Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Not using wifi transfer (not good for hundreds of photos to transfer)

How to transfer photos ( KS2 camera card ) to Samsung galaxy (android smart phone) by using SD card reader and a usb cable.
Give the name of the gears needed and software that you have tried ( not guessing pls. )

10-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,007
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
How to transfer photos ( KS2 camera card ) to Samsung galaxy (android smart phone) by using SD card reader and a usb cable.
Give the name of the gears needed and software that you have tried ( not guessing pls. )
You can't, I think. The problem is that Android's operating system will only allow reading Fat32 formatted cards (32mb card size limit) whereas the camera formats cards using exFat.

I struggled with this on a recent vacation and was finally able to find that limitation searching the net. I hope I'm wrong.
10-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,990
Copy the files to a computer via a card reader. Then copy them to a micro-sd card to put into the Galaxy phone. Or if the phone does not have a micro-sd slot then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
10-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,007
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
. . .then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
That how I've copied photos to my tablet.

10-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You can't, I think. The problem is that Android's operating system will only allow reading Fat32 formatted cards (32mb card size limit) whereas the camera formats cards using exFat.

I struggled with this on a recent vacation and was finally able to find that limitation searching the net. I hope I'm wrong.
Thank you everybody for your answers, appreciated, I still need answers.


I would like using the ff: IO gear GFR204SD and usb OTG cable not passing the computer. From camera card to android.

I am not sure about the phone that says about " rooted android phone " to work on the above gears. Can anyone clarify me about rooting the phone?
10-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,990
Please use the method described above. As far as I know what you are attempting to do cannot be done for reasons also explained above. I am certainly no expert but I researched this extensively in the past and the only way to get pictures onto the phone was via a computer. Or WiFi of course.

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
I am not sure about the phone that says about " rooted android phone " to work on the above gears. Can anyone clarify me about rooting the phone?
"rooting" means installing an alternate version of Android downloaded from the internet. This does of course void any warranty and requires a level of expertise in changing the operating system on your phone. If you research "rooting android" I am sure you will get a much more comprehensive answer.
10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,988
If you can't copy from the computer to the phone via cable and the OTG adapter you should be able to copy the files to a USB stick and then plug the stick into the OTG adapter. You might need the Smartswitch app to do the cable transfer.

10-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Copy the files to a computer via a card reader. Then copy them to a micro-sd card to put into the Galaxy phone. Or if the phone does not have a micro-sd slot then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
Using usb 3.0 on the computer and mini usb to one end of android, copy and paste or dragging file folder will work?
Can i use usb that is used in charging my phone?
Thank you.
10-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,241
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Copy the files to a computer via a card reader. Then copy them to a micro-sd card to put into the Galaxy phone. Or if the phone does not have a micro-sd slot then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
I second that! Works well.
10-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,990
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Using usb 3.0 on the computer and mini usb to one end of android, copy and paste or dragging file folder will work?Can i use usb that is used in charging my phone?
Yes and yes. That is what I have done. If you have a cable that will charge your phone from the computer you should also be able to transfer files. On mine it shows the phone as an external device similar to a USB hard drive.
10-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes and yes. That is what I have done. If you have a cable that will charge your phone from the computer you should also be able to transfer files. On mine it shows the phone as an external device similar to a USB hard drive.
Thanks. The problem is I can not bring my desktop computer to where I go like hotel or at field and wanted to transfer file to phone. This is only good at home and will buy small laptop computer to carry.

See this site: How to Transfer Camera Photos to an Android Phone | Tom's Guide

It is handy and everywhere I go very easy to use.

Has anybody have tried this?
10-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 8,988
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
See this site: How to Transfer Camera Photos to an Android Phone | Tom's Guide

It is handy and everywhere I go very easy to use.

Has anybody have tried this?
Seems pretty much what I suggested, cutting out the computer altogether and using a USB card reader directly into the Galaxy via the OTG adapter. I think I misread the page I looked at and Switchmount should have been Stickmount.

Stickmount app is free. The OTG adapter and USB card readers are inexpensive. No harm in giving it a try. The people on Tom's Hardware generally know what they are talking about. Even if it doesn't work the adapter and card reader are still useful enough that you won't have wasted your money.
10-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
In this video I would like to know if the phone has installed an operating software for the card reader or just plug and play.
Thank you for viewing this youtube video.



Last edited by Penview52; 10-12-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: The url did not appear on posting
10-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,815
There have been other threads on this site regarding OTG and results have been mixed depending on the phone or tablet used. As noted above, even with a successful connection, unless the phone is able to mount and read the file system on the remote device, nothing is going to happen. The cables are inexpensive, so there is no harm giving it a try.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: completeness
10-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,549
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You can't, I think. The problem is that Android's operating system will only allow reading Fat32 formatted cards (32mb card size limit) whereas the camera formats cards using exFat.

I struggled with this on a recent vacation and was finally able to find that limitation searching the net. I hope I'm wrong.
Yes, I ran into that problem at home.
The easiest solution is to use the smaller cards {I don't take that many images daily, even on vacation}.
The other solution was to down load an exFAT reader for Linux {exFAT was designed by Microsoft, and is formally patented by them}
I'm not sure about Android.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
android, card, course, hundreds of photos, k-s1, k-s2, phone, photos, transfer, wifi transfer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 & WiFi transfer BarryE Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 20 04-16-2018 05:32 AM
K-S2 wifi vs K-1 wifi robtcorl Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 7 04-03-2016 09:54 AM
Hundreds of tiny lenses LJ Hanekom Monthly Photo Contests 2 05-08-2015 08:31 PM
Wifi card slow transfer rate lotech Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 03-09-2014 07:45 AM
Russian meteor causes blast; hundreds injured jogiba General Talk 25 02-26-2013 09:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top