Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alexx Quote
1 focus point, center on both cameras. For example if there's a powerful light behind or around the subject the k3 will not achieve focus while ks2 has almost no problem.
Maybe you could show us an example image of the type a K-3 won't resolve. I just went through 2200 images and have no clue what you are talking about. I have lots of back lit images, but you clearly shoot in a different environment. I'm just looking for a little guidance as to where to expect trouble.

The k-3 may have trouble focussing when there is little light on the subject and single point is selected. But, usually it focusses really well, even in the shadows.

Last edited by normhead; 10-22-2018 at 06:55 PM.
10-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could the AF sensor be dirty?
10-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Could the AF sensor be dirty?
Its quite possible, I got my K-3 in 2013-11 that the AF system has improvements. The K-S2 is two years younger and a a lot can happen in 2 years. But I suspect the problem is an unusual use compared to most Pentax shooters, and for some reason the K-S2 performs better, in that environment.

But in 5 years averaging over 20,000 exposures a year, I can't recall having that issue. Although I wasn't looking for it either.
10-22-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a K-3 and a K-S2 and I haven't noticed the behaviour that @Alexx has experienced. I also mostly use single point AF on both cameras. One reason I prefer to use the K-3 for wildlife is that I find it focuses more accurately. Not that the K-S2 is at all bad (it's better than the K-30 I had before).

But since the thread is about the K-S2, let me say how pleasing it is to hear from a happy camper. I really like mine too.

If I may make a suggestion, @EFats - switch to RAW + jpg. Stash away the RAW files (or at least the good ones) for the day when you have the time, skills and inclination for post-processing shots that you value most. Storage is really cheap these days. My greatest regret in digital photography is that for my first 6 years I shot jpg only. There are many images that I would now love to have in RAW, because I could make a lot more of them.

10-22-2018, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
EF..s.. have you ever had a problem taking photo with ks2 using flash indoor ( built in or external ) that came out bad?
I have not had a lot of indoor shots with flash yet. Generally I have not had great experience with any camera, I only have one external flash and the onboard flash that I usually have available doesn't give great results, it just gives me bad glare every where. It's a little bit better if I hack up something to diffuse and reflect the flash upwards, but again, general problem, not really specific to K-S2.
I have found that with the newer cameras, I can often get a decent picture in dimmer light without needing a flash and I general prefer the kind of "natural" colour I get without the flash.

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 09:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I've got a K-3 and a K-S2 and I haven't noticed the behaviour that @Alexx has experienced. I also mostly use single point AF on both cameras. One reason I prefer to use the K-3 for wildlife is that I find it focuses more accurately. Not that the K-S2 is at all bad (it's better than the K-30 I had before).

But since the thread is about the K-S2, let me say how pleasing it is to hear from a happy camper. I really like mine too.

If I may make a suggestion, @EFats - switch to RAW + jpg. Stash away the RAW files (or at least the good ones) for the day when you have the time, skills and inclination for post-processing shots that you value most. Storage is really cheap these days. My greatest regret in digital photography is that for my first 6 years I shot jpg only. There are many images that I would now love to have in RAW, because I could make a lot more of them.
Yes, that is something I resort to once in a while. I did that at the beginning, but due to matters unrelated to camera (I keep my photos on a NAS RAID that normally gets accessed over WiFi and it is really sloooow when moving so many big images and I was too lazy to fix the issue) I stopped that for a bit.

Then I realized that, unlike my other camera's, on my K-S2, grabbing a RAW shot was a simple button press away! So any time I think I might have framed a good image and/or some adjustments might be needed later, I just press the button during the shoot. Another reason why I really like this camera!
I know it is not for everyone but it seems the way Pentax works really suits my style.
10-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
I know it is not for everyone but it seems the way Pentax works really suits my style.
Good to hear. It's amazing how much capability the K-S2 has for an entry-level camera. That trick about being able to save a single RAW file despite shooting jpg only is an example.

the onboard flash that I usually have available doesn't give great results, it just gives me bad glare every where. It's a little bit better if I hack up something to diffuse and reflect the flash upwards, but again, general problem, not really specific to K-S2.
You can dial down the output from the onboard flash by up to 2 stops, using flash exposure compensation. If that's not enough, you can select Manual in the flash options and dial down the output - to 1/128th of full power if you like. This is handy when you don't have an external flash but just want a little fill.

I just had the kit lenses with me, the really compact 18-50 and 50-200. Both worked great, the only thing is I wish I had something beyond 200 (shooting in the semi-wilderness)
At some stage you might want to add one of the xx-300 zooms to your kit, particularly for birds and other wildlife. Any of the four Pentax 55-300 lenses is a good option, depending on your budget - from the DA-L 55-300mm f4-5.8 (very good optical quality, and a great bargain for about $US100) to the latest DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM with its lightning fast and quiet AF.

Last edited by Des; 10-22-2018 at 10:08 PM.
10-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

EF..s.. have you ever had a problem taking photo with ks2 using flash indoor ( built in or external ) that came out bad?

I have a K-S2, PV, and it doesn't behave any differently from my K-x, K-30 or K-1.

10-23-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try triggering both flashes to reduce the harsh light. Have them come from multiple angles. Onboard direct (-2 stops perhaps) and a bounced external triggered by optical or other means.
10-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

To EFats... sorry to make this way because my window do not have " quote " to click and paste the reply ;

I have not had a lot of indoor shots with flash yet. Generally I have not had great experience with any camera, I only have one external flash and the onboard flash that I usually have available doesn't give great results, it just gives me bad glare every where. It's a little bit better if I hack up something to diffuse and reflect the flash upwards, but again, general problem, not really specific to K-S2.
I have found that with the newer cameras, I can often get a decent picture in dimmer light without needing a flash and I general prefer the kind of "natural" colour I get without the flash.

Yes it is true that outdoor shots gives the great colors without flash and indoors shots are brighter with glare if no back lighting - shadows ruined the whole thing. After many trials using the built in flash with my ks2, Using Av mode, F5.6, ISO 100-400 auto, 0 EV, object distance is 12 ft., with hood, 18-50 mm lens or 28-105 mm, gives a nice result. Its better to make -1 EV, but i prefer 0 is good to my eye. Still a new learner.

Thanks everyone for your response as i said can not quote your reply because Adam said " go advance " I said i will just use what is available in this forum.
10-23-2018, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To EFats... sorry to make this way because my window do not have " quote " to click and paste the reply ;

Thanks everyone for your response as i said can not quote your reply because Adam said " go advance " I said i will just use what is available in this forum.
What browser are you using?
You should be seeing the "Quote" button. And, when composing a post, you should see the "Go Advanced" option.

Like this:
Attached Images

10-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Mark - thanks for your concern. I am using windows 10 with google browser, desktop computer, here is what happened;
I can not attached file/photo/illustration because it says " donate to increase your attachment ". When I click on the button " quote " nothing happened, sometimes this is not available on my window. Then I Proceeded to click post reply button, after logging in I can type text, paste previously copied texts, and recently can not use smilies. No "go advance" button is available when composing text. Active buttons are only preview post and submit reply. Yes I like to attach a screen shot similar to what you attached but i can not make it.
I do not know if this is due to Pentax forum website or my browser is limiting me to use all options. But my computer has no problem in all applications.
I am not a computer wizard and only knows the basic operation.
What do you think?
10-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You should be seeing the "Quote" button. And, when composing a post, you should see the "Go Advanced" option.
Just to add to Mark's helpful and detailed description, another quick way to quote from a previous post (using Windows) is to select the relevant portion of text from the post that you want to quote and right-click. A link saying "Quote this text" should come up. Click that and the text will be inserted in the "Quick Reply" box with "quote" and "end quote" tags around it. Type your response below that.

Yes I like to attach a screen shot similar to what you attached but i can not make it.
How to Take Screenshots in Windows 10
10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

DES... I have tried that highlighting text then at the end will pop up " quote text " this will not appear any more to click it.

Also I know how to use snipping tool but i can not attached it because it will not upload and it gives a note above that says " donate to increase attachment. limit is 4.9 MB.

I said I will just use what is available in this forum.
10-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I said I will just use what is available in this forum.
Whatever works for you.

As for attachments, you could open a Flickr account for free and post photos from there.
10-24-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark - thanks for your concern. I am using windows 10 with google browser, desktop computer, here is what happened;
I can not attached file/photo/illustration because it says " donate to increase your attachment ". When I click on the button " quote " nothing happened, sometimes this is not available on my window. Then I Proceeded to click post reply button, after logging in I can type text, paste previously copied texts, and recently can not use smilies. No "go advance" button is available when composing text. Active buttons are only preview post and submit reply. Yes I like to attach a screen shot similar to what you attached but i can not make it.
I do not know if this is due to Pentax forum website or my browser is limiting me to use all options. But my computer has no problem in all applications.
I am not a computer wizard and only knows the basic operation.
What do you think?
I cannot see any setting issue this side to prevent you from using the forum as intended. What does seem strange is the inability to post photos. You do not have appeared to have posted any photos so your (free) allowance should not be used up.

I would recommend trying to access the forum using another browser tyo see if you have inadvertently set some settings in Google Chrome that is stopping you from using the forum's features. If you're using Windows 10, then 10 comes with the Edge browser so simply type Edge in your search bar and open that app and try accessing Pentax Forums with Edge to see if the buttons are functional there.

Further, even if your image allowance is "full" (and I don't see why) you can still link to images you have posted elsewhere. So, if you use another photo hosting site, you can copy and paste the address for that image into your message here, and all you have to do is place a square bracket with img in front of that link and a square bracket with forward slash and img behind your link and the forum will display your image from that site here. Example [IMG]your link here[/IMG]