Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Where can i find a replacement cable for my KS-2's internal LCD?

Hello,

My secondhand(no warranty) pentax KS-2's internal LCD stopped displaying images today. Everything works fine with an external display. After opening it up, I saw that the video cable for the screen was all frayed up. I called pentax's listed repair service and they said its 250 minimum to even work on the camera before parts. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement cable for my screen? I really need this camera for school (I'm a photo/film student in college) and absolutely cannot afford the repair cost. Alternatively, does anyone on this forum have a junked KS-2 I could buy off them for parts? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100  Photo 
02-02-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oof. Brutal that a little frayed cable might cost you $250.

Thing is, and it's good news/bad news: the K-S2 appears to be a far healthier camera than the K-30 and K-50. So there might not be all that many junk K-S2 cameras around to be cannibalized for parts. I think it's well worth the repair, but I remember my college days, and I might not have been able to swing $250 back then, either.

Hopefully, somebody here can tell you if that cable is common among other Pentax cameras.

Let us know how it goes. If it becomes an issue of not being able to complete your coursework, I have a full-functional K200D I could lend you for the semester. I'm not going to pretend my K200D can do all that my K-S2 can, but PM me if you'd like a free loaner.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 02-02-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarified repair cost
02-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Oof. Brutal that a little frayed cable might cost you $250.

Thing is, and it's good news/bad news: the K-S2 appears to be a far healthier camera than the K-30 and K-50. So there might not be all that many junk K-S2 cameras around to be cannibalized for parts. I think it's well worth the repair, but I remember my college days, and I might not have been able to swing $250 back then, either.

Hopefully, somebody here can tell you if that cable is common among other Pentax cameras.

Let us know how it goes. If it becomes an issue of not being able to complete your coursework, I have a full-functional K200D I could lend you for the semester. I'm not going to pretend my K200D can do all that my K-S2 can, but PM me if you'd like a free loaner.
wow, i really appreciate that offer! the kindness of strangers always amazes me. I think if the camera is irreparable, I'll ask if any of my professors have a loaner unit or something until I can get working again.

I agree that 250 bucks would be a reasonably fair price for a repair, but the person i spoke to said their base fee is 250. That's not including parts, labor, and shipping. For now, I'm gonna try to DIY it with a 3.5 inch raspberry pi display I have on hand. It'll be a pain setting up an external screen/battery bank every time I take a shot with it, but its better than nothing.
02-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JohFredersen Quote
wow, i really appreciate that offer! the kindness of strangers always amazes me. I think if the camera is irreparable, I'll ask if any of my professors have a loaner unit or something until I can get working again.

I agree that 250 bucks would be a reasonably fair price for a repair, but the person i spoke to said their base fee is 250. That's not including parts, labor, and shipping. For now, I'm gonna try to DIY it with a 3.5 inch raspberry pi display I have on hand. It'll be a pain setting up an external screen/battery bank every time I take a shot with it, but its better than nothing.
Wouldn't it be possible to carefully strip the cable and try to identify the broken wire so you can solder (bridge) it as a temp fix?

02-02-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #5

You can try USCamera.com might have it. They used to be able to get parts but perhaps not since Ricoh seems to have gotten more restrictive
02-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can try USCamera.com might have it. They used to be able to get parts but perhaps not since Ricoh seems to have gotten more restrictive
There you go, my thoughts too Nan!

Pentax K-S2 Parts List | Digital SLR | USCamera Pentax Parts | DownloadsUSCamera
02-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Wouldn't it be possible to carefully strip the cable and try to identify the broken wire so you can solder (bridge) it as a temp fix?
It may be, but i doubt it. The cable is extremely thin and im not confident that a handheld soldering iron could fix something like that.

02-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may be, but i doubt it. The cable is extremely thin and im not confident that a handheld soldering iron could fix something like that.
Good thing to be cautious about. It sounds as if you have busted a $3 wire on an otherwise working camera. Go in there with a soldering iron and you could very well do big-dollar damage.

I'm a big fan of taking apart old tech and trying to fix stuff that you can't otherwise save. But this is a very nice 2016-era camera you're using for school, so yeah, keep the soldering iron far away and try to hang in there somehow until you can get it fixed by someone skilled at this.

Some colleges have budgets and grants that are available to cover these sorts of emergencies. Ask politely at financial aid, the dean of the photography department, etc. $250 is big money if you're a college student, but it is not big money if you're an Assistant Dean of Financial Aid. Doesn't hurt to ask. Keep us updated.
02-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

Have you thought about the Image Sync app?

...by installing the newly developed, exclusive Image Sync application on a communications device, the user can effortlessly control the K-S2’s aperture, shutter-speed and ISO-sensitivity settings, release its shutter, check the live-view image...
02-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Have you thought about the Image Sync app?

...by installing the newly developed, exclusive Image Sync application on a communications device, the user can effortlessly control the K-S2’s aperture, shutter-speed and ISO-sensitivity settings, release its shutter, check the live-view image...
the image sync app requires you to enable wifi in the cameras settings every time you turn it on.
02-04-2021, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Albums
I have my K-S2 apart - was not working when I got it off ebay - it seems it got some water damage and messed up the main board. The LCD panel however works. Here is a link to my first 'help' post that has some pictures.

If you want to buy it as a spares machine, I am open to that - I dont need this. I can send you more pictures with a battery inserted to show the LCD working.

K-S2 problem - no live view, no saving pictures, freezing, etc - PentaxForums.com

Samir.
02-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

My secondhand(no warranty) pentax KS-2's internal LCD stopped displaying images today. Everything works fine with an external display. After opening it up, I saw that the video cable for the screen was all frayed up. I called pentax's listed repair service and they said its 250 minimum to even work on the camera before parts. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement cable for my screen? I really need this camera for school (I'm a photo/film student in college) and absolutely cannot afford the repair cost. Alternatively, does anyone on this forum have a junked KS-2 I could buy off them for parts? any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you have any experience with fine soldering (pencil-tip is a must)

Such a cable-set is much easier to fix than you think.

Either one of the wires is broken (to be measured for impedance) or the insulation is gone of one or two wires produces a short.

$ 250 just as a basis plus plus....: Rip-off!

Could be even that you don't have so solder but find a solution to insulate one or two wires.
Of course best would be to unsolder, put a thin heat-shrink over it and thats it then.
10-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP, did you ever get this fixed? How are things going now?
10-21-2021, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best to check on the other posts of a threadopener
The screen died on my KS-2, so I improvised. - PentaxForums.com
Everybody there was thrilled about how he solved it, I would for sure have tried first to repair the wire.

But yes, I think if somebody opens a thread, asks questions, gets help/suggestions some answer could be given (in that very thread)
Even if just based on politeness

Last edited by photogem; 10-21-2021 at 12:12 AM.
10-23-2021, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Sure did, a nice user on here had a dead KS-2 that had been making the rounds for parts. I was able to yank the cable from that guy and swap it into my camera. 6 months later still going strong.