Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unusual K-S2 mirror sticking issue that self corrected

Recently picked up a used like new K-S2 with only 2,650 shutter actuations and had some odd issues that cleared on it's own.

The first thing I noticed as odd was my SMC DA40 lens was tight when mounting it and rotating to the locked position. I took about three shots and the mirror gets stuck with the viewfinder going partially dark. Took the lens off and put it back on, same deal. Tried a few other lenses, which mounted fine but still the mirror sticking problem continued. It was just the DA40 that had the mounting issue.

Sent the vendor an email on getting it repaired since they have a decent 180 day warranty on used equipment. After sending the email I decided to fiddle with it a bit more. I gently moved the mirror and heard a soft clicking sound as it moved back into position. I then worked the aperture linkage up and down a bit and it seemed to reset to a new position.

After that I remounted the DA40 and it went on normally like all the other lenses, and it functioned just fine. After 40 to 50 snaps it is working normally now. All my lenses work with no issues. Sent the vendor a follow-up email saying never mind.

The K-S2 is amazing and has everything I ever wanted in a camera body so I'm really looking forward to using it for some time to come. If it breaks I'll get it fixed. No big deal. I figure since it's a complex electrical-mechanical device there are bound to be some with issues. Stuff happens.

12-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
The K-S2 is amazing and has everything I ever wanted in a camera body so I'm really looking forward to using it for some time to come. If it breaks I'll get it fixed. No big deal. I figure since it's a complex electrical-mechanical device there are bound to be some with issues. Stuff happens.
Stuff like improper mirror movement should not happen and most things that clear themselves show the fault again. I would ask the vendor to fully evaluate the camera. If it breaks again after the warranty is over, your cost to repair will likely exceed $250.

Steve
12-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I agree it should not happen, but then again my Kr had the grease issue with the rear dial (fixed by using some contact cleaner) and my daughters K50 had the aperture block failure ($130 repair). The KS2 could also develop the aperture block issue at any time and not get detected by any evaluation. Pentax cameras at this tier (Kr K30 K50 KS1 KS2) have a different quality level than the K3, K5 or KP series and are priced accordingly.

I use cameras pretty heavily so was thinking before the warranty ran out I should have several thousand shots on the mirror assembly, and so any issues should show up.

Your suggestion is a good one though and I will consider that also.

Thanks!