Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Mark - thanks for your concern. I am using windows 10 with google browser, desktop computer, here is what happened;
I can not attached file/photo/illustration because it says " donate to increase your attachment ". When I click on the button " quote " nothing happened, sometimes this is not available on my window. Then I Proceeded to click post reply button, after logging in I can type text, paste previously copied texts, and recently can not use smilies. No "go advance" button is available when composing text. Active buttons are only preview post and submit reply. Yes I like to attach a screen shot similar to what you attached but i can not make it.
I do not know if this is due to Pentax forum website or my browser is limiting me to use all options. But my computer has no problem in all applications.
I am not a computer wizard and only knows the basic operation.
What do you think?
If you are asked to login after clicking reply, then you were not logged in before then. Try logging in and setting the browser to remember your login info. That may change the way things look and operate...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-26-2018 at 07:21 AM.
10-25-2018, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DES.. thanks...will use available tools.

Mark...thanks.. not willing to change google browser, I have different file hosting services.

Uncle... thanks... yes not log in first before clicking post reply, will try if it works and will check my forum settings.
10-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #33
Pentaxian

DES.. thanks...will use available tools.

Mark...thanks.. not willing to change google browser, I have different file hosting services.

Uncle... thanks... yes not log in first before clicking post reply, will try if it works and will check my forum settings.
It's always awesome to see "thank yous" for help provided. Thank you for the thank yous.
10-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't have to "change browsers". Your machine has both browsers. I'm simply suggesting that you log into PentaxForums from Edge to enable you to check whether the problems you experiencing is a Chrome settings issue or not.

10-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It takes time to find out where or what I am missing here.

To Normhead - nothing is personal to you. What happened is just a dream, lets forget about it. I hope you do.
11-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thats wild to hear. Thanks for the details.
I would agree with Alexx….the K-S2 is surprisingly quick on AF and can shoot quickly using spot focus. No Pentax (even my new K-1ii ) focuses quickly (relatively) on full focus (using the whole focus spectrum), but when I switch to spot focus, remarkably faster. I prefer that setting as it resembles my Leica RF with central focus...
11-29-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
When I first got my K-S2 many months ago, it was really just for fun and in anticipation of a trip. My first impressions were that I had a lot of fun shooting with it, way more fun than any of my cameras that I had before (almost all Canon). But because I didn't have much material around me (or more likely I'm such a lousy photographer), I was not amazed by any of the test pictures I had.

Now that I'm back from the trip and I'm screening through my photos....I'm loving this thing!
I shot mostly just JPG because I knew I wouldn't have time to do much post processing on a huge batch of photos. I just had the kit lenses with me, the really compact 18-50 and 50-200. Both worked great, the only thing is I wish I had something beyond 200 (shooting in the semi-wilderness). Oh right, and I also kept flicking the power switch to video instead of off.
Very solid, in the same trip I went through glaciers, near freezing rain, freezing cold spray from big waterfall and a sandy desert, K-S2 didn't give me any trouble.

I've never been a great photographer, most of my shots are really not that good. But man, does the K-S2 make me look better than I am. I love the default colours it gets, most of the time it gets it "right", just like I remember it with a slight bit of extra "pop" in the really bright colours. And I'm not sure how it does it but the images really make my subject standout from the background. Whether it was a person, a run down shack or whatever. I don't think I've gotten so many really good to amazing pix in the past.
And all those worries about the autofocus? Never a problem, I rarely lost a shot even when trying to track a gaggle of running children.

"Old" camera it may be, but still totally capable and a real blast to shoot with! Honestly, never enjoyed using a camera so much before...
Totally agree. I bought it as a stop gap because I had sold my K-3/ii in anticipation of the K-1ii. had extra DA lenses and picked this unused extra from Roberts Camera for about $350. It included the strap, manuals camera and the 16-50 retractible lens ($220 on its own). Took some shots with it and was amazed at its IQ, plus the selfie feature and wiFi. It compares very well with the K-70 (except for the 24 v. 20 mp). here's recent keeper with the K-S2

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
11-29-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alexx Quote
I use the cameras for event photography, and sometimes portraits, side by side using the same lens (sigma 17-50 or whatever you want) and i found not just a better focus accuracy but also ks-2 is much much faster in obtaining focus while k3 is a couple of seconds slower. My weekly shotcount is over 1000/week, AF settings is af.s on both cameras. k3 is better than k50 (which is by far the worst pentax in autofocus) but is average at best compared with ks2.
I have rediscovered my KS2 since I've been using my K3 and Canon 5D MKII for concerts and events. This camera is really good. I feel that my K3 is the faster with better dynamic range and the KS3 is more compact and lighter. I really don't need mirrorless because this little KS2 is so compact for the street.

Paired with the Sigma 30mm F1.4 and Pentax DA 20-40mm you get a wonderful little package.

Very low light
1/20th
F3.5
ISO3200

Shae and Friend
by John Rudolph, on Flickr

and handheld at 6/10th second

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe you could show us an example image of the type a K-3 won't resolve. I just went through 2200 images and have no clue what you are talking about. I have lots of back lit images, but you clearly shoot in a different environment. I'm just looking for a little guidance as to where to expect trouble.

The k-3 may have trouble focussing when there is little light on the subject and single point is selected. But, usually it focusses really well, even in the shadows.
Norm,

I usually don't have issues with the K3 with low light focusing however this might be what he's referring too. This type of light is very difficult to focus in.

Everclear

Marian hill @ The Showbox

AWOLNATION

Bush

Last edited by john5100; 11-29-2018 at 10:39 AM.
12-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

the Ks2 is still very compact then a lot of new DSLR
12-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
the Ks2 is still very compact then a lot of new DSLR
Agreed....the new limited lenses are quite small also. My K-S2 with the 40mm XS pancake looks like a slightly bloated point and shoot mini cam...love the looks I get and the inquiries from those not familiar. They are quite intrigued.
12-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thats wild to hear. Thanks for the details.
Love my Ks-2, even though it has fewer "bells and whistles" that my K10d. I agree that most people will never need all these extras that the more expensive bodies have!
12-19-2019, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me, too!

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
When I first got my K-S2 many months ago, it was really just for fun and in anticipation of a trip. My first impressions were that I had a lot of fun shooting with it, way more fun than any of my cameras that I had before (almost all Canon). But because I didn't have much material around me (or more likely I'm such a lousy photographer), I was not amazed by any of the test pictures I had.
"Old" camera it may be, but still totally capable and a real blast to shoot with! Honestly, never enjoyed using a camera so much before...
I found myself this year without a lot of cash, but the opportunity to make a quck (very quick) trip west from where I live now (Pennsylvania). We were to go to Arkansas for two events on subsequent Saturdays, and had a week to kill in between. After much thinking about how long is too long for a quick road trip, we did the math and figured out we could do San Antonio in 8.5 hours of driving, and Big Bend in a few more hours, Cloud Croft NM in a few more hours. Back into Arkansas in a long day's drive. That leg of our trip lasted from Monday to Friday, and hour 8 hour drives turned into 12 hour drives because the scenic way is always much better than the highway. Day 4 included about a 4 hour 90 mile u-turn where we learned that New Mexico highways are not necessarily paved nor passable (a washout sometime prior left a foot deep gully across the gravel road we had been on for a couple of hours without ever seeing another person, tracks, or cell service). But the real purpose of our trip was my response to an article I read a few years ago about seeing Big Bend at night, where the Milky Way shone so brightly you could see your shadow.

All that said, my SLR to that point was a Canon XSI, getting long in the tooth although still a good camera as far as it goes. My lens selection was paltry, so I wasn't locked into the format (my favorite lens with that setup is a 90mm Tamron Macro I bought used off a photo forum elsewhere). Reading some different astro-photography sites I came across the AstroTracer explanation with examples, and started looking more closely at the possibilities. Coincidentally, Ricoh was clearing out the K-S2, and at the time I had the option of camera only, camera plus 18-50 and 50-200mm, or camera plus 18-135mm. Having read through various forums, and reviewing costs of different components, I decided the $400 (then current price) 18-135WR lens with a new camera for $450 was a good enough deal for me. That alone does not AstroTracer make, so I also ordered the O-GPS1 unit, and had read about Rokinon's wide angle lens use with astrophotography, and found one for a bit over $200. My cost included the following:

Camera plus 18-135 ($450), GPS ($147), Rokinon 10mm F2.8 ($287), Sandisk Extreme 128GB ($30), Extra 3rd party batteries (2) ($18), so a bit over $900.

We knew we'd only have one full day and night in Big Bend, and the day heading west (Tuesday) from San Antonio included two fierce thunderstorms with torrential downpours, one almost closing highway 90 between San Antonio and Del Rio and the 2nd hitting just as we arrived in Marathon. Wednesday we drove down to Rio Grande Village in Big Bend, then over into the Chisos Mountains, and on to Terlingua. We never made it to Santa Elena Canyon area, and according to park rangers, all the back roads were a mess with folks getting swamped all over the place, so we stuck to pavement. We stayed the night in a tipi (cross that off the bucket list) and the puffy clouds that had been with us in the day blew off to the east opening the night sky for our enjoyment.

I stayed up much of the night taking what I've learned about longer exposure, and what I was learning about astrotracer, and was able to get this photo (my favorite of many). It is a single exposure, not stacked, barely tweaked from the raw original, and trying to get it is why we went here in the first place.

Feel free to view the trip photos with a newby Pentaxian and his "old" camera.

arkansawyer's Album: Texas - June 2019 - PentaxForums.com