Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

K-S1 taking very dark pictures

I have a K-S1 and it was working fine, I have played around a bit with settings whilst not really knowing what I was doing.
I tried taking pictures recently and all I get is very dark pictures, I mean real dark, only just see an image.

I have tried to reset the camera and it makes no difference, the video mode allows me to see an image ok.

Please help, my grand daughter has just got her first camera and wants us to go out snapping and I am embarrassed to say I have messed up big time.

Thanks in advance

04-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Good evening Unclerickety. Did you reset the camera to the factory settings? If not, try to reset to factory settings. It can be anything that is set to a wrong value. The iso setting can be at fault, or the shuttertime, the aperture or the white balance or any combination of these settings. What lens did you use on the camera?
04-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Search aperture block failure. I know that we often hear about k30, k50 and k70 but I think the ks1 and ks2 share the same part
04-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read these links:

These are "sticky" articles at the top of this forum

How to detect aperture block failure on Pentax K-S1 (and K-S2) - PentaxForums.com

Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1

If this is your problem, then the replacement part is available on eBay or directly from me (wait-list)

04-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As the others have said, quite possibly the Apature block. I replaced the solenoid on my K-50 a few years back and it works great now. Lots of resources and how tos here.
04-20-2021, 08:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unclerickety Quote
I have a K-S1 and it was working fine, I have played around a bit with settings whilst not really knowing what I was doing.
I tried taking pictures recently and all I get is very dark pictures, I mean real dark, only just see an image.

I have tried to reset the camera and it makes no difference, the video mode allows me to see an image ok.
It is with 99% certainty the solenoid which is stuck.

It is typical that you see a picture in videomode because it is in LV mode (Live-View).
You might even for a short time have alright pictures using LV.

You've got already the links, the repair is pretty easy if you dare.

What would be interesting to know is the shuttercount, i.e. how many actuations it did.
You can check this by uploading a JPEG photo:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
It doesn't matter if it is a black photo.
04-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh poor man
my K-30 just failed with this condition but my K-s1 still ok, fingers crossed!

04-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #8

is there an official statement somewhere on which cameras are affected and how often it happens? I was using a K-30 from launch until last year (mostly as second body for the last 2-years) and and never had an issue with aperture block (with k-30 or any earlier Pentax).. Now I'm thinking about a second-hand old flagship (k5-k3ish) as a second body just because I want something that will not die on me and can take a beating. Aperture block failure is the opposite of that ;/
04-21-2021, 12:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased my K-30 brand new , had it for 9 years and was going great till the last month.
Yes as a reliable back up I would recommend K-5 / 3 series or KP
04-21-2021, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
Is there an official statement somewhere on which cameras are affected and how often it happens?
No, there never was.
Read:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
gives you some insight.
Cameras affected a lot:
K30/K500, pre-12/2015 manufactured K50, K-S1, K-S2

Less:
post-12/2015 manufactured K50/K-S1, K-S2
and K-70 (was introduced manufactured later)
04-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Good evening Unclerickety. Did you reset the camera to the factory settings? If not, try to reset to factory settings. It can be anything that is set to a wrong value. The iso setting can be at fault, or the shuttertime, the aperture or the white balance or any combination of these settings. What lens did you use on the camera?
Hi, thanks for the reply, I found two reset areas in the menu, I reset both (1 in page 3 of Spanner menu and 1 in page 4 of the "C" menu) neither said factory settings.

I have fiddled with the above settings with no success, the lens was purchased as part of the camera - Pentax 18-55

Don't know where to go from here
04-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, thanks for the reply, I found two reset areas in the menu, I reset both (1 in page 3 of Spanner menu and 1 in page 4 of the "C" menu) neither said factory settings.

I have fiddled with the above settings with no success, the lens was purchased as part of the camera - Pentax 18-55

Don't know where to go from here
Testing and repair information links have already been provided. Did you check them out? In case you missed it before, here they are again...

These are "sticky" articles at the top of this very forum that - they should be among the first threads at the top of the K-S1 & K-S2 forum page, but again, here are the direct links:

How to detect aperture block failure on Pentax K-S1 (and K-S2) - PentaxForums.com

04-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It is with 99% certainty the solenoid which is stuck.

It is typical that you see a picture in videomode because it is in LV mode (Live-View).
You might even for a short time have alright pictures using LV.

You've got already the links, the repair is pretty easy if you dare.

What would be interesting to know is the shuttercount, i.e. how many actuations it did.
You can check this by uploading a JPEG photo:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
It doesn't matter if it is a black photo.
I have uploaded a picture and checked the info, don't know what I am looking for so screenshotted it for you to see, Is there anywhere in the UK that I can buy the white solenoid as the one on the link is in the states and postage is 33% on top of the purchase price, thanks

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Testing and repair information links have already been provided. Did you check them out? In case you missed it before, here they are again...

These are "sticky" articles at the top of this very forum that - they should be among the first threads at the top of the K-S1 & K-S2 forum page, but again, here are the direct links:

Yes, thanks, I have had a look and hoped I wouldn't have to strip out the camera but would be happy to do so as a last resort, If I stripped it out I could see if the solenoid worked by putting a voltage across it,

A solenoid is an electric switch so should either work or not, has anyone done this and what power should I use without frying it. The power pack for the camera is 7.5 Volt.
Attached Images

04-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #14

Original Poster
I have uploaded a picture and checked the info, don't know what I am looking for so screenshotted it for you to see, Is there anywhere in the UK that I can buy the white solenoid as the one on the link is in the states and postage is 33% on top of the purchase price, thanks

Yes, thanks, I have had a look and hoped I wouldn't have to strip out the camera but would be happy to do so as a last resort, If I stripped it out I could see if the solenoid worked by putting a voltage across it,

A solenoid is an electric switch so should either work or not, has anyone done this and what power should I use without frying it. The power pack for the camera is 7.5 Volt.
Sorry, this is what you meant by Camera data etc
Attached Images

04-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The solenoid performance should be checked using the procedure outlined in the link I provided. The problem with the solenoid appears to be related to the materials of it's construction causing excessive friction and/or corroding and interfering with the magnetic/electrical properties. In other words, it's an issue of slow deterioration, not an acute failure. If you open the camera to test the solenoid, you are likely to jostle it loose or do something else that might make it work temporarily while the underlying problem still remains. So, I would not recommend testing the solenoid in the method you describe.

~ Jon