auto-focus normal, then when released - viewfinder
looks super contrasty. ack!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix AX330  Photo 
10-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe an Art filter is stuck? If you don't have much programmed into custom modes I'd probably reset to original settings. I know the Ks1 has less in firmware than others, but that has to be there somewhere..
10-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dbwr Quote
See attached - it just started doing this one day,
after Mrs. used camera. It's probably something
simple, but I haven't figured it out. ½ press does
auto-focus normal, then when released - viewfinder
looks super contrasty. ack!
That's focus peaking. You can disable it through the control panel or the main menu. Basically, this feature highlights edges when they are in focus. They won't show up in the final image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's focus peaking. You can disable it through the control panel or the main menu. Basically, this feature highlights edges when they are in focus. They won't show up in the final image.
Good ol' reset (thanks Jim) worked ... weird it just showed up that way one day.
I played with it a long time, thinking there was some intentional way to set that.
Yeah, Adam - pictures are good, just viewfinder wacky.
:
One other minor note - infinity ∞ sometimes is out of focus. If I manually focus,
all good. Do I need to 'train' it somehow so AF is ok on infinity

10-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I played with it a long time, thinking there was some intentional way to set that.
There is an intentional way to set it. As Adam noted, the feature is called focus peaking and can be leveraged quite readily for easier and more accurate manual focus in live view. It may be switched on/off using either the menu system or the info screen.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
10-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an intentional way to set it. As Adam noted, the feature is called focus peaking and can be leveraged quite readily for easier and more accurate manual focus in live view. It may be switched on/off using either the menu system or the info screen.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
This is firmware v 1.00 if it matters.
I went thru every MENU/INFO screen and
still can't see Focus Peaking. The 'reset'
fixed it, but I'd like to find this option.
10-22-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
d i s r e g a r d

was ignoring Live view choice
since didn't say Focus ...

10-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

One other minor note - infinity ∞ sometimes is out of focus. If I manually focus,
You can't always trust the markings on the lens, depending on the ambient conditions. Go by what you see

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: