Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #16

---------- Post added 05-14-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
Hi Folks:

Just got the 70mm macro! I must say I'm confused because it simply doesn't want to set focus and keeps hunting in auto. Most of the pictures I've taken so far don't seem to be that sharp. Probably a learning curve involved in using this lens. I tried manual focus and unfortunately it isn't very easy to focus manually either probably to do with depth of field. Well, the lens looks in very good condition on the outside and the glass is very clean as well. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change settings in the camera before using manual focus? All I did was turn the button to manual on ihefront of the camera. Hopefully I'll get it down with some practice...
I'm a very big fan of checking a new or "new to you" lens for front or back focusing ASAP! This can help you not developing a bad opinion of your new lens. If its spot on take it out and shoot away. If it needs a little micro adjusting you'll see it right away and if its a bad copy you won't waist your time not getting the shots your expecting. It would be nice mount every lens and have them work perfectly but that's not the case nowadays 😟
Good luck!!

Last edited by Photobill; 05-14-2018 at 10:25 PM.
05-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
---------- Post added 05-14-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

I'm a very big fan of checking a new or "new to you" lens for front or back focusing ASAP! This can help you not developing a bad opinion of your new lens. If its spot on take it out and shoot away. If it needs a little micro adjusting you'll see it right away and if its a bad copy you won't waist your time not getting the shots your expecting. It would be nice mount every lens and have them work perfectly but that's not the case nowadays 😟
Good luck!!
Do I need to order one of these calibration tools to do the micro adjustments successfully or could I just use a ruler or something like that? The spyder one is pricey at 65 bucks and there is a cardboard version for under 10 bucks... do you have any suggestions? Is it worth investing in the spyder or is that overkill? I have only 4 lenses right now. 3 primes and 1 zoom.
05-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think its overkill. The ruler at 45 degrees helps you see how much front or back is there. If you can tell you can adjust. Ultimately you don't need anything, except a stable camera. You can focus then go to live view at max magnification and see if you need to change focus. Adjust and try again until its corrected.
05-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are a couple of macro shots I attempted. The depth of field was very challenging as was getting close to the dang fly! Still haven't done the micro focus adjustment.

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 09:45 AM ----------

Thanks that's what I'll do first. Appreciate the response.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #20

Do I need to order one of these calibration tools to do the micro adjustments successfully or could I just use a ruler or something like that? The spyder one is pricey at 65 bucks and there is a cardboard version for under 10 bucks... do you have any suggestions? Is it worth investing in the spyder or is that overkill? I have only 4 lenses right now. 3 primes and 1 zoom.
No you don't need a spendy one. I have had good luck with the cheap $10 one's. There are a lot of videos on YouTube with a number of techniques. Its a good practice to get into every time you acquire a lens.
Cheers!
05-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Also any zooms in the wide angle range to make my kit robust would be helpful info. Thanks in advance.
The 12-24. I have recommended it in every "What lens to take to...?" thread. People complain about the size, which is mostly hood.
05-15-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Do I need to order one of these calibration tools to do the micro adjustments successfully or could I just use a ruler or something like that?
I used a sidewalk with a crack full of grass to calibrate a Sigma 30. Took about 10 minutes of shooting a series and checking on the computer a couple times. One body was +5 and the other +3. Of course I did this after shooting a family get-together in which every shot was backfocused about a foot...

05-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I used a sidewalk with a crack full of grass to calibrate a Sigma 30. Took about 10 minutes of shooting a series and checking on the computer a couple times. One body was +5 and the other +3. Of course I did this after shooting a family get-together in which every shot was backfocused about a foot...
😵😵😵😵😵 I know what you mean!!! That's was my experience and why I made myself start testing ahead of time. Not much worse the getting the photos uploaded to your computer and wondering how your going to fix them. 😲😲😲😲