Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not using wifi transfer (not good for hundreds of photos to transfer)

How to transfer photos ( KS2 camera card ) to Samsung galaxy (android smart phone) by using SD card reader and a usb cable.
Give the name of the gears needed and software that you have tried ( not guessing pls. )

10-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
How to transfer photos ( KS2 camera card ) to Samsung galaxy (android smart phone) by using SD card reader and a usb cable.
Give the name of the gears needed and software that you have tried ( not guessing pls. )
You can't, I think. The problem is that Android's operating system will only allow reading Fat32 formatted cards (32mb card size limit) whereas the camera formats cards using exFat.

I struggled with this on a recent vacation and was finally able to find that limitation searching the net. I hope I'm wrong.
10-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Copy the files to a computer via a card reader. Then copy them to a micro-sd card to put into the Galaxy phone. Or if the phone does not have a micro-sd slot then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
10-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
. . .then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
That how I've copied photos to my tablet.

10-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You can't, I think. The problem is that Android's operating system will only allow reading Fat32 formatted cards (32mb card size limit) whereas the camera formats cards using exFat.

I struggled with this on a recent vacation and was finally able to find that limitation searching the net. I hope I'm wrong.
Thank you everybody for your answers, appreciated, I still need answers.

I would like using the ff: IO gear GFR204SD and usb OTG cable not passing the computer. From camera card to android.

I am not sure about the phone that says about " rooted android phone " to work on the above gears. Can anyone clarify me about rooting the phone?
10-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please use the method described above. As far as I know what you are attempting to do cannot be done for reasons also explained above. I am certainly no expert but I researched this extensively in the past and the only way to get pictures onto the phone was via a computer. Or WiFi of course.

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 09:46 AM ----------

I am not sure about the phone that says about " rooted android phone " to work on the above gears. Can anyone clarify me about rooting the phone?
"rooting" means installing an alternate version of Android downloaded from the internet. This does of course void any warranty and requires a level of expertise in changing the operating system on your phone. If you research "rooting android" I am sure you will get a much more comprehensive answer.
10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

If you can't copy from the computer to the phone via cable and the OTG adapter you should be able to copy the files to a USB stick and then plug the stick into the OTG adapter. You might need the Smartswitch app to do the cable transfer.

10-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Copy the files to a computer via a card reader. Then copy them to a micro-sd card to put into the Galaxy phone. Or if the phone does not have a micro-sd slot then use a usb cable from the computer to the phone.
Using usb 3.0 on the computer and mini usb to one end of android, copy and paste or dragging file folder will work?
Can i use usb that is used in charging my phone?
Thank you.
10-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second that! Works well.
10-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using usb 3.0 on the computer and mini usb to one end of android, copy and paste or dragging file folder will work?Can i use usb that is used in charging my phone?
Yes and yes. That is what I have done. If you have a cable that will charge your phone from the computer you should also be able to transfer files. On mine it shows the phone as an external device similar to a USB hard drive.
10-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes and yes. That is what I have done. If you have a cable that will charge your phone from the computer you should also be able to transfer files. On mine it shows the phone as an external device similar to a USB hard drive.
Thanks. The problem is I can not bring my desktop computer to where I go like hotel or at field and wanted to transfer file to phone. This is only good at home and will buy small laptop computer to carry.

See this site: How to Transfer Camera Photos to an Android Phone | Tom's Guide

It is handy and everywhere I go very easy to use.

Has anybody have tried this?
10-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

See this site: How to Transfer Camera Photos to an Android Phone | Tom's Guide

It is handy and everywhere I go very easy to use.

Has anybody have tried this?
Seems pretty much what I suggested, cutting out the computer altogether and using a USB card reader directly into the Galaxy via the OTG adapter. I think I misread the page I looked at and Switchmount should have been Stickmount.

Stickmount app is free. The OTG adapter and USB card readers are inexpensive. No harm in giving it a try. The people on Tom's Hardware generally know what they are talking about. Even if it doesn't work the adapter and card reader are still useful enough that you won't have wasted your money.
10-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In this video I would like to know if the phone has installed an operating software for the card reader or just plug and play.
Thank you for viewing this youtube video.

Last edited by Penview52; 10-12-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: The url did not appear on posting
10-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There have been other threads on this site regarding OTG and results have been mixed depending on the phone or tablet used. As noted above, even with a successful connection, unless the phone is able to mount and read the file system on the remote device, nothing is going to happen. The cables are inexpensive, so there is no harm giving it a try.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: completeness
10-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote

Yes, I ran into that problem at home.
The easiest solution is to use the smaller cards {I don't take that many images daily, even on vacation}.
The other solution was to down load an exFAT reader for Linux {exFAT was designed by Microsoft, and is formally patented by them}
I'm not sure about Android.