Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
It's rather odd, since the 18-50 is focus-by-wire. That means that if the autofocus is somehow broken, manual focus should also be broken.

Besides, using the 18-50 in manual focus is rather awkward : actual focus modification will lag behind ring action, and it is rather imprecise. It is the only lens I own that I will never try to focus manually.
It actually WILL focus (the motor isn't broken) but it hunts back and forth and will not lock onto a proper focus. Maybe I just need to recalibrate it?

12-25-2020, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mean.... what the hell lens have to to with firmware update? I know that there are updates of lenses done, but this one was a pure body firmware - right? So there might be an issue with the body-lens communication. Actually, interesting - could you give some more update? Did you try with other body?
12-25-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
I mean.... what the hell lens have to to with firmware update? I know that there are updates of lenses done, but this one was a pure body firmware - right? So there might be an issue with the body-lens communication. Actually, interesting - could you give some more update? Did you try with other body?
Difficult to say without the faulty lens and firmware internal details.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the update, but the lens failed at this exact time?

Or perhaps the firmware has updated its code related to lens commanding (very likely since it now handles KAF4) ; the problem on the lens was already existing but invisible with the older code ; wheres the new code may be less tolerant. It's only a wild guess.
12-26-2020, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One can only guess but what fact is:

- the K-S2 works fine with the new lens (replacement)....
- and thus: The firmware update had nothing to do with the problem, it was sheer accident that the lens broke at the same time

I don't think a firmware update would mess-up a lensrom. There are many lensroms available but not for the DA-L 18-55:
Dropbox - Pentax - Simplify your life

Anyway the DA-L18-50 is not a very good lens, just nice quiet and o.k. otherwise.
Not a zoom I would use.

If a cheap zoom, the old SMC Pentax F35-70 is pretty good.

But I'd prefer the DA50/1,8 + DA35/2,4, far superior.

Of an old favourite: DA16-45/f4,0 Ed Al...!!!

12-26-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Difficult to say without the faulty lens and firmware internal details.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the update, but the lens failed at this exact time?

Or perhaps the firmware has updated its code related to lens commanding (very likely since it now handles KAF4) ; the problem on the lens was already existing but invisible with the older code ; wheres the new code may be less tolerant. It's only a wild guess.
This might make sense... Firmwared messed up with lens communication.
12-26-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
This might make sense... Firmwared messed up with lens communication.
Nah, thats luckily not the case: If the firmware would be messed up, it would remain messed up
But it isn't, firmware is alright, only the lens is not working

If the firmware would be messed up he would have to send it in!