Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Does K-S2 work with Pluto Trigger in any way?

Hi, does anyone have any experience using a Pluto Trigger with the K-S2? I know that Pluto Trigger doesn't list it as compatible but does that mean not completely compatible or only some features don't work? I've used a cheap infrared remote to fire the K-S2 in the past so I'm wondering if the Pluto Trigger will work in any way. I don't care about the "extra" features it can do. I simply want it for standard lightning, sounds, or movement basic triggers.

05-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your K-S2 supported a wired remote or wired tether, the answer would be yes. Sadly, that is not the case. Aside from its IR remote feature, the Pluto Trigger is dependent on its wired connection to the camera. If all you need is an IR remote, there are less expensive options.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.
05-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
But according to their website they state
"If your camera does not support a wired remote, it could still be partially supported if it supports IR or wireless remote control methods."

And they list just about all Pentax DSLRs as being IR compatible except the K-2S which led me to believe it might be partially compatible since I have used a generic IR remote in the past on the K-S2. I have tried contacting them but no response so far.

Last edited by AndyB; 05-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.
05-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
But according to their website they state
"If your camera does not support a wired remote, it could still be partially supported if it supports IR or wireless remote control methods."

And they list just about all Pentax DSLRs as being IR compatible except the K-2S which led me to believe it might be partially compatible since I have used a generic IR remote in the past on the K-S2. I have tried contacting them but no response so far.
After posting, I spent some time with the Pluto user manual and their Web site. The supported functionality via IR is vague. All that is for sure is that B-mode triggering is not supported.* Your K-S2 IR works the same as other Pentax dSLRs, so I would expect that the Pluto should be able to trigger your camera by that means, though with "limited functionality". It would be nice if they had a feature matrix for IR.

Steve

* There may be a workaround there in that your K-S2 supports two modes for B-mode timing. Mode 2 allows start with one pulse and stops with another.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
05-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
After posting, I spent some time with the Pluto user manual and their Web site. The supported functionality via IR is vague. All that is for sure is that B-mode triggering is not supported.* Your K-S2 IR works the same as other Pentax dSLRs, so I would expect that the Pluto should be able to trigger your camera by that means, though with "limited functionality". It would be nice if they had a feature matrix for IR.

Steve

* There may be a workaround there in that your K-S2 supports two modes for B-mode timing. Mode 2 allows start with one pulse and stop with another.
Ahh that sounds hopeful. I'm probably going to order one and even if it doesn't work with the K-2S, it will work with my planned future upgrade which might be sooner than I thought. hehe Thanks for the info!