Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Trouble updating firmware on K-S2

Hello! I'm very new to photography and to my K-S2. I tried to do a firmware update but can't get beyond this step (from Ricoh site on how to update firmware):
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.10 /1.11→1.20 will be displayed.

When I try to do this, my camera doesn't have anything appear on the LCD monitor. I tried it many times. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice or tips that I may find helpful?

Thanks!
Stacy

12-10-2019, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stacyinphoenix Quote
Hello! I'm very new to photography and to my K-S2. I tried to do a firmware update but can't get beyond this step (from Ricoh site on how to update firmware):
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
Ver: 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.10 /1.11→1.20 will be displayed.

When I try to do this, my camera doesn't have anything appear on the LCD monitor. I tried it many times. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice or tips that I may find helpful?

Thanks!
Stacy
You need to simultaneously push the menu button and then turn on the camera. Make sure you have a memory-card inserted in the camera, complete with the bin file in the root folder of the card.
12-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And make sure the battery is far from empty. I think it will not even start the process when the battery is too low, but when it does and gets interrupted in the process by the battery draining, you're going to have a bad time.
05-03-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #4

I am having the same problem with my KS-2. I have followed the directions exactly. I downloaded the update. Unzipped the .bin file. Transferred it to a formatted SD card, in the root directory and inserted it in to the camera, held down the menu button and turned it on and the camera starts up as usual. I have 3 Pentaxes...the KS-2, K-70 and the K-3. They all need to be updated but I am having no success. Any other ideas?

---------- Post added 05-03-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

OK...I know this will shock you but it was user error on my part so I have now successfully update all 3 of my cameras. I thought I was putting the .bin file in the root directory of the SD card but I was putting it into the DCIM folder.

05-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmroll Quote
I am having the same problem with my KS-2. I have followed the directions exactly. I downloaded the update. Unzipped the .bin file. Transferred it to a formatted SD card, in the root directory and inserted it in to the camera, held down the menu button and turned it on and the camera starts up as usual. I have 3 Pentaxes...the KS-2, K-70 and the K-3. They all need to be updated but I am having no success. Any other ideas?

---------- Post added 05-03-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

OK...I know this will shock you but it was user error on my part so I have now successfully update all 3 of my cameras. I thought I was putting the .bin file in the root directory of the SD card but I was putting it into the DCIM folder.
Well done! That does seem to be one of the more common faults.
05-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmroll Quote
.. . . OK...I know this will shock you but it was user error on my part so I have now successfully update all 3 of my cameras. I thought I was putting the .bin file in the root directory of the SD card but I was putting it into the DCIM folder.
" user error "

what a concept

[ a very common problem for myself and some others here as well ]