Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-S2 Prime Lens

Hello Friends,

This probably has been asked a million times, but I still wanted to ask. Can anyone help me with getting a prime lens for my K-S2? I would like to use it for night photography and landscape. I have gone through the list of lenses that has been posted on various threads but since I'm still a beginners, I feel like I'm just confusing myself. My budget would be around $400CAD.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

07-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some good lenses in your price range.
With Autofocus: DA 35mm f2.4, DA 40mm XS, DA 50mm f1.8, DA 21mm limited, DA 15mm limited.

No autofocus: Samyang 16mm f2, Samyang 24mm f1.4. Samyang is also sold under name Rokinon, Bower, and some others. These lenses are good optical quality, but no Autofocus. These lenses are sold for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and others. You need one that is K-mount. It says For Pentax on the box and KP or KR on the lens (as in K-mount Pentax or K-mount Ricoh). Samyang for Nikon or Canon will not fit your camera, because each camera brand has its own mount.

For landscapes, you probably want 35mm or wider. So, focal length 35mm and lower, down to 14mm. Lower than around 20mm is really really wide, and it becomes more difficult to use. 14mm is really wide, so a lot of landscapes become too small for that lens.

So, mostly I recommend Pentax DA 35mm and Samyang 24mm (the 24mm is great for astrophoto and low light photos, DA 35mm is really sharp and fully automatic, but it might not be wide enough for some landscapes. I use the DA 35mm a lot). If you buy used, you can probably get both and then you have a great wide to normal set. You can get DA 21mm limited, its a good wide lens with amazing colours and contrast, but it is only f3.2. This means you will probably need tripod in low light. But it is a great landscape and travel lens

All the lenses mentioned in my post are sharp with good quality, much better than DA L 18-55mm

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Here are some good lenses in your price range.
With Autofocus: DA 35mm f2.4, DA 40mm XS, DA 50mm f1.8, DA 21mm limited, DA 15mm limited.

No autofocus: Samyang 16mm f2, Samyang 24mm f1.4. Samyang is also sold under name Rokinon, Bower, and some others. These lenses are good optical quality, but no Autofocus. These lenses are sold for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and others. You need one that is K-mount. It says For Pentax on the box and KP or KR on the lens (as in K-mount Pentax or K-mount Ricoh). Samyang for Nikon or Canon will not fit your camera, because each camera brand has its own mount.

For landscapes, you probably want 35mm or wider. So, focal length 35mm and lower, down to 14mm. Lower than around 20mm is really really wide, and it becomes more difficult to use. 14mm is really wide, so a lot of landscapes become too small for that lens.

So, mostly I recommend Pentax DA 35mm and Samyang 24mm (the 24mm is great for astrophoto and low light photos, DA 35mm is really sharp and fully automatic, but it might not be wide enough for some landscapes. I use the DA 35mm a lot). If you buy used, you can probably get both and then you have a great wide to normal set. You can get DA 21mm limited, its a good wide lens with amazing colours and contrast, but it is only f3.2. This means you will probably need tripod in low light
Thank you for your suggestions.
07-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Hello Friends,

This probably has been asked a million times, but I still wanted to ask. Can anyone help me with getting a prime lens for my K-S2? I would like to use it for night photography and landscape. I have gone through the list of lenses that has been posted on various threads but since I'm still a beginners, I feel like I'm just confusing myself. My budget would be around $400CAD.

Thanks for all your recommendations.
I think for your intended purposes and within your budget, the options are the DA 21 Limited if you want autofocus, and the Rokinon 16mm f2 (made by Samyang) if you like manual focus. The Rokinon could be had new and the Samyang would have to be used, to stay within your budget.

All other suggestions I could think of would probably cost you more, or would be zooms. Which by the way, might be an option to consider if size isn't an issue - there are some good options in the used market for your budget from Sigma (17-50 2.8, 17-70 2.8-4) and Tamron (17-50 2.8).

07-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on the Da21. It practically lives on my K-S2. It only comes off when I need a bit narrower like my K55 or macro . Then right back on
07-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

21mm is a great FL for ASPC. Images are very much like what you see with your own eyes, and it preserves a lot of contrast. I've even used it for firefly pictures in the yard - long exposures. Plus, pancake lenses are just fun, and you probably have enough budget to get the DA40 as well - both used, of course.
07-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
+1 on the Da21. It practically lives on my K-S2. It only comes off when I need a bit narrower like my K55 or macro . Then right back on
Is the DA 21 for good low light shots?

07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It should be fine since it's a semi-wide lens and the camera has IBIS.
07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lenses do you currently have? What about them is lacking and making you want a new one? And since you mention night & landscape, do you have and use a tripod?
07-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What lenses do you currently have? What about them is lacking and making you want a new one? And since you mention night & landscape, do you have and use a tripod?
I currently just have the kit lens. I just would like something that could take sharper pictures also better low light pictures.
07-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 40 Limited on the K-S2 looks great and I loved the combo when I had my K-S2.
The drawback is it's a little long for a lot of the kind of landscapes I shoot most of the time. For general around town use it was great.

That Rokinon/Samyang 14/2.8 is good for the price and will work with full frame if you ever might go that way in the future.
07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Is the DA 21 for good low light shots?
The blocks are in the shadow of the TV tray with just 2 table lamps lighting the room. ISO 800 and 10000. Straight out of the camera Shot wide open hand held. This hopefully gives a rough idea of what it is capable of Not a good photo by any means but just t show what it can do in darker situations
Last one was taken with window light and ceiling light but wth tripod and iso 1600
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
07-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
Forum Member

I also have the K-S2 and I have to say the da40 ltd has become my absolute favourite lens (much because it is perfect for close portraits of friends and family but you don'tq mention portraits) This lens also makes all photos look good (thanks to perspective, colours and sharpness).

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

---------- Post added 07-14-17 at 11:22 PM ----------

Should say I also like the da 21 very very much! And maybe it suits you better. Both are so small and fun to use and I realised that with a prime you become quicker, don't have to think about the zoom. You can also take a series of shots with either lens and make a panorama afterwards

07-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's not much cheaper out there new than the DA35. You're virtually getting an FA35, it's that good.

As Na Horuk points out, if you can live with manual focus, the Samyang 24mm is f1.4. Unlike the Samyang 14mm, it takes screw in filters, which can be important because once you seriously get into landscapes you'll be using ND and CPL filters.
07-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Subjektiv Quote
I also have the K-S2 and I have to say the da40 ltd has become my absolute favourite lens (much because it is perfect for close portraits of friends and family but you don'tq mention portraits) This lens also makes all photos look good (thanks to perspective, colours and sharpness).

---------- Post added 07-14-17 at 11:22 PM ----------

Should say I also like the da 21 very very much! And maybe it suits you better. Both are so small and fun to use and I realised that with a prime you become quicker, don't have to think about the zoom. You can also take a series of shots with either lens and make a panorama afterwards

I think i'm headed down to the da40. thanks for your input.