Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah yes, you are familiar with that solenoid...

Remember Tony's K-S2? He gave it to me because I was going to try to see if I could fix it or at least use it for a video project, as video was working (that project, I ended up not doing).

After realizing there was no viable fix, I took the white solenoid out of the K-S2 to put in my K-S1. Tony had bought a good white solenoid but he had used the propane gun to solder it - I knew it probably wasn't good anymore, but I was hoping I would be lucky. Hey it was a white solenoid, so I thought I'd try. It didn't even look damaged! But it was dead...

The K-S2 was given away to use for parts.

That is the story of that solenoid. It's in my trash can right now...
Thanks!
Well, I wasn't quite aware that you'd use that solenoid.

But at least it was dead and not functioning like a sanded green or a SLR Japan-Solenoid out of a MZ,
because you kept possible havoc away.

Well done!

How did you solve those issues were you "cracked the plastic"? Superglue or did you find any other clue?

03-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well done!

How did you solve those issues were you "cracked the plastic"? Superglue or did you find any other clue?
Thank you!

Well the main crack at the corner is still there - and there is a part of the trim that broke off as well. I don't remember ever dropping this camera but as I said my sons and my wife have used it and they're not very careful with this kind of equipment (my wife usually breaks her phone screen within weeks of getting a new one...)

When I put it back together this time I was able to at least close the gap on the side. There might still be a little bit of dust coming in there, but hopefully not much.

03-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
I am wondering - does this repair also apply to the K100D? Is it fairly similar? I think I have the same problem. My camera just clicks, won't take a picture, won't adjust the aperture, - everything else is working.
03-13-2021, 02:01 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BenSelin Quote
I am wondering - does this repair also apply to the K100D? Is it fairly similar? I think I have the same problem. My camera just clicks, won't take a picture, won't adjust the aperture, - everything else is working.
I answered HERE in your other thread.

It is not similar, because the K100D uses the Japan-DSLR-Solenoid.
This Japan-made solenoid never fails (if nobody tampered with it).
In this thread I explained as well, why this repair-shop you visited with your K100D was not only wrong, when claiming that
"the aperture-control-unit of your K100D needs to be repaired"
but also why they possibly try to give you this idea! (post #12)

Just for clarity:

The "aperture-control-unit" is the solenoid:

The "diaphragm-control-unit" is the complete board:

Now, to exchange the solenoid takes about 30min - 60min depending on a few factors, one could ... if everything such as tools etc. is ready do it within maybe 20min (I never like to rush)

To exchange the latter, you need to disassemble the camera almost complety right down to the last few steps:

For the K30/K50 it takes these steps:
(which is easier than for the K-S1, K-S2 and K-70 because they have a much smaller mainboard, trickier soldering points
and lands... I challenge those who claim they have done so)

Disassembly of main body
- removal bottom cover
- removalt op cover (discharge main capacitor, unsolder 5 leads)
- removal front cover
- removal back cover

Now we come to the real serious stuff:
- removal of the mainboard (unsolder 10 leads)
- removal the shake reduction block
- removal the tripod plate
- removal of the flex board (unsolder 10 wires, unsolder 22 lands!)
- removalof the flash pc-board (unsolder 7 wires, unsolder 11 lands)
- removal of the R-Plate
- removal ofthe upper relay flex circuit block (unsolder 17 wires, unsolder 4 lands)
- removal of the G-shoulder-plate
- removal of the front housing assembly
- removalof the battery case assembly and related parts

- removal of the top-board covering the 2 solenoids for the shutter

(countless different screws not to mention, all those need to be placed accordingly!)

So believe me: Nobody will do this for even $ 250!

Precision chargeds $ 250 for just the exchange of the solenoid (same China solenoid which costs them possibly peanuts)
(if still on warranty, the might go the whole hog, but actually: I have serious daubts!)
Others charge $ 100 for filing/sanding (about the same work-flow involved)

A few days ago I disassembled a K100D, the mainboard was finished, so first I took the solenoids out and then continued just for fun
to see how easy it is to get the diaphragm-control-unit out (it is designed with the same principal but is slighty different, one could not swap it
for use in the K30): I am now pretty fast with such work and I can guarantee you:
Nobody in the world would exchange that block except for HARAKIRI!

It's the most idiotic thing you can do because it is in 99,999% just the solenoid.
But of course, if the sparkplugs of your engine need to be exchanged, you can first take the whole engine out for better access to the sparkplugs.
Or this way?

Here you can watch a rough (damaging) disassembly of the K100D:

Last edited by photogem; 03-13-2021 at 02:22 AM.