Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

KS-1 exif lens info

I wonder if anybody else had the same problem before. My KS-1 suddenly stopped saving lens info in the EXIF.
No matter which lens, the line that's supposed to have the lens name in it is always empty.
I wonder if that's a setting issue or a weird software/hardware bug.

10-07-2019, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this would normally only happen if the electrical connection with the lens is lost. In such a case, you'd also see F-- in the viewfinder and AF wouldn't work.

It could also be a software issue- how/where are you reading the exif? Have you tried uploading a photo through this tool to see if the tags are there? Lens exif is a little bit tricking because the camera doesn't actually store the lens name, but rather a code, so it's up to the software to figure out what that code means.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-07-2019, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Adam noted above, the camera writes a numeric code into the makernotes section of the EXIF and always writes something, even if the lens does not pass it an ID code through the mount data contact (e.g. "0 0" for no lens detected, "1 0" for K or M series, "2 0" for A series). Note that with very few exceptions, only auto-focus lenses pass a code to the camera. If you are not seeing a lens name, the most likely cause is that the software you are using does not support that feature or lacks a name in its look-up table for the code that is there.

Have you recently changed software for reading EXIF?

Steve
10-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
I normally use my ACDSee 9 for EXIF and development (not the best but at least quick). My guess would be on that software as the tool link (thanks Adam) shows the lens perfectly.
I guess it's time to upgrade the software then...

Thanks guys