Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Get a real camera!
And that's without a battery!.

OT: The 6MP club shows what can be achieved with a lesser camera still. It's in the eye of the tog, not the wallet.

The K-S1 did get bad press here, so that may be the cause of friction. A PF own goal (.

11-13-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's the spirit!

What's that puny little black blob dangling from your neck strap? Get a real camera!
Now we're talking!
11-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think the comments that spurred this thread are not as severe as being represented.
I agree that they are not severe, it was just a bit surprising. I waited long enough that I don't think it will affect the commenter, who I could tell was just being sincere.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
wow - I'd almost expect it from someone outside our community, but definitely not from within...

this is the sort of garbage that almost (!) convinced me to leave the SIC community here on PF...

that's also the type of commentary that should be brought to the attention of the moderators, if only to establish a pattern in that member's behavior...
Well here I disagree, I think people have the right to disagree or even think something is not good enough or is plainly bad, if that is their opinion and if they do it respectfully. Which was the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
There are unfortunately a few people around here who think that it's what you own that makes you who you are, but thankfully they're pretty easy to avoid. Just never look at any thread with a title that begins with anything like: "Do I need to buy a. . . " And definitely stay away from those sorts of threads where people think they are proving scientifically that FF is always best (learnt my own lesson about that one lately, when a thread of that ilk reduced me to the sort of name-calling behaviour that I despise).
I stay out of most FF thread mostly because I don't want to stir up the GAS for the K-1

But I remember these threads in the past, they were really annoying beforet he K-1 came out, because it was people using other brands that would come in here and tell us how Pentax was not good enough because it was just APS-C (and they ignored Medium Format). I wonder if they do the same now at Fujifilm forums...

I thought those kind of discussions were a thing of the past but I admit that I don't go into the K-1 sub-forum.
11-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Utter tosh. The K-s1 is eminently capable. People here produce great stuff on *ist and K10s. I was walking with my dog when someone heading towards me had a look at my K3. She then said "oh its just rubbish". People who make statements like this are simply proving that they know absolutely nothing

11-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Utter tosh. The K-s1 is eminently capable. People here produce great stuff on *ist and K10s. I was walking with my dog when someone heading towards me had a look at my K3. She then said "oh its just rubbish". People who make statements like this are simply proving that they know absolutely nothing
That just tells me how mean people have become in this day and age... that was just out of spite...
11-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures taken with my K-S1 and the K 50 1.2 which prompted an interesting comment... another forum member asked why I would use such an expensive lens on such a cheap body (nevermind that the lens was essentially a freebie and has fungus!). When I asked why he would say that, the reply was that with the K-S1 he assumed most people would just use the kit lens, because it's such a cheap entry-level body...

It's actually the best camera I have... and I don't feel hindered by it as far as an APS-C body goes. The sensor is far more capable than the K-5 sensor and I don't think anyone with a K-5 gets looked down on for having a body that is perceived as not being good enough for a good lens...

My intention here is not to expose the commenter (and it's been long enough that the conversation will hopefully be hard to find). I just wonder if you feel any less for having a K-S1? I know it's a 2014 camera so about 5 years old now, and I'd get a KP if I could, but again, I don't think the K-S1 holds me back. What do you guys think?
I just searched and found the exchange you're referring to. I don't think the member was looking down at you, or intentionally denigrating the K-S1... I think maybe he was suggesting that most folks with a K-S1 tend to stick with kit lenses, due to its entry level position in the model line-up. But if so, I don't think that's an accurate assertion. As we know, the K-S1 is capable of outstanding image quality. You're more than justified in pairing it with good glass.

I shoot with whatever cameras and lenses I like, without a care for what anyone else thinks of my choices. I think you know I shoot a Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV, which I bought from B&H at an unbelievable discount just after the K-1 was announced but before it was released. A few Pentax fans thought (and probably still think) I was crazy. Sony fans laugh at it being a tarted up, overpriced A99. Hasselblad fans laugh too... they don't consider it a "real" Hasselblad. Hasselblad themselves barely acknowledge the model ever existed after the PR disaster it created. Yet here I am with a camera I love to shoot, that produces wonderful photographs.

Enjoy your K-S1 (I know you do)... It's an awesome camera
11-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just searched and found the exchange you're referring to. I don't think the member was looking down at you, or intentionally denigrating the K-S1... I think maybe he was suggesting that most folks with a K-S1 tend to stick with kit lenses, due to its entry level position in the model line-up. But if so, I don't think that's an accurate assertion. As we know, the K-S1 is capable of outstanding image quality. You're more than justified in pairing it with good glass.

I shoot with whatever cameras and lenses I like, without a care for what anyone else thinks of my choices. I think you know I shoot a Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV, which I bought from B&H at an unbelievable discount just after the K-1 was announced but before it was released. A few Pentax fans thought (and probably still think) I was crazy. Sony fans laugh at it being a tarted up, overpriced A99. Hasselblad fans laugh too... they don't consider it a "real" Hasselblad. Hasselblad themselves barely acknowledge the model ever existed after the PR disaster it created. Yet here I am with a camera I love to shoot, that produces wonderful photographs.

Enjoy your K-S1 (I know you do)... It's an awesome camera
Oh my intention wasn't that people dig up those posts... and I did say that I don't think it was mean at all, in fact when people suggested it shouldn't be allowed, I said I don't think that was the case... but it was a stereotyping of the K-S1 as an "inferior" camera, so I was asking if anyone else had gone thorugh something similar.

I like the A mount more than the E/FE mount, by the way. And there's some unbelievable deals these days in A mount! Lenses that used to cost thousands can be found for a hundred or two now that people have been dumping their A mount gear.

11-13-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That just tells me how mean people have become in this day and age... that was just out of spite...
A friend of mine use to say "Apathy defeats the devil". If you don't care, they can't hurt you. Despite us living in a liigeous society, people often seem less capable of common decency so we just have to shut them out. You know what they said was nonsense, evidence on here, flickr etc prove that they don't know what they were talking about so treat them with the contempt they deserve

---------- Post added 11-13-19 at 01:38 PM ----------

Oh my intention wasn't that people dig up those posts... and I did say that I don't think it was mean at all, in fact when people suggested it shouldn't be allowed, I said I don't think that was the case... but it was a stereotyping of the K-S1 as an "inferior" camera, so I was asking if anyone else had gone thorugh something similar.

I like the A mount more than the E/FE mount, by the way. And there's some unbelievable deals these days in A mount! Lenses that used to cost thousands can be found for a hundred or two now that people have been dumping their A mount gear.
Aaaaah, yes I have, from a probable know nothing canikon user. Their blinkers exclude them from consideration
11-13-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Your post came across exactly as intended, and was entirely respectful and reasonable

Minolta AF / Sony A is a good mount - and yes, I've been able to acquire some great lenses at silly low prices... lenses I simply couldn't have justified or - in some cases - even afforded were it not for the mount's demise The thing is, that glass is also supremely usable on E-mount with the LA-EA4 SLT AF adapter, but limited to the same AF functionality and performance as the A99... which, for me, is no problem

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
11-13-2019, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures taken with my K-S1 and the K 50 1.2 which prompted an interesting comment... another forum member asked why I would use such an expensive lens on such a cheap body (nevermind that the lens was essentially a freebie and has fungus!). When I asked why he would say that, the reply was that with the K-S1 he assumed most people would just use the kit lens, because it's such a cheap entry-level body...

It's actually the best camera I have... and I don't feel hindered by it as far as an APS-C body goes. The sensor is far more capable than the K-5 sensor and I don't think anyone with a K-5 gets looked down on for having a body that is perceived as not being good enough for a good lens...

My intention here is not to expose the commenter (and it's been long enough that the conversation will hopefully be hard to find). I just wonder if you feel any less for having a K-S1? I know it's a 2014 camera so about 5 years old now, and I'd get a KP if I could, but again, I don't think the K-S1 holds me back. What do you guys think?
I've always like the look and specs of the K-S1. No idea why it is not more loved. It's a very sleek design and there's nothing wrong with the specs. It's a very capable camera. I think you'd be capable of taking very good photos with that KS-1, quite possibly better than those taken by the photography snob who chose to deride your camera.

Think nothing of it, get out there and shoot great shots with your K-S1.
11-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I drowned my K-S1, but really enjoyed it for both its extremely small size and its excellent image quality - 20Mp with no AA filter. To replace it, I bought a K-S2 off Sandy Hancock, which is my current APS-C Pentax of choice.
11-14-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've always like the look and specs of the K-S1. No idea why it is not more loved. It's a very sleek design and there's nothing wrong with the specs. It's a very capable camera. I think you'd be capable of taking very good photos with that KS-1, quite possibly better than those taken by the photography snob who chose to deride your camera.

Think nothing of it, get out there and shoot great shots with your K-S1.
My daughter uses one a lot. I would say that if Pentax had sealed it, it would have been perfect. It took a lot of flak for the lights on the side, but you can turn those off. But it is small, gives excellent image quality and has a lot of features, including a full pentaprism viewfinder. What's not to like?
11-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the assumption made by the poster who made that comment is based on the statistical truth that most entry level bodies (I don't know if that's true for Pentax as well, but certainly for Canikon?!) rarely ever see anything else than a kit lens, and that body and lens price categories will match each other more often than not (?); someone who buys a K-3 II or KP will most likely not use only a 18-55 kit lens and nothing else.
He may perhaps also not have known that you got the K 50/1.2 at a bargain, amongst other things because of its condition.
And he may also have been surprised by the image quality the K-S1 is able to produce. It's basically a K-S2 without flippy screen, without WR and without a second control wheel, but at the same time even smaller, lighter and more affordable. I don't see anything in the missing features that directly impacts image quality, it's just a trade-off in ergonomics.
So one could argue if K-S1 and K-S2 are capable of producing good images. The sensor is newer and higher resolution than the those in the K-5 line, and I don't think anyone would argue that many fine pictures were produced with those cameras...

Then there's something else entirely to this. What are good pictures in the first place?
I think there are at least three different aspects to this: technical, artistic, emotional. I find myself mostly going after the technical side of things, looking for sharp and well-exposed pictures, more often than not ignoring or not paying enough attention to the composition or to being creative. When I photograph friends and family and try to sort through the pictures after the shoot, I may have missed focus a little or there may be a little motion blur or I cut off their heads or arms, but when a picture shows a genuine emotional expression I haven't gotten in technically better pictures, those may get a pass because of the content.
Only the technical side of things can be affected by the camera and lens used, the lens perhaps being even more important. The artistic side of things is left to the one pushing down the shutter button and post-processing the pictures. The emotional response that pictures evoke depends on the photographed subject, the relationship subject to photographer, the relationship subject to viewer... the timing, which may be affected by both the camera and the photographer...
So in my eye the camera itself, even if capable of putting out great image quality, only plays a small role in the process of producing great quality images, a bigger part playing the photographer's ability to use his gear.
And the K-S1 being an entry level camera (based on not a lot more than the price it sells for) may also make people suggest a relationship between the person using it and their photographic competence; someone just starting out with photography may not be willing to pay a high price for trying out the hobby in the first place, while someone having photographed for many years will most likely not buy an entry level camera when he looks for a new body.
All those certainly often true correlations then overshadow the rare exceptions, when someone uses an "entry level" body to photograph with expensive lenses and produces great images.
11-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I think the camera body is probably the least important thing to worry about. Some of my all-time favorite pictures have been taken with my K100D, and probably with the kit lens to boot!