Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Closed Account

New to k-s2. I'll put my questions here

Question 1) The camera is saving files as "read only" for some reason.
My Gimp stable version won't open them, but my Gimp beta version will.
I see there is an option in camera to unprotect all files. But is there an option in camera to save files as read and write (from the start) ?

03-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might help to say what file format you are saving in, jpg or DNG or? Not sure if the K-S2 does PEF or not but changing it to DNG might make things more compatible if you are shooting RAW.

No idea why the camera is saving the files as read only. Are you sure it is the camera and not the card set to read only?
03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
jpg. I believe it is a Gimp problem (because it doesn't occur with Gimp beta).
I discovered that Gimp stable will not open the files from the SD card, but if I move the folder/files to my computer, then it will open them.

on to question 2: About the flash. On my k-r, my flash would pop up when camera thought it needed it. Seems like with the k-s2 (in auto mode), the flash won't pop up on it's on in a totally dark room. Is it just the nature of this model that one has to press the button to pop the flash up?

This is no big deal - just making sure the camera is operating normally.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-04-2021 at 01:34 PM.
03-04-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the sd card locked? Maybe the stable version needs to create temp files in the same directory as the file?

03-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the sd card locked? Maybe the stable version needs to create temp files in the same directory as the file?
The sd card is unlocked. I'm 100% sure it's a Gimp problem, as the beta works fine. There is also a Gimp problem at retaining exif for Penatx cameras, that is going to be fixed in the next stable release (and already fixed in the beta version).

On to the flash. I'm interested in knowing if the flash on the k-s2 ever pops up on it's own. Just checking to see if my copy is working normally.
03-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I'm interested in knowing if the flash on the k-s2 ever pops up on it's own.
Can't help on that. Is it addressed in the manual? Some cameras (if I remember right) had a setting that changed the behavior of the pop up flash. I haven't had a camera with a pop up in a long time so I'm no help.
03-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The flash will never pop up by itself.

If you want no flash, do not open it. If you want flash, open it beforehand, and it will be used (whether needed or not).

It's the same behavior on other Pentax SLR cameras with built-in flash as far as I know.

I never had read-only files with my K-S2 though.

03-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote

If you want no flash, do not open it. If you want flash, open it beforehand, and it will be used (whether needed or not).

It's the same behavior on other Pentax SLR cameras with built-in flash as far as I know.

Thanks for the info on the flash. I'm glad my copy is working normally. FYI some earlier models like the k-r would pop up the flash on it's own.

As far as the file/read only problem. I'm quite sure it's a Gimp stable release bug. Stable release won't open it from the SD card - it must be copied to the computer first. Gimp beta will open it from either.

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 03:05 PM ----------

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 03:06 PM ----------

Question 3: For manual lens with aperture ring, to use green button as Tv shift (to select shutter speed), I do the following (right?). Go to e-Dial Programming-->Go to M (in menu 2), and change green button icon to read TvSHIFT next to it (instead of it saying P Line).
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-04-2021 at 03:09 PM.
03-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Attempt to resolve question 1

Question 1) The camera is saving files as "read only" for some reason.
My Gimp stable version won't open them, but my Gimp beta version will.
I see there is an option in camera to unprotect all files. But is there an option in camera to save files as read and write (from the start) ?
I do not own a k-s2, but if the camera is suggesting you to “unprotect them all”, it might be because the “protect” option is already turned on to begin with...

It may worth a try to unprotect them all (and toggle the option off). And take few shots and see the results.
03-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m fairly certain my k100d super and k100d and pz-1 all popped up in certain modes. Also why would some bodies have solenoids in the flash area if they can’t open by themselves?
03-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
Question 3: For manual lens with aperture ring, to use green button as Tv shift (to select shutter speed), I do the following (right?). Go to e-Dial Programming-->Go to M (in menu 2), and change green button icon to read TvSHIFT next to it (instead of it saying P Line).

Question 4: How high an ISO on the k-s2 before noticeable noise can be seen.
03-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question 4: How high an ISO on the k-s2 before noticeable noise can be seen.
Only you can answer this. Each person has a different tolerance. I know people who see noise at iso 100 on the k-3.
03-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m fairly certain my k100d super and k100d and pz-1 all popped up in certain modes. Also why would some bodies have solenoids in the flash area if they can’t open by themselves?
I used to own a K100D Super but it was long ago. Perhaps I misremember. Anyway, on the K-S2 and on the KP, the release is purely mechanical, only the user can free the internal flash on both bodies.

On the K-S2, my safe upper ISO limit was 1600. Even if 3200 was perfectly usable, I thought noise could be easily seen. But yes, it depends a lot of people, and also a lot of what you are actually photographing.
03-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to own a K100D Super but it was long ago. Perhaps I misremember. Anyway, on the K-S2 and on the KP, the release is purely mechanical, only the user can free the internal flash on both bodies.

On the K-S2, my safe upper ISO limit was 1600. Even if 3200 was perfectly usable, I thought noise could be easily seen. But yes, it depends a lot of people, and also a lot of what you are actually photographing.
I have confirmed that many models had this feature in the auto/green mode but all of those had electronic latches using a solenoid. The k-s1 and k-s2 use a mechanical only latch. The upper end models seem to not do this also. I’m assuming because there was an assumption that the users know what they are doing.

It’s pretty easy to see which cameras have a mechanical pop up. First the button is on the side of the flash area. Second when the flash is popped up the button will move the release catch repeatedly if pressed several times. In addition, the button works with the camera powered off. The older models with electronic release generally repositioned the button to the back and these only operate with the camera on. Additionally while the flash is up, pushing the button doesn’t move the release level as far as I can tell.

I can’t recall if I mentioned the pz-1, if I did and if I said it popped up I think I was wrong. The release functions without any batteries in the camera which makes me think they wouldn’t have two different mechanisms to release and that one is purely mechanical.
03-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for your help. I think all my questions are answered. Well, no one commented on question 3, but I'm fairly confident I'm right on that one.

I found this video last night, which is not a review, but a pretty good beginners tutorial for the k-s2: