Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It was indeed on page 3 of the spanner menu. Here they called it reset. If you performed that i guess it might be the solenoid problem.

04-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unclerickety Quote
A solenoid is an electric switch so should either work or not
Wrong, and if you study the supplied links, then you have a chance to understand.

This forum is full of threads concerning the solenoid, so I will now not explain everything anew.

Anyway: Do you know what Av and Tav is and how to use it or do you use Auto Mode?
04-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unclerickety Quote
I have uploaded a picture and checked the info, don't know what I am looking for so screenshotted it for you to see, Is there anywhere in the UK that I can buy the white solenoid as the one on the link is in the states and postage is 33% on top of the purchase price, thanks

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 12:43 PM ----------

Yes, thanks, I have had a look and hoped I wouldn't have to strip out the camera but would be happy to do so as a last resort, If I stripped it out I could see if the solenoid worked by putting a voltage across it,

A solenoid is an electric switch so should either work or not, has anyone done this and what power should I use without frying it. The power pack for the camera is 7.5 Volt.
I think what the others said is right. The solenoid is going. Basically, the aperture isn't opening up to what the camera thinks it is set to. Let's say you take an image at f4, well, since the solenoid doesn't allow the aperture to open then the camera thinks the aperture is f4, but the actual aperture is f22.

You can still use the camera with a lens with an aperture ring but otherwise you have to decide if it is worth fixing (or if you can do the job yourself).
04-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you use the DA55-300 PLM, it sets its own aperture so will be fine with your K-S1.

Ditto with lenses that have aperture rings as Rondec points out, of course!

04-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a "semi dead" K-30 still works happily with M42 ,K and M lenses.
Upgraded the firmware to Ver 1.10 ( hacked ) so I can use DA55-300 PLM , BIG thank you to clever Pentax hackers!
The replacement white solenoid is rather expensive so do not know if I will go that way.
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay

Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan

I might consider modifying it into IR.
Have ordered URTH IR Filter (Plus+) will try that first
04-21-2021, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have a "semi dead" K-30 still works happily with M42 ,K and M lenses.
Upgraded the firmware to Ver 1.10 ( hacked ) so I can use DA55-300 PLM , BIG thank you to clever Pentax hackers!
The replacement white solenoid is rather expensive so do not know if I will go that way.
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay

Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan

I might consider modifying it into IR.
Have ordered URTH IR Filter (Plus+) will try that first
I am selling white solenoids in the marketplace. I don't think you are on my waiting list yet, so if you are interested, please let me know. Search the "sold" listings. I'll have more available soon.

I'm just commenting to point out that there is (at least for now) at least one alternative to that Ebay seller - an alternative who has no profit motive.

Last edited by jon.partsch; 04-22-2021 at 12:53 PM.
04-22-2021, 12:16 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi , yes I did see your comments but you are in California , how much would be the cost of postage to Western Australia?

04-22-2021, 04:56 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats what we have the PM for.
Remember: Every member who has written a post in this thread will usually get a mail if somebody wrote a reply.
That is good so, but such messages belong to PM's!
05-04-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
Hooray!!!!!

we are in business, thanks guys for all the info.

I ordered a Japanese solenoid from an ebay seller and when it came it blew my mind.

How will a sausage fingered individual solder wires onto a piece of high tech a quarter the size of a postage stamp!

I bottled it and took it to my electronic engineer brother (retired). He enjoyed the challenge.

When we switched it on nothing happened until I put the camera onto video mode and there was a click from within, returned to photo mode and we were away.

Hopefully, it will be a while before anything else goes wrong.

NB the old solenoid was solid when removed and the replacement had the inner fall out when unwrapped.

many thanks for your knowledge guys, fantastic response for a newbie's question, thanks again
05-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done!