Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will be curious as to what you find when you do the solenoid replacement. The place in California, Pentax Camera Repair (aka PC35 Photolab), also deals in salvaged camera parts and has been thought to do solenoid replacement using older models as donors.

Steve
I'm doing the repair today. Disassembly was easy. Getting the green solenoid out was easy too. But...I thought the bottom part of the solenoid fell inside the camera and I couldn't find it...turns out it just flipped behind the top of the solenoid. I've attached a couple of pics of the base piece.

Had a hard time soldering the wires back on. Finally got it though.

One last problem before reassembly. This part fell out and I don't know where it came from...last photo.

12-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
This part fell out and I don't know where it came from...last photo

Extra parts, particularly if they appear to have been secured by a screw, are never a good thing!

I don't know what a non-filed solenoid looks like, but given that you found a green one in the camera, it causes one to question just what the folk in California actually did.

Steve
12-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

Original Poster

Extra parts, particularly if they appear to have been secured by a screw, are never a good thing!

I don't know what a non-filed solenoid looks like, but given that you found a green one in the camera, it causes one to question just what the folk in California actually did.

Steve
I found out what that part it. It's the screen bottom hinge cover. I got the camera all back together and powered up and tested and there is something wrong. The mirror is not positioning correctly. When I turn the camera on the mirror goes up and back down. When focusing the mirror is moving and pictures aren't exposed correctly. Guess I'll be looking for a new camera.

---------- Post added 12-14-19 at 02:03 PM ----------

Steve
The white solenoid base prongs are rectangular. The green one was filed to points apparently.
12-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the camera all back together and powered up and tested and there is something wrong. The mirror is not positioning correctly. When I turn the camera on the mirror goes up and back down. When focusing the mirror is moving and pictures aren't exposed correctly. Guess I'll be looking for a new camera.
Well, that sucks. There are good prices on K-70 and KP right now.

Steve

12-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
Well, that sucks. There are good prices on K-70 and KP right now.

Steve
I know...I didn't wait long. I was looking at both those cameras and the KP was running $200 over the K-70... So I pulled the trigger on a K-70 in mint condition with 96 exposures on the shutter for $435. The KPs I looked at we're $600-$650 with 6000-8000 clicks. I'll probably sell the K-S2 on eBay for parts...maybe I'll get $50-$100 for it..or I might pick up a green solenoid and try again. I might have damaged the white one when I soldered it...I was having a tough time soldering the purple wire.

12-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

...but given that you found a green one in the camera, it causes one to question just what the folk in California actually did.
Indeed, and what a bad job. I wrote HERE in more detail about why sanding/filing can lead to problems, which happened here to Tony:
..... I got the camera all back together and powered up and tested and there is something wrong. The mirror is not positioning correctly. When I turn the camera on the mirror goes up and back down. When focusing the mirror is moving and pictures aren't exposed correctly....
The complete mechanism got out of alignment, this would now mean a new diaphragm control unit, which is much more complicated: Hours of work and an almost complete disassembly of the K-S2 (as well as K-70, 30, 50, 500). Maybe take the time to open it again:
Are both wires on the solenoid correct and not mixed up? Usually if this happens the solenoid pulls the plunger with extra strong force
instead of releasing it. There is a black wire near the solenoid, maybe this one got lose? Other possibility that one of the flexwires (flatwires) got bent or hurt?!

I don't know what a non-filed solenoid looks like....
A solenoid is never filed, it is just the plunger and a non-filed plunger looks like this:

Last edited by photogem; 12-15-2019 at 03:42 AM.
12-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Indeed, and what a bad job. I wrote HERE in more detail about why sanding/filing can lead to problems, which happened here to Tony:

The complete mechanism got out of alignment, this would now mean a new diaphragm control unit, which is much more complicated: Hours of work and an almost complete disassembly of the K-S2 (as well as K-70, 30, 50, 500). Maybe take the time to open it again:
Are both wires on the solenoid correct and not mixed up? Usually if this happens the solenoid pulls the plunger with extra strong force
instead of releasing it. There is a black wire near the solenoid, maybe this one got lose? Other possibility that one of the flexwires (flatwires) got bent or hurt?!

A solenoid is never filed, it is just the plunger and a non-filed plunger looks like this:
The wires are on the correct posts. The pink wire on the left, purple on the right.

---------- Post added 12-15-19 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

The is a possibility the purple wire came off on reassembly. Or I might have damaged the solenoid post with too much heat during soldering. I have a fine point butane soldering pen, but it's not as good as the Weller one I recently lost. I may open it up again and take a look.
12-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The white solenoid base prongs are rectangular. The green one was filed to points apparently.
Good enough. I have never seen one of the suspect solenoid plungers, modified (filed) or unmodified. That one looks to be a very careful job of filing.

Steve

12-27-2019, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Good enough. I have never seen one of the suspect solenoid plungers, modified (filed) or unmodified.

That one looks to be a *very careful* job of filing.
Doing a wrong job very careful doesn't change a wrong job into a good job!

Kind of like if you very carefully

pour sunfloweroil into your car

and hope it to work well:
01-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #25
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Last spring I sent out my K-S2 for the $100 solenoid repair. It work well but this week it's starting to return. I'm still under the 1 yr warranty though. Along with this issue I'm hearing a weird sound I never noticed before when I press the shutter release lightly. It sounds like a motor turning. I've attached a clip of the sound. Is this normal? I don't think so because I haven't noticed this before. Any idea what it could be and is it related to the solenoid issue.
Even though I'm under warranty for the repair, I think I'm just going the get the $45 white solenoid and do it myself.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File 2019_12_07_19_01_42.mp3
Unfortunately I found this too late to suggest that you watch the aperture while aperture is stopping down to see if sound occurred at the same time. Was sound still occurring after you made the swap?
01-11-2020, 03:25 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Unfortunately I found this too late to suggest that you watch the aperture while aperture is stopping down to see if sound occurred at the same time. Was sound still occurring after you made the swap?
Sound always occurs because aside of a non-functioning solenoid many other parts are in movment, particular the shutter, which is released with 2 even more powerful solenoids.

Last edited by photogem; 01-12-2020 at 07:42 AM.
03-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #27

Original Poster
Here is a video of the shutter fire now... When I turn on the camera the mirror goes up then down. When I fire the shutter the mirror goes up, then down, then back up, the shutter open and closed, then the mirror comes down.

https://nextcloud.zdatareports.com/index.php/s/C3TzroYo95gqjjP

03-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

When I turn on the camera the mirror goes up then down.
Historically this sort of thing on Pentax dSLRs has been due to main board problems, but for purposes of simplicity, we can blame it on the solenoid.

Steve
03-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #29

Original Poster
Historically this sort of thing on Pentax dSLRs has been due to main board problems, but for purposes of simplicity, we can blame it on the solenoid.

Steve
This only happened after replacing the solenoid. I'm not sure how a main board gets damaged during solenoid replacement...2 wires to solder...but maybe it did.

03-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This only happened after replacing the solenoid. I'm not sure how a main board gets damaged during solenoid replacement...2 wires to solder...but maybe it did.
On power-on, Pentax dSLRs home the aperture control mechanism. On your camera, the aperture and mirror control are integrated. I'm not an expert, but suspect that something was nudged out of place during the repair or was in an indeterminate state after the repair. Were the wires switched by any chance resulting in reversed polarity on the solenoid?

Steve