Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter van Baarle Quote
Maybe you confuse it with the K-S1?
No I don't. You just don't understand what I have written. Read it again.

03-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a first edition ks-2. Wish that meant something. My understanding is the ks were experiments. Ks-1 for gaging the entry level market and ks-2 for implementing new tech and size constraints. I think both were very successful by those criterion. I love my ks-2. It has everything i need almost. Yet its purpose was served and the k-70, kp rightfully replaced it. PENTAX IS DOOMED! LONG LIVE PENTAX!
03-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter van Baarle Quote
I can't see that the K70 has a 'more traditional look' than the K-S2. They look very similar. Maybe you confuse it with the K-S1? IMO the K-S2 should have been named K60. If you look at the design and specs the K50, K-S2 and K70 show typical evolution of camera design and specs. Pricewise they are in the same ballpark as well.
I agree with this.

Actually the K-S1 was a failed experiment*, so that's really the only oddball here. Apart from influencing the design of the K-S2 a bit, the K-S2 was otherwise pretty much a direct successor to the K-50, and the K-70 was a direct successor to the K-S2.

*from a marketing perspective - I know that doesn't make it a terrible camera though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Actually the K-S1 was a failed experiment*, so that's really the only oddball here.

*from a marketing perspective - I know that doesn't make it a terrible camera though
Quite so. It has all the features I want and none that I don't want, apart from live view that I never use.

03-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's in a name
04-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Does the K-70 have the same (green) aperture motor as the K-S cameras and the K-30/50?
And does the KP have a white aperture motor?

This component seems to be the key differentiator between the Pentax entry-level and mid-level designs.
I believe, but do not know for certain, that the K-70 uses the same design of aperture control that the K-30, K-50, K-S1, and K-S2 did; hopefully the problems associated with the 'green' solenoid are behind, but Pentax has never actually talked about what happened with that.

I believe, but do not know for certain, that the KP uses the same design of aperture control that the K-7, K-5, K-3, and K-1 did; as far as I know, no one has disassembled one of those cameras to find out how their mechanisms work, but I would not be surprised to see an actual stepper motor, instead of any color of solenoid there.