Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Opinion on other brand lenses

Hi! I have a Pentax K-S2 and trying to fit another brand lens(canon) on my pentax, what are the pros and cons of putting another lens using an adapter? I choose canon lens before it is cheaper here in our country (Ph). Advance thank you for your reponse.

01-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the usual rule is if the adapter requires any glass in it to make it work, it will likely degrade your images...
01-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Older Nikon lenses (non-AI) can be mounted to the Pentax - they won't lock and the infinity mark will be off (it will focus past infinity) but you could play with some manual focus Nikon vintage gear that way. If you like the results there are ways to change the mount to be more permanent and lock.

Canon - as indicated above will only work with an adapter that has glass - that acts as a teleconverter and so everything is much narrower. Additionally these glass adapters are typically too cheap to be any good.

Honestly as cheaply as bodies can be had - I would buy an older Canon for those lenses. Unless you are talking about FD/FL lenses in which case you can't get them to work on modern Canon's.
01-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paoestrellado Quote
Hi! I have a Pentax K-S2 and trying to fit another brand lens(canon) on my pentax, what are the pros and cons of putting another lens using an adapter? I choose canon lens before it is cheaper here in our country (Ph). Advance thank you for your reponse.
The biggest benefit of less-expensive Canon lenses is their electronic aperture control and their in-lens AF motors. Use one with an adapter, and you lose all of that. Selling this lens and purchasing a K-mount lens, and purchasing a Canon Rebel {basically equivalent to your K-S2} are your best two options.

01-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In addition to having a shorter focal flange than K-mount, EF mount has an electromagnetic aperture. There are no adapters for K-mount. Sigma makes an EF mount adapter for Sony E mount,
01-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Inexpensive legacy lenses is a hallmark of the Pentax K mount. There are plenty of lenses out there that are native to the K mount.
01-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here. I would agree that it is better for image quality and compatibility that you stick to the lenses that have the native mount of your camera. Canon lenses on Canon and K-mount lenses on Pentax.

01-25-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to use "other brand" lenses on your Pentax, I would recommend buying the M42 adapter and looking for M42 lenses. You'll find them in every country in the world and some can be had very cheap.
01-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
there are limited pentax users here in our country that's what i'm looking for other lenses.
01-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

there are limited pentax users here in our country that's what i'm looking for other lenses.
For everyday shooting, adapting a modern Canon lens to a Pentax DSLR is not something that will benefit you. It would be better to just use a Canon body in that case, since the adapter will cost you automation and image quality.

That said, there are plenty of third-party lenses in the K-mount which might be easier to source if there are no Pentax dealers in your area:
Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Not to mention the tons of legacy K-mount lenses, and M42 lenses, made by Pentax and others, which are a great value and are easy to find online. Our lens databases are a great resource for finding lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2019, 02:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only echo everyone else's advice. Get some K-mount lenses, or a Canon body.
01-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For everyday shooting, adapting a modern Canon lens to a Pentax DSLR is not something that will benefit you. It would be better to just use a Canon body in that case, since the adapter will cost you automation and image quality.

That said, there are plenty of third-party lenses in the K-mount which might be easier to source if there are no Pentax dealers in your area:
Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Not to mention the tons of legacy K-mount lenses, and M42 lenses, made by Pentax and others, which are a great value and are easy to find online. Our lens databases are a great resource for finding lenses.
it's okay to fit a m42 lens on a s-2 ?
01-26-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's okay to fit a m42 lens on a s-2 ?
Absolutely. All Pentax bodies work with M42 lenses.
You'll need an adaptor. It's worth paying a few extra dollars for the Pentax version.
01-26-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

there are limited pentax users here in our country
Since you are from PH, and Pentax cameras are made in the Philippines (and have been for a few decades), I am surprised to hear that there are only a limited number of Pentax users there. I always thought it likely that there would be more Pentax users there than other places.
01-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Absolutely. All Pentax bodies work with M42 lenses.
You'll need an adaptor. It's worth paying a few extra dollars for the Pentax version.
Thank you! will check on that.

---------- Post added 01-27-19 at 08:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Since you are from PH, and Pentax cameras are made in the Philippines (and have been for a few decades), I am surprised to hear that there are only a limited number of Pentax users there. I always thought it likely that there would be more Pentax users there than other places.
Oh don't be, we have a facebook group for us ph users of pentax and we are only a less of a thousand there, and some of them are not that active. canon, fuji, nikon, and sony are the most used brands here.