Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Solenoid problem return plus sound

Last spring I sent out my K-S2 for the $100 solenoid repair. It work well but this week it's starting to return. I'm still under the 1 yr warranty though. Along with this issue I'm hearing a weird sound I never noticed before when I press the shutter release lightly. It sounds like a motor turning. I've attached a clip of the sound. Is this normal? I don't think so because I haven't noticed this before. Any idea what it could be and is it related to the solenoid issue.
Even though I'm under warranty for the repair, I think I'm just going the get the $45 white solenoid and do it myself.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File 2019_12_07_19_01_42.mp3

12-07-2019, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I've attached a clip of the sound. Is this normal? I don't think so because I haven't noticed this before. Any idea what it could be and is it related to the solenoid issue.
The SR system makes a similar sound in live view. Might that be the cause?

Steve
12-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The SR system makes a similar sound in live view. Might that be the cause?

Steve
I turned off SR but still hear the noise. It stays on as long as the release is lightly pressed. When I lift off my finger the sound stop 2-3 secs later. I thought it might be related to AF but I set the camera the MF and still the same. It might be nothing, but combined with the solenoid issue it makes me nervous. The solenoid problem mostly happens when the camera gets cold. I had it with me in 20 degree temperature and had it occur.

12-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If still under warranty, let them fix the solenoid. The noise may or not be relate, but you will not know until that issue is fixed.

12-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
If still under warranty, let them fix the solenoid. The noise may or not be relate, but you will not know until that issue is fixed.
That true...fix the solenoid first. It's under warranty, but I'm going to have to spend ,$30 shipping both ways and I want to install the white solenoid this time so $45 more. Also I'll be without the camera for 3-4 weeks... I'll definitely have the conversation with them though. I'm paying $45 for the solenoid either way.

This morning I tested the camera at room temp and it was fine. It seems the cold weather exasperated the problem.

12-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last spring I sent out my K-S2 for the $100 solenoid repair. It work well but this week it's starting to return. I'm still under the 1 yr warranty though. Along with this issue I'm hearing a weird sound I never noticed before when I press the shutter release lightly. It sounds like a motor turning. I've attached a clip of the sound. Is this normal? I don't think so because I haven't noticed this before. Any idea what it could be and is it related to the solenoid issue.
Even though I'm under warranty for the repair, I think I'm just going the get the $45 white solenoid and do it myself.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File 2019_12_07_19_01_42.mp3
Interesting. In August 2018 I sent mine to the same place for the same repair, and the camera, which had light use actually since the repair, has failed, 15 months or so after the repair.
12-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That true...fix the solenoid first. It's under warranty, but I'm going to have to spend ,$30 shipping both ways and I want to install the white solenoid this time so $45 more. Also I'll be without the camera for 3-4 weeks... I'll definitely have the conversation with them though. I'm paying $45 for the solenoid either way.

This morning I tested the camera at room temp and it was fine. It seems the cold weather exasperated the problem.
Save the $ 30 for shipping and do it yourself.
It is straight forward and worth it.
And you know it was done correct.

12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Save the $ 30 for shipping and do it yourself.
It is straight forward and worth it.
And you know it was done correct.
That's what I'm going to do. I already ordered the white solenoid. Thanks for your how to post. It's very helpful.

---------- Post added 12-09-19 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Interesting. In August 2018 I sent mine to the same place for the same repair, and the camera, which had light use actually since the repair, has failed, 15 months or so after the repair.
Did you happen to contact the repair service? I'm thinking I might because he told me no one had yet had his repair fail.. and you and I make 2. I might send an email just to see what he says. I'm going to fix it myself this time.
12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you happen to contact the repair service? I'm thinking I might because he told me no one had yet had his repair fail.. and you and I make 2. I might send an email just to see what he says. I'm going to fix it myself this time.
I had several repairs of "officially repaired" Pentax K30/50/K-S2's which failed soon after this 1 year warranty for the repair.
Maybe wishfull thinking, who knows.

But it is pretty obvious that the failing-rate went very much down since Dec. 2015! You can check the manufacturing date of your K-S2 here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

All K-50/500's and K-S2/2's I had to repair were pre-12/2015. Of course, a few K-70's did fail as well but I think it stays within the very normal failing rate of any modern equipment!

The K-S1 and K-S2 are now about 4 years on the market and failure is very little. Compared to the failure of the K30 because of the solenoid this is almost nothing. It was about 18 month after the K30 came out that the first failures did occur, 2 years + a few month in EU (due to 2 yrs warranty there). Same for the K50 until Dec. 2015.

So I think what was mentioned in this thread was true, Ricoh did something serious about it.
12-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had several repairs of "officially repaired" Pentax K30/50/K-S2's which failed soon after this 1 year warranty for the repair.
Maybe wishfull thinking, who knows.

But it is pretty obvious that the failing-rate went very much down since Dec. 2015! You can check the manufacturing date of your K-S2 here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

All K-50/500's and K-S2/2's I had to repair were pre-12/2015. Of course, a few K-70's did fail as well but I think it stays within the very normal failing rate of any modern equipment!

The K-S1 and K-S2 are now about 4 years on the market and failure is very little. Compared to the failure of the K30 because of the solenoid this is almost nothing. It was about 18 month after the K30 came out that the first failures did occur, 2 years + a few month in EU (due to 2 yrs warranty there). Same for the K50 until Dec. 2015.

So I think what was mentioned in this thread was true, Ricoh did something serious about it.
Mine is from 2/2015. I got it with 600 clicks so it was barely used when I got it. It failed after 6 months...and it's been 9 months since the first repair.

12-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is from 2/2015. I got it with 600 clicks so it was barely used when I got it. It failed after 6 months...and it's been 9 months since the first repair.
So pre 12/2015. The low shuttercount is typical! That it were only 9 month is not so uncommon.
Take a photo of the green solenoid please (as close as possible and particular of the plunger and its surface) and post it here!

I can then see more about its age etc.!
12-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So pre 12/2015. The low shuttercount is typical! That it were only 9 month is not so uncommon.
Take a photo of the green solenoid please (as close as possible and particular of the plunger and its surface) and post it here!

I can then see more about its age etc.!
Will do...I just got the DA 35/2.8 macro and I'll get to use it .

12-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last spring I sent out my K-S2 for the $100 solenoid repair. It work well but this week it's starting to return. I'm still under the 1 yr warranty though.
I did not fully understand but now I got it (and correct me if I am wrong):
You did not send your K-S2 to for an "official repair" but to California:
Pentax Camera Repair - PC35 Photolab???

If so, this person most likely does apply the sanding-filing method!

So I am very curious for your photos!
12-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did not fully understand but now I got it (and correct me if I am wrong):
You did not send your K-S2 to for an "official repair" but to California:
Pentax Camera Repair - PC35 Photolab???

If so, this person most likely does apply the sanding-filing method!

So I am very curious for your photos!
Yes, you're correct. I tried the $100 repair (plus shipping). I bought the camera used from Roberts Camera for $330 with no lens and around 600 exposures on it. I didn't want to do the $200 "official" repair because it had the same risk of reoccurring.

12-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you're correct. I tried the $100 repair (plus shipping). I bought the camera used from Roberts Camera for $330 with no lens and around 600 exposures on it. I didn't want to do the $200 "official" repair because it had the same risk of reoccurring.
I will be curious as to what you find when you do the solenoid replacement. The place in California, Pentax Camera Repair (aka PC35 Photolab), also deals in salvaged camera parts and has been thought to do solenoid replacement using older models as donors.

Steve