Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-S2 wifi issues

I have been using Image Sync with my K-S2 and rarely had any issues until they updated it in July. I use it on an iPhone. It took several tries during the summer but I got it working and have used it since often w/o issues.

Today, I tried to use it and app wouldn’t connect to my camera via wifi (iPhone running iOS 14.2), and I updated Image Sync. Connection issue and app freezing just got worse! Then my wifi icon refused to light up even though pushing the button I could hear it enable as well as see it on the screen. On my phone, it will connect to wifi then I get a message of no connection.

I have deleted and reinstalled the app. Hard reset of my iPhone. Manually selected wifi from menu. Reset wifi transfer rate. Replaced camera battery. Verified Image Sync has everything turned on correctly in phone/app settings.

Finally, after reaching someone at Ricoh, he had me reset camera to factory settings. This did allow my wifi icon to light up when the button was pressed but would immediately lose wifi connection on my phone. I can get a wifi connection long enough to verify the camera is connected in Image Sync under the device information setting then connection is lost.

Is anyone else having or ever had wifi issues with their K-S2? Or is this an iphone issue? Any idea how to tell which might be the problem, camera or phone?

TIA

Attached Images

12-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The easiest way to find out if it's a camera issue would be to test the connection with another device. One option would be to try connecting using your computer:
Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com

My suspicion is that the image sync app isn't fully compatible with the latest iOS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The easiest way to find out if it's a camera issue would be to test the connection with another device. One option would be to try connecting using your computer:

My suspicion is that the image sync app isn't fully compatible with the latest iOS.
Took your advice and borrowed another iphone and installed Image Sync. Had the exact same issues arise. Called Ricoh again...suspect motherboard is going out. Changing camera settings with top dial from Auto through User 2, camera didn’t register program changes except in Manual and Bulb. Factory reset camera again and camera setting functions were restored. Ricoh did suggest perhaps trying to reinstall firmware to see if it helps as a last ditch effort. Sucks because I’ve already had the aperture failure. Really careful using camera too.
So pretty much use it until it dies.

---------- Post added 12-22-20 at 01:12 PM ----------

Only other thing is to try Image Sync on an Android phone and see what happens.

---------- Post added 12-22-20 at 01:21 PM ----------

Off to locate a neighbor who has an android

---------- Post added 12-22-20 at 01:23 PM ----------

Image Sync not being compatible with the latest iOS was my first assumption.

---------- Post added 12-22-20 at 01:27 PM ----------

Thanks for the link. I’ll check that out as well.

Last edited by Phyllis; 12-22-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Removed emoji
12-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Changing camera settings with top dial from Auto through User 2, camera didn’t register program changes except in Manual and Bulb.
Is there a problem with the lens? Usually that should only happen if the lens isn't recognized by the camera. I might try another one just in case. If that doesn't help then indeed, there could be an issue with the camera's electronics.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Is there a problem with the lens? Usually that should only happen if the lens isn't recognized by the camera. I might try another one just in case. If that doesn't help then indeed, there could be an issue with the camera's electronics.
Yes, you are correct. I had a vintage lens on the camera. Swapped it out to the original kit lens and camera setting did change appropriately. I usually only shoot with vintage glass. Thanks for this bit of important info! It makes my anxiety over the camera failing a bit less.
03-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
Closed Account

Instead of starting another thread, I'm just curious if the wifi in the camera can connect to your home wifi network to transfer files from camera to computer?
03-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
No as far as I know it cannot connect directly to my wifi. Ricoh has since fixed the bug in the Image Sync app and although I had to load all images from my iPhone first, I can now get my camera to connect to the app via the camera’s wifi and password. It’s a pain to get everything loaded to the app each time before I can see my new images on my phone but at least it’s working!