Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 09:31 PM - 5 Likes   #1

So many keepers with my K-S2!

When I first got my K-S2 many months ago, it was really just for fun and in anticipation of a trip. My first impressions were that I had a lot of fun shooting with it, way more fun than any of my cameras that I had before (almost all Canon). But because I didn't have much material around me (or more likely I'm such a lousy photographer), I was not amazed by any of the test pictures I had.

Now that I'm back from the trip and I'm screening through my photos....I'm loving this thing!
I shot mostly just JPG because I knew I wouldn't have time to do much post processing on a huge batch of photos. I just had the kit lenses with me, the really compact 18-50 and 50-200. Both worked great, the only thing is I wish I had something beyond 200 (shooting in the semi-wilderness). Oh right, and I also kept flicking the power switch to video instead of off.
Very solid, in the same trip I went through glaciers, near freezing rain, freezing cold spray from big waterfall and a sandy desert, K-S2 didn't give me any trouble.

I've never been a great photographer, most of my shots are really not that good. But man, does the K-S2 make me look better than I am. I love the default colours it gets, most of the time it gets it "right", just like I remember it with a slight bit of extra "pop" in the really bright colours. And I'm not sure how it does it but the images really make my subject standout from the background. Whether it was a person, a run down shack or whatever. I don't think I've gotten so many really good to amazing pix in the past.
And all those worries about the autofocus? Never a problem, I rarely lost a shot even when trying to track a gaggle of running children.

"Old" camera it may be, but still totally capable and a real blast to shoot with! Honestly, never enjoyed using a camera so much before...

10-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to hear from others who enjoy the Pentax "difference". The K-S2 is a fine little camera. I didn't keep mine long but I really enjoyed it.

Feel free to share some of your images
10-22-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's good feed back, I have a similar experience looking back through my K-50 shots from years ago when I couldn't process and used the jpeg straight out of camera.
Still, you took the shots, not the camera so take some credit.
10-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The modern cameras available to all of us are embarrassingly good.

10-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

It's a really good camera, way better than k3 (first gen) when it comes to AF
10-22-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Like most of us here, you've discovered you don't have to have every bell and whistle out there to enjoy your camera. The thing most of the negative posters don't seem to comprehend is, if it meets your needs it can be better for you than every other camera out there.Thanks for posting as one of the "silent majority".
10-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EF..s.. have you ever had a problem taking photo with ks2 using flash indoor ( built in or external ) that came out bad?

10-22-2018, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
EF..s.. have you ever had a problem taking photo with ks2 using flash indoor ( built in or external ) that came out bad?
If you are looking for advice on using the K-S2 with flash, you might want to start a thread on that topic. Especially since the OP hasn't indicated that flash is a part of his photgraphy. You're odds of getting help here are pretty limited. Especially since using flash is probably a lot more dependant on flash technique than it is in differences on different cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 10-22-2018 at 10:15 AM.
10-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alexx Quote
It's a really good camera, way better than k3 (first gen) when it comes to AF
I have used the KS-2 and K-3 side by side and never noticed this. Do you have any specifics to share? At the overall specs level the K-3, K-3ii both use SAFOX 11 and have 27 focus points 25 of which are crosspoint. The KS-2 is SAFOX X (assume this is 10) and has 11 focus points, 9 of which are crosspoint. I wonder if the benefit you have seen may be related to the reduced focus points - you can switch to a smaller number on the K-3 which may then approximate the same benefits.
10-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have used the KS-2 and K-3 side by side and never noticed this. Do you have any specifics to share? At the overall specs level the K-3, K-3ii both use SAFOX 11 and have 27 focus points 25 of which are crosspoint. The KS-2 is SAFOX X (assume this is 10) and has 11 focus points, 9 of which are crosspoint. I wonder if the benefit you have seen may be related to the reduced focus points - you can switch to a smaller number on the K-3 which may then approximate the same benefits.
I use the cameras for event photography, and sometimes portraits, side by side using the same lens (sigma 17-50 or whatever you want) and i found not just a better focus accuracy but also ks-2 is much much faster in obtaining focus while k3 is a couple of seconds slower. My weekly shotcount is over 1000/week, AF settings is af.s on both cameras. k3 is better than k50 (which is by far the worst pentax in autofocus) but is average at best compared with ks2.
10-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the cameras for event photography, and sometimes portraits, side by side using the same lens (sigma 17-50 or whatever you want) and i found not just a better focus accuracy but also ks-2 is much much faster in obtaining focus while k3 is a couple of seconds slower. My weekly shotcount is over 1000/week, AF settings is af.s on both cameras. k3 is better than k50 (which is by far the worst pentax in autofocus) but is average at best compared with ks2.
Again I am not disputing you. But I point out that stat wise it doesn't seem expected. What are your precise settings on each camera? The k-3 may be considering a lot of additional focus options which could slow it down.
10-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are looking for advice on using the K-S2 with flash, you might want to start a thread on that topic. Especially since the OP hasn't indicated that flash is a part of his photgraphy. You're odds of getting help here are pretty limited. Especially since using flash is probably a lot more dependant on flash technique than it is in differences on different cameras.

Normhead...thank you for the unsolicited advice. You should have not replied because it is not intended for you.
10-22-2018, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote

QuoteQuote:
Normhead...thank you for the unsolicited advice. You should have not replied because it is not intended for you

If you post in a public thread, you get answers from the public. If you want to keep things private, send a private message. It's on you to keep your private stuff private. It has nothing to do with me. But since you reacted so rudely maybe that will let me ask you a question.

Since the thread has nothing to do with flash, what exactly are you doing? Hijacking the thread for your own purposes? And what exactly is that purpose? Your response seemed somewhat odd and inappropriate to me. Just trying to clarify what exactly you are hoping to accomplish. And I'll do that whenever I please. it's not up to you.

Last edited by normhead; 10-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
10-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Again I am not disputing you. But I point out that stat wise it doesn't seem expected. What are your precise settings on each camera? The k-3 may be considering a lot of additional focus options which could slow it down.
1 focus point, center on both cameras. For example if there's a powerful light behind or around the subject the k3 will not achieve focus while ks2 has almost no problem.
10-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1 focus point, center on both cameras. For example if there's a powerful light behind or around the subject the k3 will not achieve focus while ks2 has almost no problem.
Thats wild to hear. Thanks for the details.