Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-S1 to keep the dream alive?

In 2005, I bought an *istDS and bridged the divide between my little Nikon Coolpix 4500 and the Pentax K-1000 and A 50/2.0 I had already been carrying around for years. Over the next twelve years I would build a nice collection -- DA* 16-50/2.8, 21/3.2, 31/1.8, M 50/1.4, 77/1.8, DFA 100/2.8 Macro, K 135/2.5.

But I came to an impasse several years back. Already holding a grudge over a defective K-10. I became frustrated by the noise of my K-7 when compared to the newer cameras and started shopping for a new Pentax body. But there was a problem. My work had shifted from landscape, where my fingers were plenty fast enough to handle the focus work, to taking pictures of the lightening fast babies I'd spent the last several years populating the Earth with. Nothing I read about the new cameras gave me much hope for the autofocus future, so I deiced to bide my time with a clearance K-01.

So now I had no viewfinder, less than stellar autofocus, and kids who were beginning to pick up speed. Brilliant.

I rented the K-1 a few months back hoping beyond hope that it would be the amazing picture machine of my dreams. I would take off the hair shirt and be rewarded for my loyalty. Well, it is the amazing picture machine of somebody's dreams, but not mine. Not right now.

With a heavy heart, I bought a Nikon D500. Then with a not so heavy heart, I shot with my new D500 and it's friggin' amazing. Except when children at birthday parties come up to me to let me know emphatically that OMG their mom has that exact same camera. That never happened with Pentax. I miss that never happening.

There are just two problems:
I now have a $2k camera and one $1k zoom lens. I travel alone sometimes and don't really want to have three grand worth of gear with me when shooting photos isn't what I'm traveling for. When I add another elns, it will be a prime close to $2k.
No matter how I try, I cannot mount my 31/1.8 to it.

So here's where I am:
The K-S1 is on clearance everywhere. I know that the ergonomics are abhorrent. I know that WiFi is only available through some weird peripheral card thing. I know that I can get the K-S2 for less than $200 more -- but that $200 may be the difference between justifying the purchase and not.

So do I pick up a K-S1? Or do I take that money and put it towards a Nikon prime. A Nikon prime that costs $2k and doesn't even say "Limited" but is quick like little lightening children?

EDIT TO ADD: Both my and my husband's K-01s are starting to properly wear out. Like they have each had a hard life and show it. Pieces are falling off of mine. Both have to be turned on and off sometimes when shooting to get them to function properly again after a shot. At this point, the only thing I can really put my Pentax lenses on is my K-1000.

Last edited by jesssss; 10-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
10-02-2017, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got into the K-S1 when Samys had their fire sale a couple years ago. $200 with the kits lens. A no-brainer. I have since paired it with the Pentax 18-250 and an EyeFi card and it's my go-to camera for anything at home. That 20mp sensor has some sweet color rendition. Here's a recent capture, my daughter goofing off at my son's 11th birthday.

Anything can be a hat if you try hard enough
by Howling Wolf, on Flickr
10-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow! $200 was a deal. That's about where I was with the K-01. Like, I kind of couldn't not.

I'm leaning hard towards picking up something cheap and making a travel kit out of it so I can shoot my old lenses, but it's a question of this of a used K-3, I think. They're both so much camera for the money.
10-02-2017, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was me I would watch for a used k-3 or k-3II. Might be a bit more money but that would fit my needs better. But those are my needs not yours so............

10-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My bigger beef with the KS1 is that it is not WR. If that's not an issue for you, then great. If you get the KS1, get the older (screwdrive) Sigma 17-70 as a walkaround. Great IQ, really useful lens, cheap on the second-hand market. The 18-50 that comes with some KS kits just isn't worth carrying around. The 18-55 is a bit better, but I'd still prefer (strongly) the Sigma. If you get the KS2, I might recommend the 18-135. IQ is a bit worse, but I do love having a WR kit.
10-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jesssss Quote
The K-S1 is on clearance everywhere. I know that the ergonomics are abhorrent
Oh come on, I wouldn't say abhorrent. Its just a super compact camera, which has its pros and cons. When I tried the K-S1 at a fair, I quite liked it. More than I thought I would. Its as small as a toy, but it has good sensor and AF much better than some of the older generations. The K-01 is not known for fast AF. It is slow even by Pentax standards. PD AF should be faster than CD AF. And even by CD AF standards the CA AF of the K-01 is not exactly bleeding edge. I don't mind, I have learned to use my K-01 with its drawbacks, but I admit its not a camera for fast moving subjects, unless you switch to MF (or at least two button AF, where the AF-L button is mapped for AF, so you don't trigger it every time you press shutter)

So, at a clearance price? I would say sure, go for it! You can use your old Pentax lenses, it will have much better noise performance than the older generations, it is a cute little camera, and you can always take it with you because its tiny, and it has some interesting features that might help you. Those flashing front LEDs people whined about? Maybe they will help you keep your kids eyes focused on the camera.

It seems your problem is that in some ways you are a purist - you want a K-3 or K-1. Or at least KP. But on the other hand, you are not that into it, so you know its not justified. Your two options is to gather the money and splurge on a K-1 and never look back. Or make a realistic choice and get a K-S1, appreciate it for what it is, and take the best photos you can squeeze out of that thing! Of course, the third option is to just take photos with smartphone, but being a purist, you probably dislike that idea even more

Sorry if I over-analyzed; hope you make the choice that works for you

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.
10-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The KS-1 likely falls somewhere between the K-01 and D500 in AF performance, probably closer to K-01. If your offspring are still accelerating, I'm not sure how satisfied you will be.

You might want to look for a used Nikon 1 V1 or V2 for a second camera.

10-03-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Where are you finding the K-S1 for $200? I looked and don’t see it selling that cheaply.
10-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I suggest just going with the Nikon prime since you already have the D500, and you seem to need autofocus.
10-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Where are you finding the K-S1 for $200? I looked and don’t see it selling that cheaply.
This was from Samys in September 2015.

Last edited by Wolfeye; 08-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
10-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

When I got mine, it was closer to $300.
10-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
This was from Samys in September 2015.
That was two years ago. It isn’t selling that cheaply anymore. Not that I can find at least.
10-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
That was two years ago. It isn’t selling that cheaply anymore. Not that I can find at least.
I'm not sure why you think my "I got into the K-S1 when Samys had their fire sale a couple years ago. " has any relevance to today's prices. I only stated what I bought it for.
10-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I'm not sure why you think my "I got into the K-S1 when Samys had their fire sale a couple years ago. " has any relevance to today's prices. I only stated what I bought it for.
Sorry I misread the OP.

Congrats on getting a great deal.
10-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
The pricing comments have been helpful, because $330 doesn't look like such a screaming deal when weather sealing is available for less than $200 more.

As for the purpose as it pertains to autofocus -- this would be a travel camera; something to both give me an excuse to use my nice Pentax primes and not carry around a king's ransom in my bag every day.