Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

K-S2 overheating and other issues

I just purchased this K-S2 body from Amazon Warehouse ($275). It had less than 500 shutter count and looks to be in mint condition. The listing stated minor cosmetic damage, but there was nothing I could find. I was pretty excited, thinking I got a steal...and then I tried it out.

Problem 1: It overheats. Or, at least, it claims it is shutting off due to overheating. This is after less than 5 minutes of use. I turn it back on, it goes for a bit, then repeats the same overheating message and shuts down. (the camera itself does not feel hot)

Problem 2: Pictures are great when using the display view. However, if I switch to the viewfinder (in Auto or Scene modes -- indoor pictures) all pictures are bright white. The shutter speed doesn't go above 1/15. Switch back to display view, and all is well. If I switch to T or Tav, pictures come out great through the view finder as the shutter speed adjusts as needed (1/128, 1/256, etc).

Yes, I can send it back for a full refund. However, due to the great price, I wanted to check and see if someone had an easy fix

Thanks!

04-03-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Hmm, neither of those sound familiar to me. I've never had a shutdown due to overheating. Unless you're shooting in an oven, that alone would make me think about returning it.

As a longshot, maybe try reset to factory defaults and update the firmware?
04-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back it's broken. Good luck.
04-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by h2dk Quote
Problem 1: It overheats.
Problem 2: Pictures are great when using the display view. However, if I switch to the viewfinder (in Auto or Scene modes -- indoor pictures) all pictures are bright white.
To echo the good doctor (above)...Send it back, it's broken!

Steve

P.S. Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

04-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, that's what I figured
04-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks, that's what I figured

Sorry. Pentax cameras are generally very reliable. I've been using them under all sorts of weather conditions for 10 years and never had a problem. I hope you choose to stay with Pentax for the replacement. Welcome aboard!
04-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds broken but hail Mary factory reset. Also check the battery compartment for corrosion. If none send it back. If yes try a quick cottonbud clean then probably send it back.
Liveview shouldn't be white in auto unless the sensor is shorting. That explained overheat also.
04-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I also have a K-S2 and I confirm that I never had my device shutting down because of overheating, nor exposition problems. Clearly something is broken with that particular camera and you should send it back. Too bad since it's a great camera otherwise!