Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Nice hypothesis, but contradicted by the facts. During the time this problem has existed, I have never taken pictures in burst mode, always single shot. Actually, I reviewed each shot before taking the next one, to see if the camera was back to normal.

(In fact, I have never used burst mode in the time I've owned the camera.)
Then this is a completely different problem, because "SHUTTER MECHANISM AND MIRROR MECHANISM" are the words that jump out at me.

06-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't see the words APERTURE CONTROL BLOCK... unless by MECHANICAL ASS(EMBL)Y they mean that. I hope you get it back ok, and if not, I hope there's a warranty on the repair.
06-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I don't see the words APERTURE CONTROL BLOCK... unless by MECHANICAL ASS(EMBL)Y they mean that. I hope you get it back ok, and if not, I hope there's a warranty on the repair.
Thanks. Yes, there's a six-month warranty on the repair. I shall be inclined to ask some questions once I get it back, such as whether I need to treat the camera in a particular way or whether it's a known fault, etc. It's at Pentax's UK repair centre, so I'm hopeful I can find out more later.

By the way, does the word BLOCK in this context refer to a physical item which controls the aperture, or to something which blocks the aperture control from working?
06-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks. Yes, there's a six-month warranty on the repair. I shall be inclined to ask some questions once I get it back, such as whether I need to treat the camera in a particular way or whether it's a known fault, etc. It's at Pentax's UK repair centre, so I'm hopeful I can find out more later.

By the way, does the word BLOCK in this context refer to a physical item which controls the aperture, or to something which blocks the aperture control from working?
"Block" as in "bunch of things screwed together"... they usually change the whole thing instead of just the faulty solenoid.
I'll try and find some pictures tomorrow.

06-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #20

Original Poster
"Block" as in "bunch of things screwed together"... they usually change the whole thing instead of just the faulty solenoid.
I'll try and find some pictures tomorrow.
Thanks. I had the impression that "Aperture control block" is not an official Pentax phrase/expression but it's useful for me to have that in mind if I get a chance to talk to someone there.
06-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks. I had the impression that "Aperture control block" is not an official Pentax phrase/expression but it's useful for me to have that in mind if I get a chance to talk to someone there.
This is the solenoid, which is the likely culprit of the behaviour:
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine Aperture Solenoid Plunger Part - Japan - | eBay
(not my listing)

In this post you can see the whole control block, with gears and a motor.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ap...ml#post3656514
06-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Then this is a completely different problem, because "SHUTTER MECHANISM AND MIRROR MECHANISM" are the words that jump out at me.
Are you sure?

I read the whole of the thread referred to by Lensbeginner now and am inclined to agree with you that the underlying cause is not known (I suppose there could be several). In my case the camera was unused for some three months and thereafter exhibited the problem. That many people reported that replacing the solenoid fixed it does not prove that the solenoid was the root cause.

Perhaps Johnsons Photopia (who do repairs for Pentax in the UK) found extra damage in my K-S1 or perhaps Ricoh really doesn't know what is going on and are just having a bunch of stuff changed to be on the safe side. Nice that they'll do some cleaning though, while it's opened up.

06-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Are you sure?

I read the whole of the thread referred to by Lensbeginner now and am inclined to agree with you that the underlying cause is not known (I suppose there could be several). In my case the camera was unused for some three months and thereafter exhibited the problem. That many people reported that replacing the solenoid fixed it does not prove that the solenoid was the root cause.

Perhaps Johnsons Photopia (who do repairs for Pentax in the UK) found extra damage in my K-S1 or perhaps Ricoh really doesn't know what is going on and are just having a bunch of stuff changed to be on the safe side. Nice that they'll do some cleaning though, while it's opened up.
The cleaning and adjustment is routine after a disassembly.
The solenoid is the cause of the ACB failures a.k.a. dark pictures syndrome, IIRC some people actually shot with the camera open in order to troubleshoot the cause.

The repair estimate looks realistic for a fix of the dark picture issue (on this forum members have spent between 100 and 150 USD), but I don't get the "shutter repair" thing.
06-13-2018, 04:30 AM   #24

Original Poster
The cleaning and adjustment is routine after a disassembly.
The solenoid is the cause of the ACB failures a.k.a. dark pictures syndrome, IIRC some people actually shot with the camera open in order to troubleshoot the cause.
But what is actually going wrong with the solenoid?

Anyway: my K-S1 just arrived back, took a couple of pics, works OK so far. That's quick work, I only took it to the Post Office a week ago.

Think I'll try and keep it in a plastic bag here (even when inside the camera bag). Environment tends to be dusty, due to being out in the sticks.
06-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

But what is actually going wrong with the solenoid?

Anyway: my K-S1 just arrived back, took a couple of pics, works OK so far. That's quick work, I only took it to the Post Office a week ago.

Think I'll try and keep it in a plastic bag here (even when inside the camera bag). Environment tends to be dusty, due to being out in the sticks.
When the electromagnet is activated, it attracts the U-shaped part that slides inside it, and that moving part becomes somehow jammed - because of attrition or magnetism, no one knows for sure.
Since it cannot go back to its original position, the camera closes the aperture fully and doesn't stop at the required f-stop.
06-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Are you sure?

I am sure now, that the aperture control unit {a.k.a. "block"} design dates back thirty years.
K-500 Aperture block failure? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I am fairly sure that this whole problem surprised Pentax.

Other than that, I'm not sure of much of anything - I try to label my opinions as opinions, but sometimes I forget.
06-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know what Precision charges for the aperture block repair, I sent my K-S2 to Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair for repair. It cost $100.00 (US) plus shipping. Took about a week to return to me. The camera works great.
06-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I don't know what Precision charges for the aperture block repair, I sent my K-S2 to Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair for repair. It cost $100.00 (US) plus shipping. Took about a week to return to me. The camera works great.
Price is right - on the lower end of the spectrum (100-150$) actually.
Nice to hear your camera is now fine as well
06-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #29

Original Poster
Was at Queen's Club for quarter-finals day last Friday. Wifey took lots of pix with the K-S1 using our the 55-300, but mostly at 300. None of them particularly sharp or well focussed, and our seats were not well placed vis-a-vis the sun, even using the lens hood. Some bright white seats in the club-house opposite which tended to bleed. After running these into LR it seems that the camera, although working consistently, still underexposes by about a stop. Hmmm, time to panic.

So today I took a couple of shots of the chimney stack on the roof here against the sky using various primes (35 f2.4, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8) all at ISO 100, f 5.6, Av mode, bright sunlight. Some relief to see them all process to sharp images, even better when I went out again and repeated at f8, ISO 400 (although some noise was apparent in the sky when pixel peeping).

Looks like I need to get shutter speed down to 1/1000 or faster with the 55-300, so I may try using ISO 800 when we go to Wimbledon next week, or take the 100 and crop the images.
06-27-2018, 01:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Was at Queen's Club for quarter-finals day last Friday. Wifey took lots of pix with the K-S1 using our the 55-300, but mostly at 300. None of them particularly sharp or well focussed, and our seats were not well placed vis-a-vis the sun, even using the lens hood. Some bright white seats in the club-house opposite which tended to bleed. After running these into LR it seems that the camera, although working consistently, still underexposes by about a stop. Hmmm, time to panic.

So today I took a couple of shots of the chimney stack on the roof here against the sky using various primes (35 f2.4, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8) all at ISO 100, f 5.6, Av mode, bright sunlight. Some relief to see them all process to sharp images, even better when I went out again and repeated at f8, ISO 400 (although some noise was apparent in the sky when pixel peeping).

Looks like I need to get shutter speed down to 1/1000 or faster with the 55-300, so I may try using ISO 800 when we go to Wimbledon next week, or take the 100 and crop the images.
About a stop is nothing to be concerned about, probably just the meter being fouled by shooting against the sun.
Also check metering mode (spot, center weighted, smart etc.) and exposure compensation.

The difference with the ACB control block failure should be the one between the shooting aperture and the fully closed one (f/22, f/32).