Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

K-s2 shutter lag

Hi,
My K-s2 sometimes presents a significant shutter lag. After having done some shots, it may be that nothing happens when I press the shutter button again. In such a case I have to wait about five seconds, sometimes more, until the camera is ready for the next shot. In the meantime, the autofocus doesnt't work either - pressing the shutter button halfway has no effect.

I thought the problem could be settings-related, but I have no idea in what respect. It can happen when I'm shooting in continuous mode, but also after I've taken a single picture. I have replaced the SD card by a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB which boasts a transfer speed of up to 100 MB/sec, since I assumed buffer load or reading from the buffer and writing on the card might be an issue. But that didn't change anything I would say.

The problem doesn't occur regularly, rather sporadically, and I could live with it, eventually . But doing street photography with my K-s2, I've already missed quite I few good shots. If anyone had a suggestion, I'd be grateful.

Cheers.
Peter

02-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the buffer is filling up.
Here's info on that.
Pentax K-S2 Review - Performance & Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Don't know about a single frame except for long exposure.
02-10-2019, 01:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Sounds like the buffer is filling up.
Here's info on that.
Pentax K-S2 Review - Performance & Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Don't know about a single frame except for long exposure.
Thank you, swanlefitte. I'll monitor the problem more closely. Think it's necessary.
02-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pfeist Quote
Hi,
My K-s2 sometimes presents a significant shutter lag. After having done some shots, it may be that nothing happens when I press the shutter button again. In such a case I have to wait about five seconds, sometimes more, until the camera is ready for the next shot. In the meantime, the autofocus doesnt't work either - pressing the shutter button halfway has no effect.

I thought the problem could be settings-related, but I have no idea in what respect. It can happen when I'm shooting in continuous mode, but also after I've taken a single picture. I have replaced the SD card by a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB which boasts a transfer speed of up to 100 MB/sec, since I assumed buffer load or reading from the buffer and writing on the card might be an issue. But that didn't change anything I would say.

The problem doesn't occur regularly, rather sporadically, and I could live with it, eventually . But doing street photography with my K-s2, I've already missed quite I few good shots. If anyone had a suggestion, I'd be grateful.

Cheers.
Peter
Maybe change the recording mode if your doing jpeg plus raw to just jpeg only capture and see if that makes any difference. If you can, try a few SD cards.

03-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #5

Set Improve Clarity to OFF (Info button, first line, fourth column). When it's ON, camera will need around 5 seconds of downtime after each shot to process the image.
04-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Set Improve Clarity to OFF (Info button, first line, fourth column). When it's ON, camera will need around 5 seconds of downtime after each shot to process the image.
This is essentially what I've found with another older Pentax DSLR, too. When I turned off some in-camera processing I had set, the camera returned to much quicker readiness for the next shot...