Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #1

Pentax k-s2 focus confirm

I recently bought a Pentax k-s2 and after using I was wondering whether it showed the focal positions used in reviewing the picture taken via a red dot? I have used both Canon 40D and Canon 70D and both these cameras have a focus conformation of the points used in the photo in playback mode. Unable to to find in manual anything equivalent.

10-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don’t think so, or at least not that I have seen either.
10-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't recall it ever being an option on my K-S2, nor it's successor the K-70.
10-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are in playback mode on the K-S2 and select the detailed information display, one of the fields displayed is the AF select grid with the spot used for the shot highlighted.

10-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all for replies. I have gone back and looked at the photos taken with the 5 options available for playback but none show red dots or dot for focal point on the actual photo. It does show the position on the sensor used under option 2 Detailed Information Display, thanks to reduno it is on the diagram to the right of the actual photo. Not as good as the Canon which shows red dot on picture.
10-23-2019, 03:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by galelegg Quote
Not as good as the Canon which shows red dot on picture.
I don't know if there are any software packages that will overlay the focus points on the actual photograph? The information is in the EXIF data but would need to be decoded differently for each camera model. Obviously the file would need to be uploaded to a computer as well.
10-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by galelegg Quote
I recently bought a Pentax k-s2 and after using I was wondering whether it showed the focal positions used in reviewing the picture taken via a red dot? I have used both Canon 40D and Canon 70D and both these cameras have a focus conformation of the points used in the photo in playback mode. Unable to to find in manual anything equivalent.

The red dot on canon might be the same as AF assist light in KS2.
Every camera has its way to present method but can not be same because of copyright invention.

10-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
The red dot on canon might be the same as AF assist light in KS2.
I believe the OP was looking for a way to overlay the focus point used during a shot on top of the picture being reviewed on the rear LCD. It appears the Canon has a method of doing this, but the K-S2 does not. I agree there may be copyright reasons that would prevent Pentax/Ricoh from doing exactly the same thing.
10-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I believe the OP was looking for a way to overlay the focus point used during a shot on top of the picture being reviewed on the rear LCD. It appears the Canon has a method of doing this, but the K-S2 does not. I agree there may be copyright reasons that would prevent Pentax/Ricoh from doing exactly the same thing.
Going back to the red dot it seems to me is "..Sounds like the focus point indicator to me... you can set it to show what focus point you used while viewing on the camera's LCD in canon camera." , since Pentax ks2 do not have this feature a red dot will appear on lcd if the camera is not in focus due to insufficient light or incorrect iso. I hope we are talking about apple to apple here.
10-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going back to the red dot it seems to me is "..Sounds like the focus point indicator to me... you can set it to show what focus point you used while viewing on the camera's LCD in canon camera." , since Pentax ks2 do not have this feature a red dot will appear on lcd if the camera is not in focus due to insufficient light or incorrect iso. I hope we are talking about apple to apple here.
I don't have experience with Canon cameras but it sounds like they use a red dot to mark the focus confirm point on the rear LCD during review of a captured image? I agree the K-S2 does not have this option during image review/playback.

In live view capture mode, the K-S2 uses a square box to indicate the focus point. This box is green if focus is locked, or red if the camera cannot obtain focus due to poor light, or insufficient contrast.

I think we are talking about the same thing but there may be a difference between when the camera is actually taking a picture, and when the captured image is being replayed. I believe the OP was interested in the later review/playback case.
10-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

P
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I don't have experience with Canon cameras but it sounds like they use a red dot to mark the focus confirm point on the rear LCD during review of a captured image? I agree the K-S2 does not have this option during image review/playback.

In live view capture mode, the K-S2 uses a square box to indicate the focus point. This box is green if focus is locked, or red if the camera cannot obtain focus due to poor light, or insufficient contrast.

I think we are talking about the same thing but there may be a difference between when the camera is actually taking a picture, and when the captured image is being replayed. I believe the OP was interested in the later review/playback case.

Galelegg experience is seeing a dead or hot pixels of canon when in playback mode. About focal position can be seen at Pentax histogram or the EXIF data tells all info.
10-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Galelegg experience is seeing a dead or hot pixels of canon when in playback mode. About focal position can be seen at Pentax histogram or the EXIF data tells all info.
I will have to let Galelegg answer that question, since I don't have experience with the Canon cameras he motioned. I agree that information about the focus point used for a shot is available on the detailed playback screen, and is also included in the EXIF data.