Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Repair Route When Your K-S2 Aperature Block Problem Began?

Just wondering specific to K-S2 owners, did you go the Pentax route or the pentaxcamerarepair guy when your aperature block problem appeared?

Mine gave a rare dark frame here and there a little after a year of service (shutter count 6000 or so?) but on a pretty long national park hike discovered that my first shots were always dark (11000, 16 months of use), so I dug deep into my limited instincts and tried burst shooting to salvage the trip. Intend to dump money to fix this before it is progressively worse, but don't want to miss out on some upcoming trips with it.

From threads out there it looks like Pentax takes 3-6 weeks and fixes it for sure, on rare occasion for free, while the other guy is $100+ two way shipping and looks like an 80% success rate?

Should have gotten a K-3.

09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FoxbatK Quote
Just wondering specific to K-S2 owners, did you go the Pentax route or the pentaxcamerarepair guy when your aperature block problem appeared?

Mine gave a rare dark frame here and there a little after a year of service (shutter count 6000 or so?) but on a pretty long national park hike discovered that my first shots were always dark (11000, 16 months of use), so I dug deep into my limited instincts and tried burst shooting to salvage the trip. Intend to dump money to fix this before it is progressively worse, but don't want to miss out on some upcoming trips with it.

From threads out there it looks like Pentax takes 3-6 weeks and fixes it for sure, on rare occasion for free, while the other guy is $100+ two way shipping and looks like an 80% success rate?

Should have gotten a K-3.
A forum member today reported back that somebody who knows soldering can in 30 minutes put in the $8 replacement solenoid.