Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
For someone in Australia who can't find a solenoid, I have a couple of the white ones.

An edit just to add - if anyone in Australia does have that problem check with C R Kennedy first, they might still fix it if the camera has not had a lot of use.
Bummer, just waited a month to get one delivered from the US... should have read this forum first!

Have successfully replaced my K-S2 green solenoid with a white one, as per the guide here. Shutter count on mine was 4,065 photos, shutter started playing up about 50 photos ago.

06-20-2021, 01:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forsythem1972 Quote
Bummer, just waited a month to get one delivered from the US... should have read this forum first!

Have successfully replaced my K-S2 green solenoid with a white one, as per the guide here. Shutter count on mine was 4,065 photos, shutter started playing up about 50 photos ago.
Well done.
Low shuttercount, which is often how it happens: One doesn't use the camera for a longer period et viola... ABF AHOY!
Not always, but much more often, that it happens like that.
06-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, well done, they are worth the effort, especially with low usage, you should get a few years now at least.
06-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What might be interesting is, if as many as possible failed-aperture-solenoid camera serial numbers were all logged in one place, it might be possible to see a pattern, maybe a specific batch of cameras, which may be more prone to failure, to enable any potential purchaser to consider their options. This of course assumes there was more than one batch of solenoids involved, that one batch was used up before the next was started and that the cameras were serialised more or less by production date.
Just a thought

06-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, there is no link to time and serialnumbers nor a bad series.
07-18-2021, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Church Key Quote
My K-s2 just developed the aperture block problem. This is after I just added a couple of lenses to what has basically been a closet queen which I've mainly used for pics to sell stuff on eBay. Have stopped dealing with eBay selling due to their revised payment policies, so decided to get back into general photography. Mine was made in 04/2015 and has 1,900 actuations; hardly used. I now test it daily by checking the live view aperture and at the present time seems to clear after one click. Have ordered a white solenoid from the eBay vendor in Japan recommended in this forum as don't feel like spending $500+ for a K-70 at the present time. If it craps out completely, might have to get one anyhow, and sell the K-s2 after its fixed. I've had Nikon's and Cannons in the dim-distant past and never have had issues like this with any of their equipment. If it wasn't for the excellent Pentax viewfinder, I'd just get a good point and shoot and forget about it. This has made me more grouchy than normal. Bah Humbug!
I know how you feel. I had the problem twice with my K-S2 and once with my K-70. But once you get the white solonoid and do the install, it's like the grey clouds clear away and the sun comes out. You'll never have to worry about this again.

07-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
... it's like the grey clouds clear away and the sun comes out. You'll never have to worry about this again.
This made me smile... I've really enjoy taking my "new" camera out recently. Losing something makes you really appreciate it...