Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Sensor Cleaning KS-2

Has anyone ever used the sensor cleaning function of the KS-2? I would like to try it but I'm afraid of it screwing up the sensor. Is it worth using or is it just better to take it in for professional servicing?

07-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by retpgmr Quote
Has anyone ever used the sensor cleaning function of the KS-2? I would like to try it but I'm afraid of it screwing up the sensor. Is it worth using or is it just better to take it in for professional servicing?
The sensor cleaning option just lifts up the mirror and opens the shutter so you can get at the sensor. The camera also has its own cleaning system which shakes the sensor at startup/shutdown, if enabled, to help loosen dust particles.

Your first step should be to use a rocket blower to help get rid of that dust:
Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900

If you are not comfortable with doing a full cleaning yourself, and you still have visible dust on the sensor, you can have a pro do it. However, lots of users have been successful with it- there are plenty of threads and articles on the subject here on the forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KS2 is still new why bother cleaning, is it needed?
07-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by retpgmr Quote
I would like to try it but I'm afraid of it screwing up the sensor.
Does it need cleaned? If not, then don't mess with it.

You should have the dust removal function set to on at startup or shutdown. Then if you still have dust spots use a rocket blower carefully. Wet clean is for last resort IMHO.