Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

K-S2 and HDR shots

I'm only in my 2nd DSLR and the first with hdr settings. When I shoot with hdr, the pictures are vivid but sometimes not realistic. Im usually using a 1 stop setting. I've attached some example shots. Us there something I'm doing wrong or do I need to post process this somehow to take the hdr effect. This is really pronounced with a bright sky where the ground objects have a Halo effect.

Thanks

11-10-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's exactly what HDR does. The in-camera HDR is pretty limited in effect. If you want different HDR effects, you need to shoot multiple shots and combine them in software in post (preferably shoot RAW.) Photoshopt's HDR routine is terrible IMO, so I'd look elsewhere.

When HDR "works" in my experience is when you have very dark shadows and very bright spots in the same shot. Then, it can even that out a bit. Your images are all within the capabilities of good exposure in one shot, so those may always look dodgy in HDR.

HDR has its place, but I think your shots are the wrong sorts to get what it is you think you want. To be honest, HDR is one of those things we all play with very early on in our photography, but I grew bored with it quickly as it doesn't really ever look like what I was hoping for. I'm reminded of this graph.

You may just be in the "HDR Hole". LOL, I hope not.

For more examples, just go to Flickr and search "HDR". Most all of them look garish and cartoonish. Fine if that's what you want, but not so hot if you're after something more realistic looking.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=hdr
11-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tony, are you switching to A-HDR on the Mode Dial? That seems to me usually to give an unnatural result. If so, instead set the dial to your usual choice of mode (I usually use Av Mode) and select HDR Capture either in the Control Panel or in the Camera Menu 1. Select HDR Auto, with +/-3, and Auto Align on. If hand-holding the camera, make sure that SR is on as usual. In my view these settings usually give a more natural result, e.g.

Single shot OOC JPEG:

HDR-Auto OOC JPEG:

Cheers.
Philip
2 Days Ago   #4

Like Tony I too have never gotten good results from using A-HDR mode - too many unnatural halos and such. Consequently I've tended to ignore that mode. I've attempted to enable HDR in other modes as Philip suggests, however it's not possible to toggle ON except in the U1 and U2 modes. Any thoughts on what I may be missing?

FWIW, I'm using a K-S2 with v1.10 firmware.

Thanks in advance!

Mike