Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 06:23 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Update and a very intesting story:

Here an update to a very strange problem:

I got a K-S1 which didn't work at all. It was sold for good money on ebay France as
"almost new, aperture-block-failure" (for parts only, no warranty, no return possible)

A friend purchased it and wanted to repair it but when he received the camera he couldn't switch it on, it seemed dead as dead could be.
So the camera came to me and I started to research. The fault was really odd:

As soon as the front part was back in place the camera worked but as soon as the screws insereted it stopped working.

I was puzzled but I wanted to find out and finally noticed that the problem was a tiny switch:

I decided to wait until I had another K-S1 for repair so I could measure what the proper function of this switch which finally happened last week:

This switch simply bridges two contacts for powering the K-S1 off when opening the battery-door and removing the battery.
But as soon as the battery is inserted back in and the battery-door closed the K-S1 switches on again.

This switch had been damaged by a wrong (too long) screw, it had a dimple on the top:

I removed the switch by clipping of the contacts (two red arrows) a simple solution, now one just has to switch the K-S1 on again on the main On/Off-switch if the battery is removed, that's all.
happened when the K-S1 was assembled originally and it just wasn't tested for function

I also exchanged the solenoid and then did the first 6 testshots. Then I uploaded the last photo to find out the shuttercount: It was 6!!!

So I got curious.
Through good contacts and the serialnumber I could verify the history if this Pentax:
It was regularely sold in UK by a Pentax dealer but returned because it didn't work at all.
Ricoh couldn't find the fault and chucked it.

Somebody close to the repairshow somehow got hold of it and then sent it to his brother in France who finally sold it on ebay France
(both knowing it didn't work... the UK adress was still under the French shipping label!)
Interesting, and yet another brick in our wall of knowledge!
I also would bypass all of these needless switches that just present yet another possibility for a fault or failure.

In another field I once had an early Honda Mk2 Accord that was totally reliable, until I took a fast right-hand bend near our home at any speed in excess of 50MPH, at which point the ignition died and I had to coast to a halt at the very conveniently placed layby some 100 yards further on.A couple of minutes rest, and it started and drove faultlessly again. I mentioned this to a friend who I was giving a lift to a few days later, and as I spoke the words in the middle of the same corner the ignition died again!

My local Honda dealer solved the problem. It transpired the designers had incorporated an ignition kill-switch in the engine so that if the oil pressure dropped, it would protect the engine. It seems the oil surge caused by my cornering at speed had tricked the switch into a 'low oil pressure' mode, and killed the ignition. However I decided that if, for some inexplicable reason, the same situation occurred in the fast lane of a motorway, for example, the last thing I wanted was a dead engine and three lanes of fast-moving traffic to negotiate! better a damaged engine ( or not) than causing a serious accident. So I had it bypassed, and no more problems.

Sometimes designers can be too clever for their own good, and simplicity and functionality wins every time for me.