Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thoughtful and interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and welcome to PF.

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
First off, how many lenses does the typical user (not talking about professionals) need or can afford, especially at this level? Maybe 3 primes and 2 zoom?
Er, 5 zooms and 7 primes in my case. Which maybe puts me about average in PF. ;-) You get a taste for good lenses (and you find interesting niches) and it's like a box of chocolates - you can't stop at one!

But I take your point. There was a time when there were lots of big holes in the Pentax APS-C lens line up, but it's a very good spread now. And even the kit lenses are pretty good.

I manage to snag a Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR as well on the cheap. It works and I like the light weight and size but boy is that focus motor noisy!
The answer to that is to get a DA 55-300 PLM. Lightning fast AF and very quiet. And very good image quality too.

I'm a bit sad about the black body. Sure, laugh it up but my cheery red EOS M usually evokes a different response from human subjects and I find that quite useful sometimes.
I agree. I got a K-S2 in white - mainly because it was heavily discounted. But I've come to like the colour. You're right - people don't feel intimidated by it, and it feels like fun. I wish more models were in colours other than black or silver.

It seems most of the time the auto ISO is choosing up to 1600-3200 even in what I think is fairly decent daylight with the widest aperture available. Gonna have to work on that...
Two tips:
1. Set the EV and sensitivity increments to 1/3 stops. Go to Menu C1, item 1 EV steps. Set to 1 (one-third EV Steps), if it's not already. Then go to the next item "2 Sensitivity steps" and change to setting 2 ("As EV steps"). That will give you three ISO steps for each stop; e.g., instead of jumping from 1600 ISO to 3200 ISO, it will give you ISO 2000 and 2500. If you use a mode that lets the camera choose the ISO within a band, you might find it useful to cap the band at 2000 or 2500 rather than 3200.
2. Sandy and Norm both suggested trying other modes such as Av or P. P is good because you can manually override the settings the camera chooses - use the front dial to adjust the shutter speed or the rear dial to adjust the aperture. Personally I like TAv mode, which is a Pentax special. You set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO within a band you set. Kind of semi-manual.

Me personnally, I can see myself sticking with Pentax for my next camera upgrade. I am looking forward to quieter shutter and better low light image quality as my top items for now..
The Pentax base models have always had noisy shutters. Once you go up a grade it's much quieter. My K-3 is really quiet.

02-19-2018, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
T...
Two tips:
1. Set the EV and sensitivity increments to 1/3 stops. Go to Menu C1, item 1 EV steps. Set to 1 (one-third EV Steps), if it's not already. Then go to the next item "2 Sensitivity steps" and change to setting 2 ("As EV steps"). That will give you three ISO steps for each stop; e.g., instead of jumping from 1600 ISO to 3200 ISO, it will give you ISO 2000 and 2500. If you use a mode that lets the camera choose the ISO within a band, you might find it useful to cap the band at 2000 or 2500 rather than 3200.
2. Sandy and Norm both suggested trying other modes such as Av or P. P is good because you can manually override the settings the camera chooses - use the front dial to adjust the shutter speed or the rear dial to adjust the aperture. Personally I like TAv mode, which is a Pentax special. You set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO within a band you set. Kind of semi-manual.
Aaah, that first one is a really good tip. I hadn't dug into the manual yet to find out about that one.
I do normally prefer to shoot in Av mode, but I let the camera do its thing when it comes to ISO. Probably I'm a bit spoiled by my previous shooting which recently was on some faster primes (one of my favourite was a 22mm f/2). I guess I was expecting a bit too much out of higher ISO performance. Good thing with the Pentax, even in the auto ISO, it's super easy to customize it and limit the maximum ISO it can choose from.

Regardless of image quality, I'm having a bit of fun with this. Has been a while since I quite enjoyed shooting so much ...