Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2022, 02:24 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I actually like the smaller size, weight, and special "selfie" feature of the K-S2, better than having a K-70.
Weight: K70 10 grams more= Marginal, one won't be able to notice 10grams difference! A lenscap is heavier

Size (W X H X D):
K70: 125.5 x 93.0 x 74.0 mm (4.9 x 3.7 x 2.90 in.)
KS2: 122.0 x 91.0 x 72.5 mm (4.8 x 3.6 x 2.85 in.)

So the K70 is 3,5mm wider, 2mm higher and 1.5mm deeper = Marginal, hardly noticable!

No need for selfie-modus.... shaving in front of the mirror is "enough selfie"

06-29-2022, 02:26 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My K-S2 came from mpb in EX condition.. with a dead solenoid, though the live view mode nearly worked a few times. About 11k shots, must look up its birthday.
Well, EX condition is relative. How did they act/react/solve that stuck solenoid?

And yes, with a stuck solenoid LV works for a while.

How did you get on with this plan:
I spent the past week snaking out the kitchen sink, swapping out the disposal and reworking the plumbing beneath. Ended it with a chiropractor visit, snap crackle pop.

Think I'm almost ready for the Ks2 solenoid surgery!
06-29-2022, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We could both be right. Certainly I bought one of the very last K-S2s out there. I bought my (silver and white) K-S2 directly from Ricoh's USA website in early 2019, as a refurbished product with a 1-year warranty. Shutter count when I got it was 45. It is possible that my K-S2 was made in 2015, quickly developed solenoid failure under warranty, and Pentax shipped that owner a replacement camera while taking some time to repair and refurbish the one that I ended up buying. If something like that happened, my "salvaged" K-S2 might have a 2017 manufacture date encoded because that's when key parts were replaced. I got this camera for a song, $349, and if some other poor schmoe on this forum had their $800 K-S2 go dark after just 44 shots, I can only say that your loss was my gain!

I love, love, love this camera. I wish mine had the orange stripe on the bottom, and I wish it had wireless flash command built-in, but otherwise I think it's perfect. I'll buy the K-S3 the moment it goes on sale…so long as it isn't boring black.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That is interesting, as the K-70 was announced in early June, 2016, and was to be the replacement for the K-S2. But maybe they kept making the colorful versions of the K-S2 for a while. I actually like the smaller size, weight, and special "selfie" feature of the K-S2, better than having a K-70. Even though my KP is my most often-used body, and I have my old but still very useful K-5 IIs, as well as for FF shooting- my K-1 II, those special attributes of the K-S2, along with its more articulating screen, make it still the best alternative choice for some occasions, while also able to deliver very fine-quality imaging. I've enjoyed having this special model for over 6 years now.
06-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well, EX condition is relative. How did they act/react/solve that stuck solenoid?
And yes, with a stuck solenoid LV works for a while.
It really was in EX condition, and $250 was reasonable even with the malady. I thought it might be the issue when I paid that low price. I had planned on sending it back but life took me past their return date, and for the price I was OK with that.

The 18-50re and 35Ltd macro were the only lenses I owned that couldn't function, and the F17-28 and Sigma 50 macro were found for great prices. Let the 35 go, still have the 18-50 for post-surgery compact fun.

06-30-2022, 12:03 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really was in EX condition, and $250 was reasonable even with the malady. I thought it might be the issue when I paid that low price. I had planned on sending it back but life took me past their return date, and for the price I was OK with that.

The 18-50re and 35Ltd macro were the only lenses I owned that couldn't function, and the F17-28 and Sigma 50 macro were found for great prices. Let the 35 go, still have the 18-50 for post-surgery compact fun.
Ah... a shame you have to let go of the DA35/2.8ltd. I like it very much but the Sigma is indeed very good and has the A-ring.

So with the new member kspars519 and reh321 you could start a new club:
"ABF-green-button-club"