Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Just googled "Canon 70d died" it was lots of bad news.
Gosh, thanks for the heads-up! I'm definitely striking out Canon 70D from my options on this news alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
If your budget allows for a used 80d, consider a Pentax k70 as well, it's newer and it has one the best sensors for apsc.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Consider buying a k-5 or k-5ii/iis.
Unfortunately, the latest Pentax DSLRs available on Facebook marketplace in my area are K-50, K-3 and K-S2.

My brother & I am flying to Osaka, Japan for a vacation next week which would give me a wider range of used cameras to pick from. It's just that I'm hesitant about buying a used camera body on the same day that I land? Like, I wouldn't have much time to familiarize myself with the controls and I have very little experience in assessing camera defects. I am bringing my K-01 with me so I can still shoot, but I would really prefer to avoid having it as our "main" camera.

Last edited by Jomar; 01-18-2019 at 08:47 PM.
01-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Gosh, thanks for the heads-up! I'm definitely striking out Canon 70D from my options on this news alone.
But there are 100 to 1 canon/pentax ppl so don't discount canon either.
01-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joule1991 Quote
After comparing the the K-S2 and the 80D in this site I think the K-S2 is better value for money, but they are cameras in different ranges. The 80D compares with the K-3.
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If you are concerned I would suggest you also include a used K-5,K-5IIs, or one of the K-3 versions in your thinking. They have no identified problems.
Thank you for the tip about the K-3 not having these problems! I have to admit, when I'm considering the K-3 as an option, I'm finding it super hard to decide between K-3 and the K-S2! I found someone who was willing to sell their K-3 body with 25k shutter count for USD 300 and to me that seems very competitive when matched against a K-S2 with the DA 50mm prime lens for USD 380.

I found out today that my K-01 shares the same D-LI90 battery as the K-3, & that the K-S2 has a different battery? Not sure though if that's enough to tip the decision to the K-3..
01-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k3 is a remarkable camera. Buy it. The only thing you really might miss is the tilt swivel screen. But the k3 has many other advantages.

01-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It happened to me and was a $100 fix by the gentleman in California. Just budget that in and you should be fine. An otherwise great camera for the price. (In hindsight I should've just sprung for the K-3, but admittedly there have been a few shots i.e wide angle close to water edge where the swivel screen has been clutch)
01-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
But there are 100 to 1 canon/pentax ppl so don't discount canon either.
I had processor issues with two consecutive Canon Rebels. You may have different issues, but consumer grade is consumer grade - the more you spend the more you actually get. Pentax has said that the KP has the same aperture control as the K-7/5/3 line, not the solenoid used on K-n0 cameras.