Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image Processing Software

I`m looking for opinions on a good processing software program that won`t break the bank . I`m new at this and find silkypix which came with my KS-2 very confusing . Thanks in advance .

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-16-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Title corrected
08-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

I'd start by trying Darktable or Raw Therapee since they are open source and free. I have been using Darktable for some time and in my opinion I'd get very little from a paid software.

If you decide to try Darktable there are a lot of good video tutorials on YouTube. Search for Bruce Williams Photography; he has done a really good module by module series.
08-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using Luminar Flex on my Mac and love it...
08-16-2019, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Best Photo Editor for Mac & PC - Luminar | Skylum

If you have at least 8 Gigs of RAM and a recent GPU...

It includes an organizer, but there is a lighter version without it called Luminar Flex. Version 4 will be out this fall, maybe...

Skylum Announces Luminar 4 with AI-Powered Automatic Sky Replacement

The current version only has a "sky enhancer".

08-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There’s also the free Faststone Image Viewer which has some really good processing tools, and a quick learning curve.
08-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K100082 Quote
I`m looking for opinions on a good processing software program that won`t break the bank . I`m new at this and find silkypix which came with my KS-2 very confusing . Thanks in advance .
Define "break the bank"?

There are several free programs that go from super simple to very sophisticated. So don't go jumping into any program without trying it first.

I use DXO PhotoLab 2 Elite which is a superb program but is $199 when not on sale. you can download a free trial of Elite here: DxO PhotoLab - DxO . PhotoLab 2 is not a subscription based program when you buy it you own it unlike subscription based programs that when used past the subscription date will no longer give you full functionality.

I also use Zoner ZPS-X which is a low cost but excellent program which has a really nice Digital asset Manager embedded. Zoner offers some really nice features for a very low subscription fee of $49/year which is very affordable. There is also a free trial for ZPS-X also. You can download it here: Download Zoner Photo Studio X .

Good Luck.
08-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
There’s also the free Faststone Image Viewer which has some really good processing tools, and a quick learning curve.
I agree it's a great program, but not quite up to par when it comes to RAW conversion... I use it for viewing pictures, comparing sharpness in bursts, deleting bad ones, resizing, cropping, rotating,... the copy/repair stamps are great as well for what they are. I am especially fond of the estimate of file size with the currently chosen quality parameters, and the batch conversion feature is really useful as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I use DXO PhotoLab 2 Elite which is a superb program but is $199 when not on sale. you can download a free trial of Elite here: DxO PhotoLab - DxO .
I've just had a few extensive looks at this since I am currently using DxO Optics Pro 11 Essential which they actually officially offered for free some time ago. When I tested the PRIME denoising back then it really blew me away, but I couldn't justify the cost of the Elite version just for this. But since then the ClearView function got some apparently significant upgrades and most importantly they included the control point feature from the NIK collection (and brushes and masks for other local corrections?). This sound really intriguing and I'll at the very least download the trial version to try it. I don't think I could justify paying the full price for it though. For half the price and with DxO ViewPoint thrown into the mix I wouldn't hesitate for a second, but this is just a bit much.

08-16-2019, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I agree it's a great program, but not quite up to par when it comes to RAW conversion... I use it for viewing pictures, comparing sharpness in bursts, deleting bad ones, resizing, cropping, rotating,... the copy/repair stamps are great as well for what they are. I am especially fond of the estimate of file size with the currently chosen quality parameters, and the batch conversion feature is really useful as well.

I've just had a few extensive looks at this since I am currently using DxO Optics Pro 11 Essential which they actually officially offered for free some time ago. When I tested the PRIME denoising back then it really blew me away, but I couldn't justify the cost of the Elite version just for this. But since then the ClearView function got some apparently significant upgrades and most importantly they included the control point feature from the NIK collection (and brushes and masks for other local corrections?). This sound really intriguing and I'll at the very least download the trial version to try it. I don't think I could justify paying the full price for it though. For half the price and with DxO ViewPoint thrown into the mix I wouldn't hesitate for a second, but this is just a bit much.
You'll have to watch for some of their discounts. They do that several times per year. I'm very fond of the program and once you get acquainted with the interface its a simple program. Clear View and Prime are worth the price of admission especially if you shoot a lot at Higher ISO settings or your camera is older and doesn't handle higher ISO very well.
08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been using Photoshop Elements for years. And while I find some aspects of the application very annoying, there is a lot of capability for the money. You can choose to use the software as a beginner, an intermediate or an advanced user. I've normally purchased it for around $60 when on sale and I only upgrade about every third version.
08-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you define what it is you most want to do? FWIW, I do 90% of my processing with Picasa. I need to learn some more advanced software, for certain.

YouTube and photo sites have a lot of great demos and tutorials.

No matter what you decide, the best thing you can do is devote a little time, 15 or 20 minutes every day to learning one of two functions over the course of a week or two.