Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Focus Microadjustment on K-S2

Hello,

I recently systematically tested the AF accuracy of all my Pentax AF lenses on my K-S2 body, and realized that they all need some extent of microadjustment. My FA 31 required +10, FA 43 required +9, SMC-F 24-50/4 required +8 (which yielded fair accuracy on all FLs, but not superb), and Takumar-F 70-210/4-5.6 required +5 (the same story as the SMC-F 24-50/4). I remember that the FA 35/2 which I sold after purchasing the FA 31 also required something like +6. Does this indicate that there might be something going on with my K-S2?

Sincerely

04-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe. You can have Pentax adjust the camera if you need to. They adjusted my K30.
04-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Hello,

I recently systematically tested the AF accuracy of all my Pentax AF lenses on my K-S2 body, and realized that they all need some extent of microadjustment. My FA 31 required +10, FA 43 required +9, SMC-F 24-50/4 required +8 (which yielded fair accuracy on all FLs, but not superb), and Takumar-F 70-210/4-5.6 required +5 (the same story as the SMC-F 24-50/4). I remember that the FA 35/2 which I sold after purchasing the FA 31 also required something like +6. Does this indicate that there might be something going on with my K-S2?

Sincerely
Sounds familiar I had to adjust for Tamron 28-75, Pentax FA 50mm 1.4, DFA 70-200, Sigma 180mm Macro. Zoom lens needed different offset for different focal length. To make it worse i did this for K1 and K3. It took two weekends. I noted down the results so that whole exercise does not go waste. But decided to use AF only when I have to. Fortunately both my cameras have Focus peaking, and this is satisfying my needs. My challenge was switching over from view-finder and Live view. Additionally if I have to shoot using AF at F2.8, I plan to back it up with f4.0 shot.
04-08-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the in-camera adjustments are enough, technically no, it's within tolerances. That said, if it's still under warranty, and if you don't mind waiting, you might want to consider sending it in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the K-S2 in my bag has back focus issues with all lenses too. It is the only Pentax digital body I’ve used which the Focus confirmation and catch in focus with manual lenses yields about seventy percent or so out of focus shots. The issue is definitely the camera, so I’m going to use a focus test kit and see if I can come up with a good universal adjustment for the manual focus lenses. Camera is out of warranty, so any repair would be $212. Rip off for an adjustment.
12-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I believe the K-S2 in my bag has back focus issues with all lenses too. It is the only Pentax digital body I’ve used which the Focus confirmation and catch in focus with manual lenses yields about seventy percent or so out of focus shots. The issue is definitely the camera, so I’m going to use a focus test kit and see if I can come up with a good universal adjustment for the manual focus lenses. Camera is out of warranty, so any repair would be $212. Rip off for an adjustment.
I would certainly like to see a follow-up to your post steamloco76!
12-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluesguy Quote
I would certainly like to see a follow-up to your post steamloco76!
KS-2 is long gone. Sold as a kit with an 18-55 and 50-200 with which it functioned perfectly. The Grip didn’t fit my big hands, so it wasn’t worth the effort for me to find a work around.

12-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KS2 Next problem after fine adjustment is met, the focus is correct in live view and preview of photo, but the histogram is overexposed blue ( above 80% ), and some white or red. Any thought on this.