Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 06:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
The pricing comments have been helpful, because $330 doesn't look like such a screaming deal when weather sealing is available for less than $200 more.

As for the purpose as it pertains to autofocus -- this would be a travel camera; something to both give me an excuse to use my nice Pentax primes and not carry around a king's ransom in my bag every day.
The K-S1 is slightly lighter and more compact than the K-S2.

And the downside to weather sealing is that the rubber port covers are quite a bit more difficult to open and close. I don't even think about opening/closing the (usb) port cover on the K-S1, but on the K-1, it requires a slight bit more finesse to replace the cover after you pop it out.

All of that said, either camera is still a great choice

10-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
The pricing comments have been helpful, because $330 doesn't look like such a screaming deal when weather sealing is available for less than $200 more.

As for the purpose as it pertains to autofocus -- this would be a travel camera; something to both give me an excuse to use my nice Pentax primes and not carry around a king's ransom in my bag every day.
I understand the affordable travel kit idea. I feel nervous carrying my 50-135 around if I'm not sure I'll use it (more for fear of bumping it around than theft). I also know how frustrating it is to go backwards after being spoiled with something nice, so after the D500 you may find yourself more than a little annoyed with the 11pt AF on the K-S1.

I would recommend finding a used K-3 instead. That'll get you weather sealing, 27pt improved AF, high end build quality, 86k pixel light meter, and overall better performance to help justify it a little more. Used you can get one for $400-500 on ebay, and you can sometimes find one bundled with an 18-135 for about $600. You've already got great lenses, but an 18-135 is an awesome travel lens for less than a king's ransom.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 10-25-2017 at 06:44 AM.