure on my K30, and had it repaired. If fails with all lenses
Yes to the when you have an M or K lens on. They are a breed of their own. I actually shoot about half the time with an old K lens. K was prior to M . They were the first K mount. and work like an m lens.
In M mode you select the aperture on the lens. then the shutter is controlled by the front wheel. When I am shooting with lots of light . Like outdoors during the day. then the green button meters pretty well. Once it gets darker like dark corner of my living room right now there just doesn't seem to be enough light for the meter to read right when the lens is stopped down. Yes the front wheel overrides the camera and you can select the setting you want. Just like back in the early film days. You select everything. The green button can be of help or not.

An A lens or newer the green button works as it should and selects the appropriate speed and aperture for the light. In Tav mode with an A or newer then you select the aperture on the back wheel and , shutter with the front then press the green button the camera picks an aperture an speed somewnere close to what you want but not necessarily all theat close.

In Av mode with an A or newer lens then you select the aperture and the camera picks the rest If you are in auto ISO or if in set ISO then the camera will pick an appropriate shutter speed only. no need for the green button.

Sorry it takes so long to answer you. I tend to use my camera and settings without thinking about them. M lens my fingers do I do certain things Da lenses they do other things etc.
Habit. I had to get my s2 out and do some testing with different lenses so as to be sure what I was telling you was correct.

Last edited by patrick9; 05-01-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
05-01-2017, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Hi Patrick,

Oh wow, now it's starting to make more sense and am glad to hear that it probably isn't the aperture block problem, since I just got this K-S2 off of Ebay this past week !

Thanks for the detailed explanations and discussions. It's been a long time since I was using manual lenses on Pentax, and in my memory, it just used to work correctly with my old K-r and K-x, but maybe that was just faulty memory.

Thanks again,
Jim
05-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for the great discussion. I have been collecting older lenses in anticipation of buying a DSLR. Its good to know that it may not work perfectly.