Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it still worth while getting a Pentax k-s2 or would i be better off with a K3...?

Hi all,

So I'm looking at getting a crop sensor Pentax camera. Currently have a MF Pentax 645z and Nikon D810....

I only really plan to get the Pentax crop to pair with a 30mm and 50mm lens (a lighter ever day carry around camera, maybe use for travel with the 645z)

Is the Pentax ks-2 a good option, or should I be looking at something like a K-3ii or K-70????

Plan to spend around $500-$700 MAX on the body....

Some opinions and thoughts would be great.....?

08-20-2019, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if it's a smaller body you're after, think about a good used K-5 IIs...

slightly smaller than a K-3, but with all the pro-body features...
08-20-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

K-70....
08-20-2019, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2 and K-70 are similar, but the latter has a more customizable UI and noticeably better image quality (which also surpasses that of the K-3). So, I would go for the K-70 in that price range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I’ll look into the K-5iis too. I'm not overly worried about the size and weight, It’s not bigger than my Nikon d810 and not close to the 645z…… as said I only plan using smaller primes on it

Some reviews have said the 20.1 sensor on the ks2 is a little film like in its results? Rubbish? or it has?
08-20-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I do like my KS2. I liked the 16MP in the K30 I had (same as K5) also. Does anyone have side-by-side images of K70 and KS2? I've seen high-ISO images, and yeah, the K70 blows the KS2 away. Not sure below 3200?

Loads of examples on my Flickr.

Kozlok1 | Flickr
08-20-2019, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-S2 may have questionable aperture block build quality like the K-50 and K-30. I'd personally go K-70 or newer, or consider used K-5ii or K-3. My K-3 has been good and used can be found for around $400 or less.

08-21-2019, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I would go for a K70 instead of a ks2 or a second hand KP which might fit in your budget.
08-21-2019, 01:21 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I have both the K-S2 and K-70. I found that the K-70 is more responsive (both in function and autofocus, both of which may be placebo) and definitely handles low light better, with a bit more cropping room thanks to the bump in megapixel count and giving more scope for RAW file development being 14-bit (versus 12-bit for the K-S2).

However! Had I not snagged a marginally-used K-70 at a ludicrous price, I would have been absolutely happy with the K-S2 going forwards. It's a rugged, solid little unit, easy to function with buttons in a good place for my, admittedly quite slender, hands. The K-70 is, quite obviously, very similar in feel.

The aforementioned aperture block issues seem largely reduced with the K-70 and K-S2 versus, say, the K-30/K-50 models (of which I own a K-50 which is aperture blocked).

Last thing to note is that the KP is undoubtedly more 'premium' than the K-70 or K-S2, with it's ultrasonic dust cleaning, different aperture motor, improved shake reduction etc.

TL, DR; I would be happy going with the K-S2, K-70 or KP if I was looking afresh now, so the main differential would be budget. I think the cost of the K-70 (especially when it's on offer) is decently comparable to the K-S2 so you get a marked improvement for not a huge outlay. The KP has come up at stellar prices on the used market a couple of times, so if this was a clean example with a price around the RRP of the K-70 it would be a fantastic option. The only caveat here is that K-70s are now coming up on the used market for exceptional prices. As others have said, the K-70 is a great bang-for-buck option.
08-21-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few months back, pentax had a special on the K-S2 for $300 or with the 18-135 lens, $450. I snagged one for my wife. I looked to see if it was still available but couldn't find it. Instead, I fell upon this deal for a refurbished K-70 with 18-55mm lens for $550.
08-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the opinions and thoughts all. Currently I have an option to buy a ks-2 for $450 AU (with the 18-135mm lens of which I’ll most likely sell, as I only plan on using a 30/35mm and 50mm primes)

There is also a couple of k70 and k-3 in the price range around…..

Thanks again for the great information and thoughts all - Tim
08-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just an update on my final decision. I had planned on getting the Pentax K-S2, but…..

I saw a K-S1 with a 18-55mm lens on ebay auction. Won the auction and ended up getting it for $189 AUD after using an ebay code (Dead cheap).

Then I also brought a Pentax K70 with 18-135mm WR lens off ebay also, it was a demo with on 45 clicks, after adding an ebay code It ended up at $709

A little over my intended spend, but happy. Also just got a SMC 50mm DA 1.8 lens and SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL… Not sure how these will work out, but will see how they go…..

Most likely I’ll sell the 18-55 and toss up whether I sell the 18-135……

Thanks again for the opinions and thoughts
09-14-2019, 03:04 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timotis77 Quote
Just an update on my final decision. I had planned on getting the Pentax K-S2, but…..

I saw a K-S1 with a 18-55mm lens on ebay auction. Won the auction and ended up getting it for $189 AUD after using an ebay code (Dead cheap).

Then I also brought a Pentax K70 with 18-135mm WR lens off ebay also, it was a demo with on 45 clicks, after adding an ebay code It ended up at $709

A little over my intended spend, but happy. Also just got a SMC 50mm DA 1.8 lens and SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL… Not sure how these will work out, but will see how they go…..

Most likely I’ll sell the 18-55 and toss up whether I sell the 18-135……

Thanks again for the opinions and thoughts
Congratulations Tim. Both great bargains.

Don't rush to sell the 18-135. Paired with the K-S1 it will make a great grab-and-go (or leave hidden in the car) kit. Paired with the K-70, it's a great WR kit for bushwalking, cycle touring, boat cruises etc (with a mini-tripod, e.g. Gorilla pod, and maybe a filter for long-exposure pixel-shift shots). The 18-135 is surprisingly capable, for such a wide-ranging zoom. Corners are soft (although they improve stopped down), but centre sharpness is excellent - the combination allows for some 3D pop, with practice. It has good colours and microcontrast.

Despite the soft corners it can even produce acceptable landscapes sometimes. ;-)

(A number of these are with the K-S2.)
09-15-2019, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Congratulations Tim. Both great bargains.

Don't rush to sell the 18-135. Paired with the K-S1 it will make a great grab-and-go (or leave hidden in the car) kit. Paired with the K-70, it's a great WR kit for bushwalking, cycle touring, boat cruises etc (with a mini-tripod, e.g. Gorilla pod, and maybe a filter for long-exposure pixel-shift shots). The 18-135 is surprisingly capable, for such a wide-ranging zoom. Corners are soft (although they improve stopped down), but centre sharpness is excellent - the combination allows for some 3D pop, with practice. It has good colours and microcontrast.

Despite the soft corners it can even produce acceptable landscapes sometimes. ;-)

(A number of these are with the K-S2.)

Hi Des, Some great photos, I've seems many of yours on this site and am always wowed by them. Plus you’re are semi local to me, so I know many of the area's they are taken. Fantastic

Yes after a few weeks with both my K70 and K-s1, I tired the 18-135 on both and have chosen to keep it, as you say attach it to the ks1 and it’s a very portable little camera with a great lens which covers almost all required focal lengths.
I did also buy a 20-40mm Limited, second hand and find it absolutely brilliant, so having this and the 18-135 attached to either of the cameras makes for light and compact photography. (My wife likes this)

Thanks again for your thoughts and post, again.....Beautiful pictures...

09-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much for your kind words Tim.

Since you have a D810 and a Pentax 645z, I figure your expectations of an entry-level APS-C camera and wide-ranging zoom are suitably tempered! But for what they are (and for such a bargain price), they are amazingly capable. Very good that your wife likes them too.

I have the 20-40 Ltd as well and I find it a very nice lens too.

Look forward to seeing more.