Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Memory card - size and type

Hi there - I am hoping to understand what is the maximum size and highest speed memory card I can use in my K-S2? I have looked through the forums but am having trouble filtering...
Michael in Vancouver!

05-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is specified is the type of card that can be used in the camera, which is up to SDXC (and UHS-I for speed (1 in a U), which is comparable to the class 10 (10 in a circle) speed). Since this is backwards compatible, you can also use SD and SDHC cards.
The SDXC standard is specified for up to 2 TB (2*1000GB), but those card sizes have not been made publicly available yet (if they have even been achieved at all).

So I think the K-S2 should support the 1 TB cards that have been shown by Lexar at CES this year, though I haven't used cards larger than 32 GB so far. I can try 64 GB cards later.
You should be fine with 128 and 256 GB cards, but I'd rather change the card one more time than have a big card with all my photos on it fail or get lost. 32 GB is plenty to shoot hundreds of photos a day (~30 MB for RAW+JPG, so the 32 GB card could take more than 1,000 photos)

Speedwise UHS-II cards will also work, but at UHS-I speeds. The same should be true for UHS-III cards. I guess UHS-I cards are plenty for the K-S2, since the internal processing to write the photos to the cards takes longer than it theoretically should for cards of those speeds (just speculation, I'm too lazy to do the testing, but you can try for yourself: fill the buffer and measure the time it takes to take one more photo; look at the photo size afterwards; compare with the promised write speeds of the card. Do note that they print "up to" onto the cards, no minimum guaranteed writing speed)
05-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeeSul Quote
Hi there - I am hoping to understand what is the maximum size and highest speed memory card I can use in my K-S2? I have looked through the forums but am having trouble filtering...
Michael in Vancouver!
Check out this comprehensive guide:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

TLDR, if you get any Sandisk extreme or extreme pro card, you will currently get optimal performance. With how cheap cards have become, there's no reason to get anything smaller than 32Gb, IMO, and you can certainly venture above that if you even plan to shoot full frame, or use raw a lot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2019, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both - great information, concise and useable! Cheers...