Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

[cable release] - In case anyone was wondering about CS-310 working on K-S2

Maybe I'm the only dummy that thought a mic cable that works on the K70 would also work on the K-S2 and it's already common knowledge, but the remote for the K-70 does not work on the K-S2 in my experience, despite having the same diameter and pin layout AFAICT.

I tested with the KiwiFotos UR-232 Tasman which is a $12 faithful reproduction of the Pentax OEM CS-310.

Hope I can save some other poor sucker $12 :/

The other piece of information I can give is that you can set Bulb mode to work with the IR remote just fine in C menu 1, Bulb settings, pick option #2 to set the remote to open the shutter for the first button press and close for the second button press.

10-31-2017, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #2

Previous models used a simple cable release system (identical with Canon EOS), and it was a easy to make your own. Mine had separate buttons for focus, shutter, and a third for timed exposures. A very handy setup.

Unfortunately the KS-2 appears to be the only model without the ability use a cable release. A very disappointing omission.

Last edited by branchel; 11-02-2017 at 10:49 PM.
11-01-2017, 04:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by branchel Quote
Previous models used a simple cable release system (identical with Canon EOS), and it was a easy to make your own. Mine had separate buttons for focus, shutter, and a third for timed exposures. A very handy setup.

Unfortunately the KS-2 appears to be the only model without the ability use a cable release. A very disappointing omission.

The KS-2 uses a larger 3.5mm socket, and I expected that it would
Yep. And while that socket appears to be the same as the K-70, with a 3.5mm 4 pole construction, the K-70 compatible cable release does nothing. I'm very grateful to another forum poster on here who mentioned that the bulb behavior is customizable to allow realistic use with the IR remote (one press to start, one press to stop, rather than press-and-hold).
11-01-2017, 04:47 AM   #4

Provided camera has a 2.5mm remote cable jack:

You can just buy a 3 pole plug adapter for $6 or under. You can find them in 3.5mm to 2.5mm or 2.5mm to 3.5mm depending on which remote you have. Yes, you can use any of the compatible 2.5mm cable remotes on the K-70 with an adapter. A 4 pole adapter isn't need because the K-70 remote/mic only uses the 3 poles.

If you have the remote for the K-70 you want a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter. If you have the remote for any of the other Pentax you want a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter. 3 pole works fine but you can find the 2.5 to 3.5 with a 4 pole male plug if you want. Doesn't seem to matter.

There are several threads on this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/193-pentax-k-70/323526-about-wired-remot...ml#post3828745

Eventually the cheap "universal" cable remotes that come with various plug adapters will include a 3.5mm plug.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-01-2017 at 06:05 AM.
11-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Provided camera has a 2.5mm remote cable jack:

You can just buy a 3 pole plug adapter for $6 or under. You can find them in 3.5mm to 2.5mm or 2.5mm to 3.5mm depending on which remote you have. Yes, you can use any of the compatible 2.5mm cable remotes on the K-70 with an adapter. A 4 pole adapter isn't need because the K-70 remote/mic only uses the 3 poles.

If you have the remote for the K-70 you want a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter. If you have the remote for any of the other Pentax you want a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter. 3 pole works fine but you can find the 2.5 to 3.5 with a 4 pole male plug if you want. Doesn't seem to matter.

There are several threads on this.

About the wired remote control. - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Eventually the cheap "universal" cable remotes that come with various plug adapters will include a 3.5mm plug.
I'm confused by this post. The remote I alluded to is the K-70 remote. I couldn't find anything definitive here on the forum or via google related to wired remote shutter for the K-S2, so I took a chance on the K-70 remote since both the K-70 and K-S2 appeared to have the same mic jack spec. I was just making the original post of this thread to let anyone else know who might come looking for a wired remote for the K-S2, that the K-70 one wouldn't work. That's all.
11-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That has been (so far) the only issue I have with my K-S2. No cable ability. But I have had some good results using my smart phone in place of a cable as well as a quick way to move the photos on the camera..