Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any problems storing a K-S2 ?

Since I purchased my KP my K-S2 has been stored in it's original box unused. I kept it as a backup camera if ever needed. Does anyone know if there is any problems if the camera is not used for extended period of time? If so I might think about selling it, or if keeping it and use it for a few photos every six months or sooner. I've never left a dSLR sit unused this long.

11-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

I don't think that is a problem. We have a Nikon at home and we didn't use it for a while and it's working fine.
Btw I would remove the battery and put some silica gel pack in the box, just to be sure.
11-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just try to use the battery if you can, otherwise you'll be fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They use the same batteries, right? So I would take the battery out of storage and use it with the others. Leaving a battery alone and untouched might ruin its capacity over time. Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem to store your camera provided you keep it in a decent environment. Without dust, without big temperature changed, without direct sunlight. Put on a body cap or at least a lens, so the mount isnt just open.
You can take it out every few months, inspect it, take a few photos.

OR you can sell it to someone who might use it more and spend the money on a new lens

11-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just try to use the battery if you can, otherwise you'll be fine.
I was under the impression that the K-S2 used the same aperture armature that the K-30 and K50 did. I haven't heard of the K-S2 having the failure that the K-30 did, but Wasn't some of the failures from sitting unused for a period of time? My DL and my K200D never had a problem sitting for 6 months or so, but I am hesitant about the K-S2.

Just curious.
11-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not very many user reports of K-S2 failures, but there have been some. Don't think there's enough data to blame storage, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I haven't heard of the K-S2 having the failure that the K-30 did,
Yeah, the K-S2 has been reported in this forum too, Patrick.

I have one and it's fine. I also have a K-30 and it's fine, too.

11-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, the K-S2 has been reported in this forum too, Patrick.
I have one and it's fine. I also have a K-30 and it's fine, too.
I have a K30 that had to be repaired. My K-S2 doesn't sit long enough (Not more than a couple of weeks )
Side note the K30 died a horrible death That is why I have a K-S2 I have looked at the KP. I love the looks of it. Just can not justify it.
11-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Concerning the K-S2 battery, I did re-purpose it for use in the KP. I had two batteries for the K-S2, so now my KP had three batteries. One is always in the charger, one is in the KP, and the third is in my camera case. I just rotate through all three of them. From KP to charger, charger to spare, and the spare into the camera.