Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Blank Picture - no data available

K-S2 about 7000 accuations. Never seen this before any ideas? Is it part of the aperture solenoid problem? What happened was, changed to a different lens, first picture after non usage was blank picture with the INFO saying "no data available to display picture". After that no problem. Then it did the same thing again after first turn on. I took lens off and found the aperture lever stiff and a bit out of alignment. Straigened it up and so far no problems. Is this a precursor to something? any thoughts.

02-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was it possible the lens was dropped and the lever bent? Has any other lens exhibited the same behavior?
02-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Was it possible the lens was dropped and the lever bent? Has any other lens exhibited the same behavior?
As I said, never ever seen this message on any of my Pentax cameras before. No matter which lens old or new, fully automatic, A pin only or manual.
02-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're talking about the iris (aperture) lever, it's possible that being bent allowed the iris to be fully closed when the picture was taken. Still this shouldn't produce any messages but if you haven't encountered the problem again, chances are the bent lever had something to do with it and if the level is now operating properly, you most likely won't see the issue again. Keep note if it happens with any other lens.

02-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
After 8 hours

Tried it first thing this morning. First picture, fully dark, but showed the data. Second picture, showed the same data, picture OK. Looking like sticky aperture block solenoid.
02-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My K-S2 got the block after 5,000 actuations.
02-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
inconsistent results

The lens that started showing the problem is a Samyang. I would not call the aperture lever stiff, but strongly spring assisted. So I changed to a lightweight kit lens 18-55mm. Left it for 12 hours, first picture OK. So now I am confused as to what I am seeing. Is it the Samyang, which I have used for several years. Or is it the precursor of the aperture problem, which the Samyang exacerbates?

02-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
interval timer

used the interval timer to put a few thousand shots on the camera. fault now gone hard, no matter what lens I use. First shot under exposed, second shot OK. Sent it away for repair. Talks to Pentax have been a waste of time. Deny there is a problem.
02-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Forum Member

Just got my KS Crew Back from Precision Both with new Blocks

Just got the KS-1 and KS-2 back from Precision today. Both had the aperture block replaced. Also had dead screens. KS-2 also had selector dial issue.

02-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
Quick repair

To finish off the story, in a week, my supplier SRSmicrosystems has returned the K-S2 repaired. So as I am prepared to moan when things are wrong, I will praise when they are done right.
02-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #11
Forum Member

FYI for DYI repair parts. Pentax K-S2 K30 K50 Diaphragm Control Block. USCamera Pentax PartsUS Camera
04-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a DYI repair, how difficult is this to repair? I think I am experiencing the aperture block failure on my K-S2.